Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 20:33   #1
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Sunset Lake Article in Miami Herald

The link for the article on Sunset Lake is Floodlights and tuna fish: Miami Beach homeowners and boaters clash over secluded Biscayne Bay waters - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com
I was very disappointed in the article - there were many facets of this issue that were not brought out. The comments thread is quite interesting, especially when you see how some viewed this article. Unfortunately, the reporter is not a boater.
Interstingly, Karlton says:
Quote:
“Why they want to tee it up, I don’t know,” he said. “I live in a world of being respectful of other people.”

In other words, Karlton is a first rate hypocrite.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:51   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sunset Lake article in Miami Herald

Hey CAnuck,

Typical reporting... what Karlton REALLY said was " I live in a world where peopld are supposed to be respectful of ME!"

Don't sweat it, mate, ya can't beat the press!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-07-2011, 04:41   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

That link brought me to page 2 of the article.

Here's a link to page 1 (I hope):

Floodlights and tuna fish: Miami Beach homeowners and boaters clash over secluded Biscayne Bay waters - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:52   #4
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Cormorant, thank you. The setup on that webpage is a bit odd, but you got it right. Folks, this is the correct url for the entire article, which is two pages:
Floodlights and tuna fish: Miami Beach homeowners and boaters clash over secluded Biscayne Bay waters - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

So, just what aspects of the news article did you find disappointing?
After all, the story was presented as news, not advocacy (editorial), and, as such, should (& IMHO, did) present an accurate and balanced picture of the situation. I didn’t note any factual errors, nor editorial bias.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 05:38   #6

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I thought maybe the "shantytown" comment needed to be balanced out with some quotes from cruisers about how long they stay, or a comment by the reporter about what boats were in the anchorage over the last couple of weeks. . . . lovely yachts, or derelicts?
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:02   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A more complete report on the situation from a boater's perspective is here.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:15   #8

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay

“Why they want to tee it up, I don’t know,” he said. “I live in a world of being respectful of other people.”

I thought the article summed it up nicely - "But he still has his floodlights."
Old 05-07-2011, 06:59   #9
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think it's fair to compare living next to cruising anchorages to living next to slums; and I am sure that most anchorages are not, indeed like slums.

So why encourage such embarrassing behaviour, and give cruisers a bad reputation? I think that threats like this one, taken from the 'more complete report' show cruisers up to be an uncouth, undisciplined lot:

Quote:
As a long time member of the USpower Squadron , Key west aand now North Carolina, I feel its my duty to inform the resident at 2344 N Bay Rorad, Miami Beach, Sunset Lake Area that I will make a point at our next regular meeting to encourage all our members to locate and utilize that location when in the area as a palce to anchor and party. If you are at all familar with the Key west Squadron that can be a very noisy group of sailors.
Billy Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
A more complete report on the situation from a boater's perspective is here.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:22   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It's interesting that it is not only Mr. Karlton that is a upset about the situation. It seems he is not alone in his feelings. Perhaps another view of this situation. According to the article some of his neighbors agree with him and have tried tactics of their own. It has been well known for years among local boaters what happens over at Sunset Lake and Mr.Karlton is only one of several home owners that have taken matters into their own hands. There is right and wrong, what is legal and what is not. Then there is what might really happening in that area. Is Mr. Karlton a nut who feels he is entitled to more than the rest of us or is he like many of his neighbors just fed up with more than just a few cruisers with well appointed sail boats showing up to anchor? The fact is that in this area of south Florida sailing cruisers make up a very, very, small percentage of boaters. There are over 50,000 registered boats in Miami Dade alone. Not counting the 45,000 registered boats in Broward county and the 27,000 registered boats in Monroe county. Sunset Lake is not some secluded area known only by transiting cruisers. It is a well known area where a lot of boaters like to cruise through, sight see, point at all the big houses and anchor for an hour or days. Anyone who has navigated the ICW near this area for any length of time knows well the rudeness, lack of skills, and respect shown on the waterway by far too many boaters. I avoid boating the ICW on weekends like the plague. I've long ago tired of the shouting matches, Rap, the "F" word, way too loud music, drunken antics, pissing off the side of boats in front of others including children, pole dancing, reckless PWCs, and the list goes on. To not realize that this attitude sails by, motors by, and anchors purposefully in many of the more exclusive neighborhoods of Miami is silly. While I've no doubt anyone from this board would never do any of the above this stuff happens every week here. I've read on this board many, many, times how upset cruisers here get when someone anchors too close to their boats, complain about anothers wind generator is too load, complain that others hang laundry on their lifelines, complain they don't have the right amount of insurance, complain about others anchoring abilities, complain about others taste in music and it's volume, etc. Perhaps Mr. Karlton is an elitist and a pain in the back side. Perhaps he's just fed up with so much of the above that he understandably just lumps every boater into the same category and would like some simple sanity and respect in his part of the neighborhood.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:25   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Considering that there is only 460 feet between the fairway seawalls on Lake Avenue and North Bay Road, I cannot imagine that the homeowners on Lake Avenue would be too thrilled by his cross fraiway neighbor's antics to "drive away" anchored yachts. Moreover, Miami Beach has a reasonably stringent noice ordinance:

Quote:
Chapter 46, Article IV of the City Code defines what “noise” would be a violation of city code. The City code specifics that: “It shall be unlawful for any person to make, continue, or cause to be made or continued any unreasonably loud, excessive, unnecessary or unusual noise.”

“Noise” is not limited to music, and can include other noises, such as horns, exhausts, shouting, animals, construction noise, etc.

Additionally, the “using, operating, or permitting to be played, used or operated any radio receiving set, television set, musical instrument, phonograph, or other machine or device for the producing or reproducing of sound in such manner as to disturb the peace, quiet and comfort of the neighboring inhabitants, or at any time with louder volume than is necessary for convenient hearing for the person or persons who are in the room, vehicle or chamber in which such machine or device is operated and who are voluntary listeners thereto” is also a violation of the noise ordinance. Further, the operation of any such set, instrument, phonograph, machine or device between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. in such manner as to be plainly audible at a distance of one hundred (100) feet from the building, structure or vehicle in which it is located shall be “prima facie” evidence of a violation of this section.

You can find all of Chapter 46. Article IV. ‘’Noise’’ in our City Code.
Given the foregoing, if I were to anchor in that area--tho' I would not in such a narrow fairway in any case--and the homeowner began his antics in reprisal, I would phone the sheriff and/or local police to lodge a complaint. I suspect the MBPD knocking on this fellow's door would end the practice reasonably quickly.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:05   #12

As a follow-up to my previous comment, as an alternative to Sunset Lake, there are a pair of lovely anchorages, deep water and well sheltered, just west of Baker's Haulover only about 6 miles north on the ICW, in Oleta Cove and at University Cove. (At about Latitude: 25°54.479'N Longitude: 080°08.207'W) These might be a somewhat better, or more hassel-free, stopping place. For further information see ActiveCaptain.com.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-07-2011, 08:17   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
As a follow-up to my previous comment, as an alternative to Sunset Lake, there are a pair of lovely anchorages, deep water and well sheltered, just west of Baker's Haulover only about 6 miles north on the ICW, in Oleta Cove and at University Cove. (At about Latitude: 25°54.479'N Longitude: 080°08.207'W) These might be a somewhat better, or more hassel-free, stopping place. For further information see ActiveCaptain.com.

FWIW...
Won't you have to get under the Julia Tuttle to get there from Miami?
Old 05-07-2011, 08:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
The link for the article on Sunset Lake is Floodlights and tuna fish: Miami Beach homeowners and boaters clash over secluded Biscayne Bay waters - Miami Beach - MiamiHerald.com
I was very disappointed in the article - there were many facets of this issue that were not brought out. The comments thread is quite interesting, especially when you see how some viewed this article. Unfortunately, the reporter is not a boater.
Interstingly, Karlton says:
In other words, Karlton is a first rate hypocrite.
[/COLOR][/LEFT]
So what happened at the big July 4th anchor in?
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Won't you have to get under the Julia Tuttle to get there from Miami?
Yes Rick--You are correct. Frankly I forgot about the 55' clearance issue as we only used those anchorages in our previous, smaller, boat where we only needed 49 feet of clearance.

Tags
miami