Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-01-2011, 21:20   #46

In 1982 there was a cyclone warning and several boats followed the local and headed for a creek south of Shute Harbor. Took about an hour to get there or less. I don't know the name but we went in a mangrove inlet on the high tide and then there was a side lagoon on the left that dries. We all tied up to heaps of mangroves in preparation but we were all in boats that can handle the muddy bottom. We were lucky and the cyclone went in another direction but it was very sheltered. I think there are other creeks on the mainland north of Cannonvale, but you would need to ask locals.
Good luck, some of those inlets on Whitsunday have a bad record in cyclones.

Old 31-01-2011, 21:24   #47

lol oz the benefits too hamilton do sound kinda appealing. Though forecast is still holding at least. Wind is up to 20 knots here and i'm about an hour or two away from hamilton.

Hmm not reassuring beau but thanks for the info. Currently thinking i'm set on hamilton for aforementioned reasons, figure if it's lite winds then i'm sorted and can restock happilly, if it' s super heavy duty out there then heh. Life+cats>boat. if it's middle ground is pretty much the only downside, ie high storm surge winds but not something i couldn't have done in a cyclone hole. Ah well, only one way too be sure anyways ^^.

Old 31-01-2011, 21:59   #48

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
they are evacuating cairns Base hospital now

By tracking map it has moved north and it is firming up to hit Cairns although will be a lot of damage a fair way south in the dangerous quadrant. Starting to relax a bit more in mackay although we will still get strong winds, rain, and flooding.

If only they were so predictable. the weather bureau's tracking models have been very accurate the last couple of years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yasi advise6.gif
Views:	84
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	23375  
Old 31-01-2011, 22:06   #49

i don't want to make lite of this severe cyclone.
However in Townsville many years ago, I had a 20ft day sailing catamaran, I took it up a creek and filled it full of water so it sunk to the bottom, with a float so I could find it afterwards. No damage what so ever .
I have lost two houses to cyclones over the years, even now just the sound of a cyclone terrifies me.
Old 31-01-2011, 23:41   #50

Boat: Adams 24 - Budgie Smuggler
sounds like you`re doing everything humanly possible troymclure, my best wishes & thoughts are with you, whatever you decide to do.....i`ve lived in the whitsunday area and it`s NO fun in a big blow. options are limited but include... upper gulnare inlet (needs high tide to enter) s20`17`32.8 e148`57`21.1 & nara inlet s20`07`56.4 e148`54`46.9 & i`ve been told (unconfirmed) that laguna quays marina s20`36`11.7 e148`40`50.8......best wishes to you. take no notice whatsoever of the complacency of local cannonvale & airlie beach boat owners that leave their boats at anchor or on moorings in very open spots.... they must be after insurance payouts as every single year, a big blow will push 6 or more of these boats ashore onto the rocks. they obviously dont care about their boats and look forward to insurance companies financing their next status symbol. i really begrudge these payouts as it only increases premiums that stop some of us `not so well off` to be able to afford insurance at all...... hope hamilton works out fine for you.
Old 01-02-2011, 00:41   #51

Yeah i gotta admit after sitting through cyclone anthony on sunday night i'm now a little bit more concerned about cyclones. So fairly happy with hamilton at the moment looks from current forecast map that it should be right down here. Though... for people further north. And knowing my luck it's going to turn southwest pretty shortly. Still i'm here now just have too wait and see, hopefully it works out.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44   #52

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
i don't want to make lite of this severe cyclone.
However in Townsville many years ago, I had a 20ft day sailing catamaran, I took it up a creek and filled it full of water so it sunk to the bottom, with a float so I could find it afterwards. No damage what so ever .
I have lost two houses to cyclones over the years, even now just the sound of a cyclone terrifies me.
There is nothing wrong with that idea mate. I think that sinking small vessels stops them being missiles as well as making it less likely they will be damaged.

Hope you get through this on ok..

Cheers
Oz
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14   #53

Interesting comparisons

..............Yasi (expected)....... Katrina
rain fall .....1000mm ..................300mm
Size ..........500klm ...................650klm
Eye ...........100klm ...................51klm
Wind Gusts .250kph .................280kph
Storm Surge .7m....................... 8.5m

Source Live coverage: Cyclone Yasi bears down on Queensland coast | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au

Three times the rain of katrina.

Cheers
OZ
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51   #54

ok update: well good and bad. Arrived at hamilton island pretty late got there got some food and then management came round and said we had to evacuate the boats . They did say they'd be given us a free night at the hotel which helps a lot though and very nice of them.

So a mad dash rush to get boat secure in the hour and a bit i had left. Atm, not confident in how boat is if the cyclone makes landfall near here... on the plus side, it's not looking like it will. Also got very sick as i was running around trying to prepare boat(i get throwing up spells on odd occassions, starting to suspect ciguterea) which made the last hour of getting to the hotel rather difficult ^^.

Still will try to get back too boat tommorrow too secure things better and just generally hope that cyclone doesn't make landfall too close and downgrades to a cat 3 or something.

ps:- @budgie smuggler, don't worry mate not looking for an insurance payout if i can avoid it. But i'll put my life over having to get an insurance payout. I do agree letting a boat just out on the moorings to get the insurance is wrong but OTOH cyclones are one of the big reasons too get insurance. Well that and I was told I couldn't even dock at a marina without it.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
cornish disaster relief charity on standby for aftermath of yasi,currently we have boxes ready in sydney, brisbane ,usa,nz and the uk.
www.shelterbox.org see what we do,

how you can help http://www.shelterbox.org/donate.php
Old 01-02-2011, 17:42   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
ok update: well good and bad. Arrived at hamilton island pretty late got there got some food and then management came round and said we had to evacuate the boats . They did say they'd be given us a free night at the hotel which helps a lot though and very nice of them..

Wow.. cudos to corporate tourism. Thats very generous of them to put you up at no charge. We will all have to buy a bottle of Wild Oats now. Just to say thanks to Bob Oatley for being generous to fellow yachties.

Cheers
Oz
Old 01-02-2011, 17:50   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

that is assuming their is still a hotel there in the next 24 hours,latest reports of weather station on willis island were of 180 km winds,but stopped transmitting shortly after.......... met office are now talking of up to 320 kph on land fall
Old 01-02-2011, 18:52   #58

Yeah update on hamilton island: Staff is being really top notch about all this, they also dropped a bunch of meals/snacks aroudn yesterday, today we got bottles of water, coffee emergency supplies etc. And just generally being really good about everything.

WInds are now starting too pick up a bit here as well, though geez nothing on what cairns is probably getting. If you know anyone up there give them a call make sure they're taking all precautions possible for this one IMO.
Old 01-02-2011, 19:01   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Station on Willis Island reported pressure of 938hPa before failing/being destroyed. #Yasi #weather 47 seconds ago reply

Read more: Live coverage: Cyclone Yasi 'more life threatening than any experienced in recent generations' | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au
Station on Willis Island reported pressure of 938hPa before failing/being destroyed. #Yasi #weather 47 seconds ago reply

Read more: Live coverage: Cyclone Yasi 'more life threatening than any experienced in recent generations' | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au
Old 01-02-2011, 19:17   #60

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
troy,

good to hear all is well at Hamilton Is. Expect you will get a fair bit of wind there but managable. they did OK in the cat 3 last year. expect we will get 80kph at least here in Mackay. Cairns will probably be better off than Townsville now as has veered a bit to south.

cheers

Tags
brisbane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: