Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2019, 10:39   #16

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Stopping in CUBA to refuel....

So much for freedom and the land of the free.

Your biggest problem might be, like someone mentioned, a USCG patrol. If your vessel is US flagged, they can board you in international waters. They CANT be in Cuban waters, so you can rest easy once you've gotten to the other side of the Gulfstream. I guess you only need to have a valid plan; they will ask you all sorts of questions at some point regarding your destination et al, and might even board you and check paperwork. Here is were the next paragraph proves important.

When you depart the US ask for a zarpe (that damn Customs form I cant remember the name) and place all your Mexican destination information. The Customs office will be able to give you a stamped form to use as zarpe. Mexico REQUIRES a zarpe from your previous port. So if you get boarded by the USCG approaching Cuba, you can show them your final destination is Mexico by proof of your requested zarpe in your last por of call in the US where you checked out. Even if they stop you AFTER you did your fuel run, you can easily show your still with you zarpe from the US.

Last time I was there (Cuba) I sailed over from Marathon and brought into the country some new stuff on the boat: a couple of big computer monitors, computer case, my brand new dgital cinema camera, etc. Everything was in boxes. They couldn't care less. They were concerned about handheld GPSs, satphones and DRONES!!! If anything they will make an inventory to be checked at your port of departure.

Im still a bit unclear of how much fuel you save by refueling after just 110 nm. I guess you would need to stop in Cabo San Antonio (Marina Gaviota) on your way out of Cuba too? Again, staying on Cuban Waters guarantees no interference from USCG. Remember to turn your AIS off tho. Haha.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 22:16   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

IMHO don’t go to Cuba don’t go to jail don’t lose the boat. Find another way.
Old 19-12-2019, 16:33   #18

Boat: Contest 36'

It is not against the law for US Citizens to go to Cuba.
Old 19-12-2019, 17:02   #19

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

Windlove is correct; while I've seen postings stating that since June 2019 "You can't sail to Cuba on a private yacht", it seems that the writer came to that conclusion since the "People to People" category was removed. I went under the "Support the Cuban People" and used ViaHero to provide an itinerary that met US requirements. Thanks, Windlove - I may start looking into making a return trip!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 17:33   #20

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Entering Hemingway is through a somewhat narrow channel (100 yards wide) that is not always marked as well as some places in the US. With a North wind it can be a tall order; in fact many places are no fun with a North wind. As a rule Hemingway is well run and you should have no problem with an English speaker on the VHF; you do need to follow their instructions. There are fuel shortages and several marinas are simply out. Not sure about the risk/reward from a very early fuel fill up. You will have to deal with customs at some level; but the Cubans are generally easy to deal with and don't always insist on checking in especially if it looks like a 'safe harbor' situation.

Problem is there is little reason not to get some temp fuel storage capability, even 5 gallon jerry cans, and go straight to Mexico saving time and not risking something going wrong. You will have to pay with CUCs and take a hit exchanging dollars for them. While there seems to be some movement by the Cuban government to get rid of the crazy three tier currency system that is rife with abuse you will still be faced with dealing with it.

Seems like there are better solutions than what you posted.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 17:44   #21

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I stopped in Hemmingway last week for fuel only. Stopped at the customs building first and told the agent I only needed fuel. He directed me to the fuel dock with a reminder that I could not get off the boat.

I paid with US dollars ($.90-$1.00 Exchange) and was on my way. Zero paperwork or concern.

2nd time in 6 months.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post

Correct. Never has been against the law to go there, just a violation of the economic sanctions unless one is able to jump through the appropriate bureaucratic hoops.

Unfortunately after an easing of restrictions under Obama the current administration is making it more difficult but seems like it is still possible.

However boaters should take care as there have very occasionally been repercussions which involved fines for those that didn't comply.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 06:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
No, it is not against the law. If you go without prior approval, and/or without all the proper paperwork, however, then you ARE subject to fines and imprisonment. So, it is pretty much a difference without a distinction.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
It is. At least, without prior permission from the government.

I really wish that Congress would get off their butts and change the law in this regard. Otherwise we are going to keep getting whip-sawed by changes in the regulations and enforcement every time we get a new president.
Me too!

Unfortunately, I don't have high expectations for our current Congress, regardless of party, accomplishing much.

We need some fresh blood in DC.
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfessor View Post
Windlove is correct; while I've seen postings stating that since June 2019 "You can't sail to Cuba on a private yacht", it seems that the writer came to that conclusion since the "People to People" category was removed. I went under the "Support the Cuban People" and used ViaHero to provide an itinerary that met US requirements. Thanks, Windlove - I may start looking into making a return trip!
Thank you for sharing that.

I have been looking forward to a Cuba trip and was extremely disappointed when I heard you that restrictions where back.

Looks like I may still get there
mohave_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 12:46   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
No, it is not against the law. If you go without prior approval, and/or without all the proper paperwork, however, then you ARE subject to fines and imprisonment. So, it is pretty much a difference without a distinction.
According to my understanding no prior approval is required....."All U.S. citizens may travel to Cuba at any time, pre-approved, under the ‘Support for the Cuban People’ (SFCP) license."

https://hometohavana.com/blog/suppor...e-cuban-people
GFelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 13:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFelix View Post
According to my understanding no prior approval is required....."All U.S. citizens may travel to Cuba at any time, pre-approved, under the ‘Support for the Cuban People’ (SFCP) license."

https://hometohavana.com/blog/suppor...e-cuban-people
Dubiously.

The Support for the Cuban People license covers travel activities intended to strengthen civil society in Cuba. This license requires the traveler to engage in a full-time schedule of activities in Cuba that:

Foster closer connections with the Cuban people,
Contribute to the development of Cuban civil society, or
Advocate for the independence of the Cuban people from the government; and
Involve meaningful engagement and interaction with individuals in Cuba.
Also, the traveler’s itinerary should not allow for excessive free time or recreational activities beyond what is compatible with the full-time schedule.

You must have a full-time schedule.

What is a Full-Time Schedule According to OFAC?
OFAC won’t say how many hours constitute a full-time schedule. Their definition of a full-time schedule is, in fact, pretty vague. They will only say that:

The traveler’s schedule of activities should not include free time or recreation in excess of that consistent with a full-time schedule.

In practical terms, the traveler should have a pre-planned itinerary with sufficient activities to occupy a significant portion of their time in Cuba. The activities should align with the purpose of the license, which is to support the Cuban people, promote independence, and enhance contact with local individuals.

This requirement intends to ensure that the traveler’s visit to Cuba is purposeful and focused on meaningful interactions and support for the Cuban people rather than primarily for tourism or leisure. While some leisure time or recreational activities may be allowed within the schedule, they should not exceed what is considered reasonable and consistent with a full-time schedule of engaging activities.

Activities That Can Disqualify Your Trip for the Support for the Cuban People License
There are three things you must avoid when traveling to Cuba under the Support for the Cuban People license:

Engaging primarily in leisure activities (e.g., staying at a beach resort for a week).
Staying at an accommodation on the Cuba Prohibited Accommodations List. The CPA lists properties in Cuba owned or controlled by the Cuban government or the Cuban Communist Party.

Purchasing goods or services from the entities associated with the Cuban military, intelligence, or security services. The list includes specific ministries, holding companies, hotels, tourist agencies, marinas, stores, and other entities.

Check the lists of prohibited accommodations and entities before booking your trip because they are subject to change.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 13:36   #28

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherlour View Post
...Tankers are now not able to dock in Cuba without penalties from the US government...
The USA really is hanging tightly onto that grudge about Cuba not choosing to be another Puerto Rico.
Old 19-02-2024, 15:13   #29

My understanding of the US travel restrictions for US citizens/residents is that they cannot spend US dollars in Cuba. So just get some Euros or Canadian dollars at your local bank and one should be OK. Just make sure not to bring back any receipts showing any credit card payments as these are considered a "dollar based transactions".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, fuel