Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 19:52   #1

Boat: Tartan T4400
Strictly Sail Miami

Looks like I will be in Florida at the same time as the boat show. I will be in Orlando is it worth the drive to Miami? Don't need a new boat but would like to look at new equipment. Also need to replace some hardware on the boat.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:14   #2

It is only about 230 miles from Orlando to Miami, but it seems longer. If you have a high tolerance for four hours of boring road, then do it. There is no sailing in Orlando to speak of, and February in Miami is a whole different world from Feblando.

I live in Orlando, and Orlando has a lot going for it, but not boat shows. If you like fishing, or sailing small boats on freshwater, then there is fun to be found within 50 miles, but if you have the need to window-shop on the deck of a brand new blue water cruiser, then you are in for a road trip.
LowBudgetDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:27   #3

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36' "Stargazer"
If it compares to the last St. Pete show, I would have to say it wasn't worth it. (from Palm Beaches to St. Pete). The show had so few exhibitors they reduced the size by at least a third of what it used to be. They were reduced to having vendors that had nothing at all to do with boating, ie storm windows and power bands.
All the best !
Clif
clifford sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:56   #4

Miami is a pretty weak sailboat show these days but not a bad equipment show - especially for equipment that is also used on powerboats. Electronics, deck hardware, dinghys, cleaners and my favorite - lighted drink holders that glow blue.

It's also very fun to go over to the Miami Boat Brokerage show that runs at the same time and now seems like the much bigger show. A lot of fancy powerboats. One Italian boat last year had a hydraulic balcony that flipped down out of the side of the hull where you were supposed to sip wine or something. I've attached a picture. I'm not sure it works on a sailboat

Only you can decide if that's worth a four hour drive but I'd prefer it over It's a Small World at Disney.

Carl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	22789  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 10:57   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
The Miami show made a huge mistake last year and moved the sail show to a different venue. Many vendors backed out and the rest of us told show management that if it were held there again that we would not be coming back either. I guess they listened because the show is back at Bayside and most of the vendors are back. Miami in my opinion has always been better than the St. Pete show but if you plan to be in Orlando for a longer stay that show is not bad either with many of the same vendors there and is mch closer.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:51   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Terrible sail boat show but great show for equipment as many manufacturers display their new models of equipment at this show.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, sail