Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2014, 09:26   #1
Registered User
 
Sanman60's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Birmingham
Boat: Catalina 30 MkII
Posts: 7
Strange Marker in the Med

Recently while delivering a Wauquiez Centurion from Corfu Greece to Lymington England, I was on the late watch out of Mallorca Spain headed for Gibraltar and after dodging a couple of Fish Farm pens, I saw a wierd marker.
I don't have any pictures, but it was basically a pole about 2 meters high, with three rapid flashing red strobes, topped by two rapid flashing Green strobes.

Being somewhat confused, I called the owner/capt on deck (holds a RYM and has a lot more experience in these waters) and we observed it for a few minutes, presuming it to be a ship at a distance...after about 10 minutes we realized it was a marker buoy of some sort, and passed it within about 10 yards!

Has anybody ever seen one of these? It was a very strange marker, and both of us were mystified about who would do this (Although fishermen around southern Spain are everywhere, this was the only one like it that we saw.)

So your guess is as good as mine, but was just curious as to any good theories about this mark with COMPLETELY non standard lights, in the middle of essentially nowhere...
__________________

__________________
Wherever you go...There you are
Sanman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 09:43   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

I have seen somewhat of the same in the northwest of the US.. flashing lights on a pole..
Was told they were on "long lines" for either crab pots or fishing marking one end or the other of the line.. the lines could be miles long..
__________________

__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:23   #3
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,828
Images: 25
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Yes! That marker means "If you were ten yards closer you would have hit me!"
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 10:43   #4
Registered User
 
Sanman60's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Birmingham
Boat: Catalina 30 MkII
Posts: 7
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yes! That marker means "If you were ten yards closer you would have hit me!"

HA! Yeah I actually altered course when we realized it was just a marker, would have been further abeam if we had realized it earlier...

It's amazing how you can be lined up on something that small in that large of a body of water.

We actually heard on the VHF, the night before, a sailboat, (S/V Luna) calling a fisherman because he had hit a line and was tangled up in his gear... all at about 0200 ... Big suck, no doubt.
__________________
Wherever you go...There you are
Sanman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 11:52   #5
Registered User
 
Weathermelon's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vigo
Posts: 7
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Yeah, thats for fishing, wacht out! hahaha
__________________
Weathermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 22:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanman60 View Post
Recently while delivering a Wauquiez Centurion from Corfu Greece to Lymington England, I was on the late watch out of Mallorca Spain headed for Gibraltar and after dodging a couple of Fish Farm pens, I saw a wierd marker.
I don't have any pictures, but it was basically a pole about 2 meters high, with three rapid flashing red strobes, topped by two rapid flashing Green strobes.

Being somewhat confused, I called the owner/capt on deck (holds a RYM and has a lot more experience in these waters) and we observed it for a few minutes, presuming it to be a ship at a distance...after about 10 minutes we realized it was a marker buoy of some sort, and passed it within about 10 yards!

Has anybody ever seen one of these? It was a very strange marker, and both of us were mystified about who would do this (Although fishermen around southern Spain are everywhere, this was the only one like it that we saw.)

So your guess is as good as mine, but was just curious as to any good theories about this mark with COMPLETELY non standard lights, in the middle of essentially nowhere...
Was it fixed or floating? Stacked red and green can be used at channel intersections to indicate the preferred channel. Was it painted?

G-R-G = Preferred channel to starboard
R-G-R = Preferred channel to port

Not sure what a blink sequence would look like...
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 11:12   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,048
Images: 1
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Was it fixed or floating? Stacked red and green can be used at channel intersections to indicate the preferred channel. Was it painted?

G-R-G = Preferred channel to starboard
R-G-R = Preferred channel to port

Not sure what a blink sequence would look like...
2+1 red or green is the light sequence for bifurcation buoys.




The lights he describes are not IALA System A bifurcation buoys.

I would go with fishing net buoys.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 13:44   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
Randyonr3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2007
Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Posts: 1,836
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

just saw on the news this morning that a whale watching boat caught a line in the north east and was disabled.. had to be towed in by the costies
__________________
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 17:43   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,056
Re: Strange Marker in the Med

Whenver I see "WTF?" lights, I follow the advice of Monty Python.

RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!

You just never know what's out there.
__________________

__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing MOB Marker avb3 OpenCPN 4 07-02-2011 10:12
Boat Lost After Hitting Submerged ICW Marker Post Steve W Navigation 16 12-11-2010 17:35
Anchor Marker hummingway Seamanship & Boat Handling 15 30-05-2010 03:29
Best ICW Chartbook Beyond Mile Marker 1095? endoftheroad Navigation 1 06-01-2010 12:02



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.