Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 15:27   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
1) ... So what else could'nt he afford?...

2) ... every cretin who sails from Seychelles toward Somalia or leaves Nova Scottia in the middle of winter?...

3) ...Words fail me.
1) I think that's OK to sail without an EPIRB.

2) Are you generalizing or are you specific?

3) Not the strong ones though.

Hugs,
barnie
Old 23-11-2009, 16:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
They appear to have called off the aerial search.

Connemara
Here is a link to a brief news item from CBC.

CBC News - Nova Scotia - Search for missing N.S. sailor scaled back

A couple of years ago the guy I bought my boat from was caught out on the same trip. He was helping another couple move a 39' Ericsson IIRC. They were picked up by a Ukrainian freighter. During that same storm a couple of other boats were lost.

They had delayed leaving NS because of insurance reasons. Apparently insurance would not let them leave before a certain date in early December.

A couple of lifetimes ago I was a crewman on USCG C-130 SAR planes. Even in the best of times there is little chance of finding someone without electronic assistance. It can happen, but it is not likely.
Old 23-11-2009, 17:26   #18

Boat: 1976 Alberg 37 Yawl hull 172
Mark makes a valid point (besides, Australians are known for being...direct, if you will).
However, I don't feel it's entirely warranted in this case. The man in question spent 18 years (& two boats) on a solo circumnavigation, so I'm sure he posseses the requisite experience level. I'm sure he is/was also familiar with routing & weather windows. He may have been overconfident in his ability to deal with bad weather, especially cosidering what crossing the Gulf Stream can be like in the wrong weather.
It's just as likely, of course, that he was lacking what Dr. Earle Reynolds referred to as "the Fifth Essential"- luck.

Hubert Marcoux: The global sailing author
Old 23-11-2009, 23:45   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
At the end of the day none of us have ANY IDEA what happened to him or his boat.
Could be anything from Blue Ice (anyone remember that movie) to getting run over.
Its a sad story and I hope that he turns up safe and sound some where.
Old 24-11-2009, 03:33   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Don't wish to hi-jack this thread, but as Mark referred to the info on the Pilot Charts, I thought I would pose my question as to their accuracy. Multiple sources on the net (I could not find an Official source) refer to these being constructed from information gathered during the 18th and 19th centuries.
We can all arrive at our own conclusion how this jibes with climate change ...
The general period summarized (by the Pilot Charts) is 1850 to 1970, but the actual period summarized varies by ocean basin.

Pilot Chart Summary Data (NCDC TD-9757)

Old 24-11-2009, 04:11   #21

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Thanks Gord, Interesting stuff
Old 24-11-2009, 13:26   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Hey Mark? according to my information, mid winter in the Northern hemisphere is early February, not early November. Thats late summer.

Just thought I'd point that out to you.

Sabre
Old 24-11-2009, 16:10   #23

2 EPIRB OR NOT 2 EPIRB

I would think if you have a 14 meter boat if you wanted an EPIRB you could afford one. Perhaps the gentleman was the type who would not want to put anyone at risk on his behalf. I hope his sister didn't read Marks post.Another boat got rolled and crew rescued at close to same time. It is not unusual for boats to make this passage at this time of year as they are waiting for the end of hurricane season. I wish him luck on whatever journey he is presently on.
Old 24-11-2009, 16:38   #24

Boat: Irwin 40
I have to say I think it is really foolish to go to sea without an EPIRB. If you cannot afford to buy one they can be rented from BoatUS for $40 a week. Really cheap insurance if you ask me and a lot less than what a search and rescue operation costs. As much as I admire the old school sailors that are tougher than a barnacle I think it is just common sense to use the safety equipment that is available.

Just my 2 cents

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
Old 24-11-2009, 16:52   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Maybe a bit of thread drift but the EPIRB / NOT EPIRB question depends IMO on the whether there are crew on board or not.

On a crewed boat, the skipper has a duty of care to the crew and an EPRIB is part of that duty of care.

Single hander on the other hand is free to make a choice as part of his own risk management plan unless of course the EPRIB is mandated by local law (as it is in my neck of the woods).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 24-11-2009, 17:03   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post

... I have to say I think it is really foolish to go to sea without an EPIRB...
And I have to say it is foolish to go in a boat that is not seaworthy and to go unprepared. The rest is the issue of attitudes and choices.

To me, it is OK to go without an EPIRB, liferaft, SSB, insurance, red flares and half a dozen of gadgets, half of which are part of cruisers' political correctness and which add nothing to ship's and crew's safety. Even worse, I am ready to bet 100 USD that I can cross an ocean without a life-jacket and another 100 that it can be done without a fog horn.

I understand many may disagree but here I stand (and willing to change my views just please present strong arguments).

My two euro-cents.

b.
Old 24-11-2009, 19:25   #27

Boat: Tayana 37
EPIRB's are like any other item of equipment that can provide a false sense of security, and perhaps induce some people to take risks that they wouldn't otherwise - because they have one.

That said, they are fine, if you're clear on their purpose and limitations, and how having one on board affects your decision making.

Foolish to go to sea without them? Maybe. Depends on where you're going and a host of other personal factors IMHO.
Old 24-11-2009, 19:36   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
I find it curious that no one has noted that the voyage was illegal. While I wish this unfortunate sailor no ill will. I find it the height of stupidty to embark on such a single handed voyage where it is impossible to keep the legally required watch.
Old 24-11-2009, 19:54   #29

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Here in Australia, it is mandatory to have a 406 EPIRB on board if sailing more than 2 nm offshore. EPIRB also has to be registered with SAR authorities.
Old 24-11-2009, 20:26   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I start to get a little cranky with the to do about the "legally required watch" thing.

If you wish to live your life by those rules - so be it. No complaints.

Kindly do NOT try to enforce your rules on me. This is at worst a victimless crime, especially of the fellow does not have an EPIRB. You may, in your opinion, consider sailing solo without and EPIRB and solo as suicidal. It may be so. But if that is his (or my) decision, and it harms you not, then please don't try to enforce your point of view on others.

A nice thing about sailing is the relief from all the idiotic rules and regulations of landlocked society. The last thing I want to do is to pollute our sanity with the bureaucratic mind set.
Closed Thread