Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2013, 11:17   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Stolen Yacht goes Aground

West Hawaii Today, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii

Another sad story.

I noticed this in this morning's newspaper. Got the designer of the yacht's last name confused but that's just trivia.
Old 17-10-2013, 12:28   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Stolen Yacht goes Aground

What a shame! My sympathy to the owners. Putting the perp in the slammer does them little good, but perhaps it will keep him from stealing and trashing someone else's boat.

I sure hope that it was insured, even though compensation will not replace a unique vessel.

So sorry,

Jim
Old 17-10-2013, 12:55   #3

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Terrible.
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 14:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I feel terrible for the owners. But the boat was a Vagabond 47 worth 150-200,000. They are getting a check for almost 500,000. I don't feel that bad for them.

The worst part is it seems the thief has been suffering a psychological breakdown, and despite his family trying to get him help, he went off the deep end before they could do anything.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:05   #5

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

could be a staged insurance claim....500k is a good change...
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 15:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I don't think it was insured for $500,000. Owner was talking about a figure a couple of big ones below that amount. He claims to have put several hundred thousand dollars into the boat on a refit recently and well over half a $mill. in the years he's owned it. Boat was in very good condition. For some reason, the owner waited to get hold of his insurance company on a Sunday Morning before making an attempt to pull the boat off. Didn't start the salvage till boat had been on the rocks for 12 hours. By that time it was high and dry at low tide. Have only a couple of feet of tidal range here so wasn't going to float off at high tide no matter how big the tow boat. Would have to wait for significant surf and that would probably destroy the boat by the time it came off. Boat is sitting on a boulder strewn lava shelf. Any movement by surf is just going to grind it up.

The thief supposedly never started the engine. Somehow got out of the slip and harbor though it's doubtful he did it under sail as he supposedly knew nothing about sailing. A fisherman helped him, as he was banging into boats in the harbor, in his attempt to get out. Once he got into the harbor fairway, the night land breeze may have carried him out to sea and a current down the coast till it grounded. Believe that the fisherman called the police but doubt that they had access to a boat to catch him at sea. They were waiting for him when the boat hit the beach and arrested him

The idiot that stole the boat left his van parked in front of the boat's slip. Something tells me he might have been indulging in some reality distorting medicinal substances.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 18:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I feel terrible for the owners. But the boat was a Vagabond 47 worth 150-200,000. They are getting a check for almost 500,000. I don't feel that bad for them.

I don't believe for a second that the insurance company will pay more than market value.

The worst part is it seems the thief has been suffering a psychological breakdown, and despite his family trying to get him help, he went off the deep end before they could do anything.
No, the worst part is the actions he took to destroy someone's dream and source of livelihood.
Old 17-10-2013, 19:06   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
No, the worst part is the actions he took to destroy someone's dream and source of livelihood.
NO NO, the worst part is that the family had been trying to get him help for a mental health problem and the health system didn't respond. Can you imagine his pain?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 20:49   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
NO NO, the worst part is that the family had been trying to get him help for a mental health problem and the health system didn't respond. Can you imagine his pain?
One more victory for the ACLU.
Old 17-10-2013, 20:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

LOL
No, just a kind heart.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 21:17   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Where did the information come from that he had mental issues other than his actions.

A number of factors came together to doom the boat. It was run aground at the height of a particularly high tide. It's been driven a long way onto a lava shelf and is resting with a large boulder through the hull. Might have to break up the rock before it could be moved. Then it would have to be dragged over the lava to get to deep water. That would probably be the end of the boat. Cutting the boat up may be the only option.
Old 20-10-2013, 13:48   #12
Moderator Emeritus

They somehow got the boat off the rocks. Sailed by yesterday without a camera and the boat was floating with flotatation bags around it but with the hull totally submerged and just the masts sticking out of the water. They later towed it offshore and sunk it. Didn't get very close to the boat but it looked like the roller furling and headsail were still on the boat as was all the standing rigging masts, etc. Wondering why they didn't unstep the masts and what else was still on board?? Appears they sent a lot of money to the bottom in gear that could have removed and sold. A sad end to a stupid act of idiocy.
Old 20-10-2013, 18:21   #13

Sad waste. I've heard no followup and definitely haven't heard about a mental health or family issue.

Lots of excuses for abominable actions but none of the excuses help the owners or the boat.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:44   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I think $500,000 would be a stretch for it's value. I believe these are Vagabond Corsaire 47's. They generally go between $110,000-$250,000. Altough I would want my boat over valued knowing how Insurance companies can be.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht