Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-01-2011, 05:16   #31

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Goodat=y Troy,
I guess Refuge Bay is the closest downwind spot I could suggest. I know of a friend who sheltered there during Ada.

Good Luck and keep us posted. If time, get up to Hinchinbrook and go up a creek.

Hinchenbrook would be two to three days sail away wouldnt it?

Cheers
Oz

Old 31-01-2011, 06:17   #32

Spoken to one other yachtie, an older salt who told me he was heading for a "creek which shall not be named" near airlie. This was before anthony came down. He actually reccomended against marinas, which i'm thinking is generally good advice, only problem is if this turns into a strong cat 4 and passes nearby... then a marina and a hotel actually doesn't sound too bad. ^^

I also need to restock on fuel/water/food so will be heading to a marina once cylone is gone regardless though still undecided really. Thinking marina just in case, though there is that creek... and it's surrounded by mangroves so i could probably tie myself to shore pretty well.. ahh well see how it goes tommorrow.^^ will keep ya posted how it's going.

Old 31-01-2011, 06:24   #33
Mav

Boat: Silverton, 360 Express, 38' Name pending
This is predicted to be Cat 4 when it crosses the coast so go find a safe harbour before it is too late.
Old 31-01-2011, 07:20   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Spoken to one other yachtie, an older salt who told me he was heading for a "creek which shall not be named" near airlie. This was before anthony came down. He actually reccomended against marinas, which i'm thinking is generally good advice, only problem is if this turns into a strong cat 4 and passes nearby... then a marina and a hotel actually doesn't sound too bad. ^^

I also need to restock on fuel/water/food so will be heading to a marina once cylone is gone regardless though still undecided really. Thinking marina just in case, though there is that creek... and it's surrounded by mangroves so i could probably tie myself to shore pretty well.. ahh well see how it goes tommorrow.^^ will keep ya posted how it's going.
I cant remember exactly, but from memory the Fuel wharf at hammo is fixed not floating. In other words it shouldnt get lifted off it piles . Might not be a bad spot to leave the boat if they let you.

Cheers
Oz
Old 31-01-2011, 12:55   #35

Boat: Peterson 46
Hi Troy,
Yeah Hinchinbrook is now too far away.

If you get up a creek, then as Oz said, get in shallow and then anchor and also toie off to mangroves etc.

If I could add my 2c worth, keep the coast guard informed of your whereabouts and status during the blow

Cook up a meal and put into a thermos and also a 2nd thermos of tea/coffee ??

Do you have a grab bag with survival stuff and papers - wallet / boat papers / rego / passport etc.

Marinas have a great chance of being a deathtrap so if you get into a marina, get off teh boat.

Good luck, keep us updated
Old 31-01-2011, 14:00   #36

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Where would you go up there? I was talking to him about Gulnare inlet. But frankly, considering this blow, I would park the boat and secure it as best as possible then get the hell off the water. Cant see any sense in staying on a boat with this beast around.

I notice that they are evacuating Hammo and some of the other islands also. Or so Anna Bligh mentioned on the update.

Cheers
Oz
Oz hard to say - not to Hinchenbrook now as towards it . I know some magrove creeks close to mackay, tie down and get off vessel.

One of issues is we have king tides due and possible tidal surge and massive flooding.

Or heading as far south as possible towards Brisbane. Probably too late now although last evening and at present quite calm.

Hamilton island is being evecuated.

Good advise Rusky.
Old 31-01-2011, 14:43   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
The other thing is to strip the boat outside as much as possible, get sails off, get stuff the deck get wind genes etc down, as much as you can get off.
Old 31-01-2011, 17:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Oz hard to say - not to Hinchenbrook now as towards it . I know some magrove creeks close to mackay, tie down and get off vessel.

One of issues is we have king tides due and possible tidal surge and massive flooding.

Or heading as far south as possible towards Brisbane. Probably too late now although last evening and at present quite calm.

Hamilton island is being evecuated.

Good advise Rusky.
Yeh, its too late for him to move more than a few miles really. Hopefully he is off the pick and on the move as I type this.

I know, at last check, Hammo was looking like the best option. I dont know if he managed to get a room. But, at the very worst, one could be quite comfy in the loos behind the former yachclub. They are tough besser block buildings and reasonably sheltered by hills and other buildings. Obviously, island policy wouldnt allow it. But in my mind it would be a very safe place to be,

Cheers
Oz
Old 31-01-2011, 18:26   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Hammo is evacuated.
Old 31-01-2011, 18:30   #40

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Spoken to one other yachtie, an older salt who told me he was heading for a "creek which shall not be named" near airlie.
In and around here perhaps?

Google Maps

Some of the narrow offshoots look very promising
Old 31-01-2011, 19:20   #41

Um actually have decided too try hamilton. At the moment the latest forecast is not too bad, should pass too the north and winds here probably similar to what we just had from cyclone anthony which wasn't too stressful. If so then i figure marina should be safe enough and as i need to restock on fuel/food/water anyways i may as well. OTOH if forecast changes like anthony did and it moves southwest and considering it's possibly going to be a strong cat 4 then i've decided that i'd rather be in a sturdy hotel room wishing i'd anchored out then be anchored out wishing i was in a sturdy hotel room^^.

Um also, not sure if that creek is the one he was talking about but it does look a good spot. Actually a few nice mangrove creeks around. Though yeah storm surge is a concern, actually at a marina as well.

And oh yeah hamo is being evacuated and i was suppossed to be there by 1 but forgot about current between here and there. Thankfully the marina office were champs about it and they're letting me dock anyways. They also said i can go to one of the hotels if needs be (seems like it's not a total evac).
Old 31-01-2011, 19:59   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
looks like its going to be bad,i work with these guys and we have pre positioned boxes in brisbane and sydney also here in cornwall.

we are part of rotary international,any donations greatly apperciated,our guys are now on standby.

www.shelterbox.org
Old 31-01-2011, 20:49   #43

Quote:
Um actually have decided too try hamilton. At the moment the latest forecast is not too bad, should pass too the north and winds here probably similar to what we just had from cyclone anthony which wasn't too stressful. If so then i figure marina should be safe enough and as i need to restock on fuel/food/water anyways i may as well. OTOH if forecast changes like anthony did and it moves southwest and considering it's possibly going to be a strong cat 4 then i've decided that i'd rather be in a sturdy hotel room wishing i'd anchored out then be anchored out wishing i was in a sturdy hotel room^^.

Um also, not sure if that creek is the one he was talking about but it does look a good spot. Actually a few nice mangrove creeks around. Though yeah storm surge is a concern, actually at a marina as well.

And oh yeah hamo is being evacuated and i was suppossed to be there by 1 but forgot about current between here and there. Thankfully the marina office were champs about it and they're letting me dock anyways. They also said i can go to one of the hotels if needs be (seems like it's not a total evac).
Plus Hammo will have an almost unlimmited stock of beer and pretty young ladies to serve it to you. You wont have that up a creek

Oh Oh Oh, and much importantly. Less competion for said beer via the previous evacuations.

Cheers
Oz
Old 31-01-2011, 20:55   #44

Quote:
snip.

OTOH if forecast changes like anthony did and it moves southwest and considering it's possibly going to be a strong cat 4 then i've decided that i'd rather be in a sturdy hotel room wishing i'd anchored out then be anchored out wishing i was in a sturdy hotel room^^.
Snip
Thats seriously one of the most philosophical comments I have heard in a sailing forum. It really, answers all the questions for anyone not sure what to in this situation.

Cheers
Oz
Old 31-01-2011, 21:13   #45

In my experience, living in the tropics for 30 years(Cairns and Townsville)most cyclones tend to move more to the south west, just like TC Anthony did.
I think Airlie beach, Whitsundays is in for another bashing.
Don't tie up at a marina, most cyclone boating damage is caused by other boats hitting you.

Tags
brisbane

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: