Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 12:47   #16

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: Superyacht "Serene" Aground in Red Sea

There is a great series on TV called "Below Deck" which is a reality show about life for the crew on a superyacht,.

Best reality show on TV.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 14:01   #17

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Plenty of Royal Navy vessels have come to grief using 'old school' navigation. Glass screen navigation was fairly recently introduced, so I don't think it possible to make statements as to the relative cock ups of either.
Like many things, it is the leadership that counts in reducing the incidence of errors by constantly keeping the bridge team up to scratch. People have a tendency to slack off otherwise. We are all human and make mistakes. Most of us could provide several anecdotes of our failings to a yachting confessional, I know I could
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 14:07   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
There is a great series on TV called "Below Deck" which is a reality show about life for the crew on a superyacht,.

Best reality show on TV.
the priorities are different to other sea occupations, the centric is to be invisible from the client, and they sign a non disclosure agreement supporting that.

Something certainly went wrong here, was it cutting corners to make time, was it the skipper slacking off, we probably wont ever find out.
Old 27-08-2017, 18:07   #19

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Not being judgmental, but please advise from what source you have secured your facts.

Under old school it was very rare for the Navy to find themselves in todays predicament. More real world, and less tech, creates better sailors. Tech creates a false sense of security. Computers and the like provide a video game environment to life in all areas these days. While necessary, they are still not as smart as a well trained and aware sailor, especially relating to ever changing and current conditions.
I guess Neptune's statement is sourced and secured on experience and common sense. It sure matches my experience.

Navy's had all sorts of navigation predicaments in the times of only the "old school". Search on HMAS Melboune's collisions with US Navy.

If you take a ten year average, at least where I'm am, old wrecks, incl. navy wrecks, were many tines more abundant than new ones, despite shipping volumes increasing manyfold.

(The US navy this year might be an exception?)

So of course, to be most safe, we combine all available schools and knowledge, "old" and "new". But for the sake of discussion, if I had to pick only one, gimme the full range of electronics with almost no seamanship, rather than the other way around. (That will be contentious).
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 03:39   #20

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Try this for a beginning http://www.agcs.allianz.com/about-us...ew-2016-press/
Old 28-08-2017, 12:00   #21

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
I guess Neptune's statement is sourced and secured on experience and common sense. It sure matches my experience.

Navy's had all sorts of navigation predicaments in the times of only the "old school". Search on HMAS Melboune's collisions with US Navy.

If you take a ten year average, at least where I'm am, old wrecks, incl. navy wrecks, were many tines more abundant than new ones, despite shipping volumes increasing manyfold.

(The US navy this year might be an exception?)

So of course, to be most safe, we combine all available schools and knowledge, "old" and "new". But for the sake of discussion, if I had to pick only one, gimme the full range of electronics with almost no seamanship, rather than the other way around. (That will be contentious).

We certainly have redundant electronics onboard. We use them as our backup not our primary source of information as we have found they cause us to become lazy and or dependent. (See report on the AGEAN crash into NORTH CORONADO island) We use paper charts, rulers, and dividers as our primaries.

Not too long ago a friend from Florida moved to Panama. Twice a year he returned to Fl to visit family and secure needed items. For the first eight trips he never even had electronics on board, and sailed by compass and other old school gear. On his ninth trip he put a GPS on the boat. On this return trip he placed his CSY 44 on a reef near Belize while relying on the GPS. The boat, his home, was lost. I spoke to him later. He advised that he had, on board, a book from Nigel Calder, in which Calder warned if you go to the Western Carib relying only on GPS, you will be on a reef with a week.

Old School keeps us sharp and actively interested and aware.

To each his own. Agree to disagree.
Old 28-08-2017, 12:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time on quite a few different superyachts - and I may or may not have spent time on Serene, I'm not at liberty to discuss that But it's amazing to me that something like this could happen with all the technology they have on board. Something had to go pretty badly wrong for that to happen.

Now other disasters like electrical fire, plumbing breach, or running out of Cognac, I could understand.
So, to what extent do the super yacht employers go to to discourage discussion of what goes on on these super yachts? Offers of money, threats of legal action? Just curious.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 12:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post

Best reality show on TV.
More like fake drama. Nothing more than a soap opera.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 14:40   #24

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
More like fake drama. Nothing more than a soap opera.
yes.
But entertaining soap opera.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 20:29   #25

Boat: Bertram MY 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
I've a feeling that we are seeing Russian/Chinese spoofing of GPS/GLONASS
Bill

SuperyachtNews.com - Fleet - 134m ‘Serene’ runs aground in Red Sea

"The vessel is reportedly bow-up on the rocks, and has sustained structural damage to the bulb, bow and hull...."
Yep, somebody F***ed (fouled ) up.
We can all speculate on lots of things and hear all kinds of excuses. Bottom line; Somebody F***ed (fouled) up.
Capt Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 22:55   #26

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
So, to what extent do the super yacht employers go to to discourage discussion of what goes on on these super yachts? Offers of money, threats of legal action? Just curious.
Standard non-disclosure agreements. I'm sure there's some legal recourse, suing for money or something. Mainly you end up blacklisted in the industry and can't work with any of them ever again. But you also have to consider who the owners of the larger yachts are, and if they don't like you that could be very bad for you.

The variety to which it's upheld is really hit and miss. I've talked to crew members who basically tell you everything, including personal information about the owners, before you even ask. And I've talked to crew members who wouldn't tell me something project related even though they were aware it was something I already knew, but had forgotten, even if it pertains to work I'm doing on the ship. They either don't respond, or tell me I have to review the documentation. Like, what the heck, I was on board last week looking at this and forgot how it's installed. Just tell me so I don't have to dig through pages of documentation.

Most of the personal stuff is mundane. Not much juicy scandal info. The technical stuff is actually a lot like any other ship, or office building. And the owner/guest spaces are typically very nice, but not "blow your mind" impressive until you get to some of the really exclusive ships. A lot of that is available for viewing online. Even pictures of Serene are online. That boat looks freaking huge.

https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/lu...155/serene.htm
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 06:31   #27
SFS

And apparently intent on having all the toys: the ad says the submarine is on order.
SFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 14:40   #28

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS View Post
And apparently intent on having all the toys: the ad says the submarine is on order.
Sounds about right. I've been on a few yachts that have small subs. It's always kind of weird to see. Just walking around checking wifi signal strength throughout the ship, checking out the posh rooms, and neat mechanical systems. Then you open a door and there's a freaking submarine sitting there with a crane to move it into the water.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:16   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Well, it happens to the best of us. . . .

SuperyachtNews.com - Fleet - 134m ‘Serene’ runs aground in Red Sea

"The vessel is reportedly bow-up on the rocks, and has sustained structural damage to the bulb, bow and hull...."

Apparently owned by Saudi Arabia's deputy crown prince:
https://yachtharbour.com/news/new-yo...ht-serene-1181

Not really cruising news on the scale we normally experience, but still of interest similar to the recent US Navy follies.

Maybe this time heads really will roll. . . . .
Im sure the captains head will literary roll.
uspatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:51   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
Not being judgmental, but please advise from what source you have secured your facts.

Under old school it was very rare for the Navy to find themselves in todays predicament. More real world, and less tech, creates better sailors. Tech creates a false sense of security. Computers and the like provide a video game environment to life in all areas these days. While necessary, they are still not as smart as a well trained and aware sailor, especially relating to ever changing and current conditions.
Not that rare:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Point_disaster

Nothing that bad has happened in the "tech" era.

Good seamanship is good seamanship with or without technology.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht