Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 10:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Sustainable Sailing

For those that truly care about the Oceans, there is an interesting article on 11th Hour Racing promoting sustainable sailing. Of particular note in the article is a comment pertaining to the use of single use water bottles and the like which came up, indirectly, in a recent thread concerning cleaning one's water tanks in which some commented that they never drink water from their tanks, which IMHO somewhat defeats their purpose and, as a by-product, generates and unconscionable amount of plastic waste. N'any case it is a worthwhile read and a commendable effort.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:08   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Sustainable Sailing

Nice short read. Kinda shows how far we’ve fallen when “avoiding” the use of "800 single-use plastic bottles and 364 sandwich wrappers” is now an environmental achievement.

I really don’t understand how people cruise using bottled water as their consumption source. I can’t imagine the amount of garbage or recycling this would generate on board my smallish vessel, let alone the storage space required to pack it all in.

In nearly 20 years of seasonal cruising (ranging from two to seven months each year), I’ve never felt the need to carry bottled water (outside of emergency reserves). I clean my water tank, and use simple filters. Zero problems so far.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I've bought less than a gallon of bottled water in civilized environments, since it became a thing, anyone else remember when Perrier hit the US?

Always thought the whole concept just ridiculous.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:21   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

And yet, I run into people all the time buying cases of bottled water, cause they wouldn’t dare drink the water from the tank?
I saw it in George Town, in the store where the dinghy dock is, that has the facet where they give away free RO water.

Of course to be honest I can’t imagine buying water, I guess “pure air” is next?
What amazes me is that bottled water is often way more expensive than milk or gasoline, and if you look at the labels, the source is often some municipal water supply.

Single use plastics irritate me, I guess because I’m old enough to remember how well waxed paper worked for straws, cereal bags, covering for crackers, milk containers etc.
There was nothing gained with plastics over paper and waxed paper from what I can see, it must be cheaper?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 12:44   #5

I do own 3 plastic water jugs that we store our drinking water in that comes from our water maker but I’ve owned them for over 5 years. If I’m in an area that I can’t make water in I’ll buy one of those large 20 litre bottles and transfer to my jugs, I never keep the bottles, do it at the location and leave empties there. We are careful with plastic R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 13:16   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I haven't drunk from a single use water bottle since Nov 2000, I will not let them in my boat or home.......have converted most friends over to the light side......my beer comes from the brewery in one of my growlers......leaves just wine in recylable bottles......it's easy if you try.....most don't even try......
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 13:22   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Hey, I've published multiple articles on water treatment and avoiding bottles. Seems... obvious. And in truth, it is EASIER than toting plastic all over the place, even if money and the environment didn't matter (and they do).

IMO, it is immoral to waste money, no matter how much you have. Someone else could use it.
Old 12-04-2019, 13:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Regularly clean the built in tank and installed a filter and separate spigot for drinking water. Tastes perfect and not bottles to throw away.

However I do confess to an addiction to carbonated water. Recently purchased a Sodastream and plan to eliminate the cans of LaCroix as well.

When offshore or in isolated areas I do keep some jugs of emergency water on board. Otherwise, no single use plastics if I can avoid it. You can wash, dry and reuse plastic bags as well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 14:42   #9

To me it’s more about the logistics and cost, although the environmental waste of single-use items (be they plastic or fibre) is always hard to accept. No surprise though — most of us have grown where disposability is a selling feature.

But seriously … if you’re cruising for weeks or months at a time, where the heck do you put all this bottled water? Even in big 5 gallon jugs, where does it all go?
Old 12-04-2019, 15:47   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

We use this at home and I plan to use it on my boat when I finally buy one. Because I already own it and it's portable. https://theberkey.com/
It is pricey but I'm not inclined to install a whole house system here since I intend to sell this house. Perhaps there is an alternate, more permanent, boat filtration system that can be installed in its place? I'm not sure. Also, not as as pricey as buying bottled water year round, everything considered. And also, unless you research, most bottled water do not filter to the degree that the berkey filters do. I have no investment in this company other than I am a happy customer.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 16:04   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

This is a list of contaminants it removes

https://theberkey.com/pages/test-result

Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 17:29   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

FWIW I have been sailing for 60+ years (as such my daughter says "daddy, you're as old as dirt!"); and, drinling from our shipboard water tanks whenever, having drawn water from cisterns in Martinique to community spigots in Tortola and I ain't dead yet (that I'm aware of) and have suffered no unusual discomforts. Simple water purification and maintenance protocols and diligence in re: filtration and one's good to go without a ton of plastic waste in one's wake. The discharge of Plastic crap is killing our Oceans/Sea Life and needs to stop!

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 18:11   #13
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The discharge of Plastic crap is killing our Oceans/Sea Life and needs to stop!
Oh, it will, one way or another, it will. . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kali2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	189982
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 19:25   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I've got a dozen or so "single use" plastic water bottles. They are several years old and sit in the bottom of my freezer as a "heat sink" and emergency reserve.

Also useful to put on top of the frozen goods in the esky when I empty the freezer to de-frost it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 06:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
We use this at home and I plan to use it on my boat when I finally buy one. Because I already own it and it's portable. https://theberkey.com/
It is pricey but I'm not inclined to install a whole house system here since I intend to sell this house. Perhaps there is an alternate, more permanent, boat filtration system that can be installed in its place? I'm not sure. Also, not as as pricey as buying bottled water year round, everything considered. And also, unless you research, most bottled water do not filter to the degree that the berkey filters do. I have no investment in this company other than I am a happy customer.
That’s an interesting looking filter GG. So, it will remove down to virus level stuff. That’s pretty amazing. I’ve never heard of a gravity-feed purifier that can do this. That seems impressive.

The negatives of having this on my boat would be how and where to store it. Looks like it would occupy a rather large area of my counter space. And you’d have to secure it some way … but interesting.

I actually carry my old camping water purifier hand pump on board. A Katadyn Pocket Filter. If my tank ever became contaminated (with anything other than sea water) I could filter it for consumption.

But like I say, in nearly 20 years of cruising I’ve never not used our tank for drinking. And as svHyLyte so aptly put it: I ain’t dead yet .

Tags
sail, sailing