Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 11:06   #46
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Chief Noriega
I did think thats a great name for a Police Chief
__________________

__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 11:13   #47
Registered User
 
Piglet's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: nothing
Posts: 164
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

LOL

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-MrG39P0A1q...os+noriega.jpg
__________________

__________________
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 11:30   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Isla Saboga, Las Perlas, Panama
Boat: 1994 Hunter 37.5
Posts: 163
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Thats exactlly what I'm refering to..If I buy the property, and I pay the taxes based on that waterfront property with the view, And the property taxes are based on value of the property.. the value is HIGH because of the view, so I am in fact paying taxes on the view of that water..
The water is yours to use, but I pay the government for the view I have..
If my home, as well as the homes at sunset lake in Miami, were backed up to some alley on some backstreet, the value would be far less as well as my taxes.. but mine, as well as those on sunset lake are valued based on the view and taxed accordingly..
so Life liberty and persuit of hapiness, I pay a fair amount of fees for the happiness i have and the life I lead..
and again, the water is not mine, but the view is...........
But, as you say, the taxes on your property are determined by its market value, which is already negatively affected by the fact that the waterway is public access. So, you would have had to pay even more taxes if it were private, as that would drive the market price up even higher than it is now. The taxes you are paying are lower than they would have been without all the riff-raff and bass fishermen, so in essence, you are benefitting from their presence.

See, there's always a positive side to things!

I'm like you, though. I can't count the number of lures and fishing lines I've had to untangle from my lifelines, sail cover, bimini top, and even wrapped around the spreaders - all from fishermen who are trying to get up under my dock and boat to get to the fish. And then fly in and out of the slough totally disregarding the 'No Wake' bouy, and then their wake slams my boat around and erodes my seawall.

There are rights, and then there's common courtesy.
__________________
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 11:52   #49
cruiser
 
canucksailor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: beautiful anchorages
Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Posts: 347
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Quote:
the value is HIGH because of the view, so I am in fact paying taxes on the view of that water..
Enough of this bogus logic. If you pay more to get something you clearly don't have a right to in law, expecting that the higher price you've paid as either taxes or higher purchase price gives you some entitlement, you're simply not as clever as you think you are. In fact, I'd argue it makes you pretty dumb sounding.
That's rather like saying 'I bought a Ferrari that will do 180 mph, therefore, I have the right to do so'.
If you buy a house near an airport, what on earth makes you think you can object to the passage of planes over your home and the ensuing noise? You bought it fully aware of the conditions inherent in the location and have effectively given up any right to protest.
Same with buying waterfront. Boats are an inherent part of the water and to not expect to see one anchored from time to time is pretty darn stupid. To expect never to see anything less than Hinckley quality is naive.
I'll grant the bass fishermen and Bubba are not pleasant...but to insist on a pristine, always boat free view, is not realistic.
Like I said about Karlton, if that's what you want, move inland and learn to appreciate a desert view.
__________________
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:30   #50
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,311
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

gee it is sounding like some cruisers/boaters here are saying screw you to all property owners and all that matters to them is that they aren't giving anything up

this is a classic lose-lose thing and in the end everyone will be pissed off; being losers
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:36   #51
Registered User
 
Piglet's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: nothing
Posts: 164
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
gee it is sounding like some cruisers/boaters here are saying screw you to all property owners and all that matters to them is that they aren't giving anything up

this is a classic lose-lose thing and in the end everyone will be pissed off; being losers
not really....no one should infringe upon the property owners rights at all...

However, I believe some homeowners are confused as to what they have a right to.....
__________________
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 12:47   #52
Registered User
 
twoblocktom's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: Santana 25
Posts: 133
We all die alone, but in the mean time.......
__________________
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 13:04   #53
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Let's not let this discussion boil over folks.
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 13:08   #54
Registered User
 
Piglet's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Boat: nothing
Posts: 164
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

...and some of my best friends are bass fishermen.....!!

...just kidding....

__________________
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 13:43   #55
cruiser
 
canucksailor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: beautiful anchorages
Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Posts: 347
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

We have people claiming that since they paid big bucks, they own the view - (and could someone please give me a description of the tangible properties of a view so we can understand how you can own it). Ok, you own the view. You don't own the water beneath that view, and boaters have a right to be in that water. So who's right here?
Well, first of all, no one owns the view, so that premise is shot. You cannot own something that can't be controlled - cats being the exception to that rule! So, that gives the rights to boaters to be there, since theirs is the remaining 'right' in this equation.
Come to think of it, since others share that identical view - neighbours, passersby and so on - you can't really 'own' it except in common - so once again, the nod goes to boaters' rights here since, ipso facto, they are 'owners' by virtue of sharing the view.
However, the point of this thread, if I might remind you, is the ethics investigation into this incident and its conclusions and we might be better off discussing your opinions on that...
__________________
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 13:59   #56
Registered User
 
twoblocktom's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Boat: Santana 25
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway
Let's not let this discussion boil over folks.
I did just that, I'm sorry. I let anger overpower good judgment.
Thanks for deleting my rant !!!
Time to go to the lake I guess.
__________________
twoblocktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 17:17   #57
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
Please give me some credit for common sense. I didn't know at that time anything more than that there was someone in Sunset Lake who objected to anchoring - and the only tales at that time I'd heard of him was that he would tell people his 'wife' objected and would they mind moving. I had no idea where his house was in fact.
Everything since that time has been a revelation - including some of the posters here.

My apologies Canucksailor. I did not check my facts. I thought I remembered you stating awhile ago in the other thread that you were previously aware of Karlton and his location. I stand corrected and again apologize.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 17:49   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,949
Re: Sunset Lake / Miami Beach Police Ethics Investigation Complete

I must be a bit cynical here because in my experience these types of "investigations" tend to come up with a report that shows the authorities have listened and done "something." In reality, actions will tell us whether or not anything has really been done. It is crystal clear that there is no legal reason cruisers can't visit Sunset Lake and anchor there if they wish. Let's hope the local authorities uphold this.
__________________
Kettlewell Cruising
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 18:15   #59
Registered User
 
Islander's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 166
Owning a view ...

... can happen in certain circumstances.

As I understand it the University of Washington owns the air space, some 70 odd miles of it, between their campus and Mount Rainier. Nobody can build in it. It's a spectacular view (when it's not raining!).

I know they own substantial rental property in Seattle, this could be how they acquired the rights? Or maybe a specific law was passed at some stage.

However, I don't know how one would acquire air space rights over public property, or a body of water subject to international laws and agreements (or under what circumstances that could even be considered reasonable).

Cheers.
__________________
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 18:21   #60
Registered User
 
Dkdoyle's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ruskin, Fl
Boat: Seafarer 26
Posts: 287
I reading this and getting angry. You don't own the water or the view. Police have zero right to interrogate you, ask you to leave or even stop by to say hello. Boaters boats are their temporary or permanent home. Would you really expect police to come to your house without cause. I feel badly for the officers being put in a bad situation. If i was living there i would be organizing lighted boat parades with a raft up inback of this jerks house. Heavy metal and lots of beer. Jerk
__________________

__________________
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
miami

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.