Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 06:51   #1

Southampton Boat Show (UK)

The Southampton Boat Show is on from 10th Sept to 19th Sept 2010 and I was wondering if anyone will be there. Pete7 and I had hoped to link up on Tuesday 14th but, alas, events have intervened.

I will still be there on the Tuesday and if any other CF folk will be there and want to meet up then drop me a PM.

The website is

PSP Southampton Boat Show - Home
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Yes sadly, I can't make it, we are down sizing the house and hope to have some offers this weekend. The good news is we are moving to within 500 yards of the boat . A future cruising life style is getting closer

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:42   #3

I will be there on Sunday (12th September) after winning 2 VIP tickets for the show

Hope to see some people from here at the show
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 13:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I will be there on Sunday (12th September) after winning 2 VIP tickets for the show

Hope to see some people from here at the show
Alas we'll miss each other. I'm going on the Tuesday
Old 10-09-2010, 13:59   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I'll be there briefly on Thursday next week, if I get my boat preparation done (Channel crossing on Friday).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 14:39   #6
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
We are going on Monday, got a list of kit to look at in preparation for some cruising next year
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 14:13   #7

Quote:
How did you do that? Did you enter some competition?
Old 11-09-2010, 14:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
How did you do that? Did you enter some competition?
Sailtime offered tickets to the first 10 people who emailed them, although in my email, I only seem to see 9 names!!! lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 13-09-2010, 12:33   #9

Quote:
Sailtime offered tickets to the first 10 people who emailed them, although in my email, I only seem to see 9 names!!! lol
Nice one. I'm going down tomorrow with wifey in tow. Ooo-errr.....
Old 13-09-2010, 15:46   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Nice one. I'm going down tomorrow with wifey in tow. Ooo-errr.....
Get there early, the "try me" boats booked out in no time

And look for Andy who is trying to sell Dufour 325 in the marina. Really nice bloke. I told him in no uncertain terms that I wasnt buying that day and he still found time to talk to me and my partner about sailing in general. I explained my partner had never sailed before and he helped me with the mission of getting her on board with my plan!!!

When I am in a position, I will definitely think about dealing with Andy (he sells other boats as well I believe)
Old 15-09-2010, 03:05   #11

Quote:
Get there early, the "try me" boats booked out in no time
The "try me" was cancelled due to the gales....

Quote:
And look for Andy who is trying to sell Dufour 325 in the marina. Really nice bloke.
I spoke with him, but so did the missus and she did not like the Durfours. Compared to the other boats she had looked at she said that the Durfours seemed very unfinished and poorly thought out. She pointed out that other boats like Beneteaus had the floor opening sealed with clasps but on the Durfours you need a screwdriver. If you want under the floor in a hurry it five seconds in a Beneteau and five to ten minutes in a Durfour.

She did not like the Southerleys (all lifting keels with a "tombstone" in the middle of the cabin) and they all had terribly uneven floors. The upholstery was like sandpaper. One for the "hair shirt" brigade IMO.

People on here bang on about Island Packets but for us it was the worst boat in the show. Very disappointing. We felt it had an incredibly poor layout, bad use of space, etc. The Hanses, Halberg-Rassys and some other swedish boats were ok but did not feel as comfortable as the french boats.

She loved the Catalina 375, the Hunter Legends, the Jenneaus, the Beneteau Oceanis (but not the Beneteau Firsts) and the Moody 41. I found the Beneteaus quite impressive and the Oceanis 34 felt roomier than the Jenneau 36. The Oceanis 37 was a great boat.

All in all we had a great time. Very informative and the sales people were very helpful, especially on the Jenneau, Moody and Legend stands. The guy on the Legend 31 (too small for us) was really nice and we had a good long chat with him.

In short all the boats we liked were similar in a lot of ways, but SWMBO liked clear unobstructed flooring in the saloon, in the cockpit and on the deck. She rejected boats with travellers on the cockpit floor and preferred them in front of the companionway hatch or the Legends with their arch. Ideally showers should be separate from the loo seat and the "owners stateroom" layout aft.

So, having been down there she and I are happy to continue with the next stage of the project - and better informed as well.

I only snapped a few pictures, but they are in this album Cruisers & Sailing Forums - mintyspilot's Album: Southampton boat show 2010
Old 15-09-2010, 04:10   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I flew out to the show for Sat/Sun and regretted wearing lace-up hiking shoes instead of boat shoes... I don't know how many times I had to unlace and remove the shoes in order to go aboard and look at the boats.

I spent a lot of time going through every nook and cranny in the Jeanneau 57, Beneteau 58 and (for grins) the Bordeaux 60. I ended up on the Hallberg-Rassy with one of the executives discussing gensets and energy usage curves for typical owners vs. cruisers and loved HR they had in the water. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the Grand Soleil boats belowdeck, the clean lines abovedeck didn't travel inside. The Dutch Contest 50 was very nice and had the best engine room and electric panel of any boat I've seen.

Jeanneau had some good people working the stands and I also met with a factory rep (we discussed mounting points for my Jordan Series Drogue, he had drawings of the attachment points and loading factors from P. Briand himself along).

I wish I had a suitcase, it seems that every clothing outfitter had Musto, Gill and other brands on sale at half price...

What did strike me was that there was not a single sailing Catamaran on display.

Have fun!
Old 15-09-2010, 04:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I flew out to the show for Sat/Sun and regretted wearing lace-up hiking shoes instead of boat shoes... I don't know how many times I had to unlace and remove the shoes in order to go aboard and look at the boats.
Next time, I'm taking flip/flops (aka shower shoes). I compromised by walking around in my socks on the pontoons where they were dry.

Quote:
I spent a lot of time going through every nook and cranny in the Jeanneau 57, Beneteau 58 and (for grins) the Bordeaux 60.
We skipped those. We have decided a 36-39 ft boat is ideal size for us. I saw the Contest and it looked a beast, but I did not go on it.

Quote:
Jeanneau had some good people working the stands and I also met with a factory rep
We had not considered the Jeanneaus. They are now on the list. The rep. was excellent and took us from boat to boat, unhurried and answered all our questions, even the dumb ones.

Quote:
I wish I had a suitcase, it seems that every clothing outfitter had Musto, Gill and other brands on sale at half price...
Indeed. There was Henri Lloyd stuff that I have seen on US sites for $600 going for £150 ($220). Yikes!!

Quote:
What did strike me was that there was not a single sailing Catamaran on display.
So it wasn't just us! We couldn't find cats anywhere, not one. I thought we were just missing out somewhere.
Old 15-09-2010, 09:57   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Mintyspilot: I forgot to mention that I met Tom Cunliffe - author of 'several' sailing books He was an interesting character indeed.
The Contest had clear decks and a huge freeboard making it seem larger than it really was. It was a lot nicer inside than I would have expected.
The J57 is on my wish list, I'm hoping that by the time I find a purchaser for my current boat I'll find a previously owned but never used one on the market at a discount.
My backpack was full of heavy literature on the way back, almost too much for carry-on. But I do want a sailing jacket and wonder if you recall the name of one of the Musto discounters at the show - perhaps I can e-mail them before the show ends and still get their show pricing. The best selection was at the store at the base of the overpass stairs in the furthest corner of the show, but I can't recall their name.
Old 15-09-2010, 10:05   #15

Quote:
Mintyspilot: I forgot to mention that I met Tom Cunliffe - author of 'several' sailing books He was an interesting character indeed.
I would like to have met him. I've seen him on telly demonstrating a scottish lugger and a cornish wooden hull.

Quote:
The Contest had clear decks and a huge freeboard making it seem larger than it really was. It was a lot nicer inside than I would have expected.
It looked large enough as it was.

Quote:
The J57 is on my wish list, I'm hoping that by the time I find a purchaser for my current boat I'll find a previously owned but never used one on the market at a discount.
Too big for us. So's your current 49D.

Quote:
My backpack was full of heavy literature on the way back, almost too much for carry-on. But I do want a sailing jacket and wonder if you recall the name of one of the Musto discounters at the show - perhaps I can e-mail them before the show ends and still get their show pricing. The best selection was at the store at the base of the overpass stairs in the furthest corner of the show, but I can't recall their name.
I know the ones you mean, but I did not pay attention to the names, but there is an exhibitor list on the website

Exhibitor List

Hope that helps. I'm still going through my massive collection of catalogues tonight.

Tags
boat show, southampton