Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39   #61
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
the only time i have shoes on is when its cold- even on land I only wear them when i have to- I think its what your used to!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:47   #62

Boat: Garcia Passoa 48
Anybody on watch after hours alone on our boat has a harness, tether and a whistle. If I am dangling over the side I want to be able to let my wife know I am there.

In case she feigns a deeper than usual sleep we also hand off one of the ACR PLBs. Its a mini EPIRB that I would be very glad to have if I did wind up overboard and unattached.
andrewsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05   #63

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsc View Post
Anybody on watch after hours alone on our boat has a harness, tether and a whistle. If I am dangling over the side I want to be able to let my wife know I am there.

In case she feigns a deeper than usual sleep we also hand off one of the ACR PLBs. Its a mini EPIRB that I would be very glad to have if I did wind up overboard and unattached.
Great back up plan!

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:56   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
im going to start a thread on the shoe discussion as its OT, but I am surprised at the number of responses.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
im going to start a thread on the shoe discussion as its OT, but I am surprised at the number of responses.
There was one not so long ago I believe.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:09   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Hypothermia is insidious. Had to go into 50 degree water to clear a line tangled around the prop. Within 5 minutes had no feeling in my hands which forced me to work with my head underwater so I could see not to cut myself. That further exascerbated the loss of body heat. In the 15 minutes or so I was in the water I became nearly incapacitated and probably wouldn't have been able to get back on board if I hadn't had a crew. Don't plan on living for more than 30 minutes in open ocean, northern latitudes without a PFD and probably not more than an hour with one. The colder the water, the faster Hypothermia sets in with death a possibility in 15 minutes in really cold water. Even 70 degree water will kill you within surprizingly little time.

I carry a personal epirb and always tether myself in when single handing. Figure if I can't get back aboard, will at least get the CG looking for the body. Will make it easier on my wife. BTW, Personal Epirbs have come way down in price recently. You can get one with GPS for the price of quality inflatable PFD these days.

There are just so many ways to fall overboard on a boat. To not take serious precautions against it and/or recovery, should it happen, is really really stupid. Take the precautions, if not for you, for those you will be leaving behind.

That sure looked like a nice boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:14   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Hypothermia is insidious. Had to go into 50 degree water to clear a line tangled around the prop. Within 5 minutes had no feeling in my hands which forced me to work with my head underwater so I could see not to cut myself. That further exascerbated the loss of body heat. In the 15 minutes or so I was in the water I became nearly incapacitated and probably wouldn't have been able to get back on board if I hadn't had a crew.
Leaving aside hypothermia, simply being in the water is very tiring - even before exerting oneself (i.e. by attempting to climb back onboard)......staying right way up (even with lifejacket on) requires a surprising amount of effort, even before trying to swim or only manouveur. so does simply hanging onto the boat / a line.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 23:11   #68

Thanks for all your thoughts. We still live in hope that Arno has found land somewhere and is recovering.
I am heartened by the discussion on making sailing safer. I will certainly turn some brainpower to the problem.
Thanks once again.
alleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 20:44   #69

Alleno,
Thank you for the update and please pass on our condolances to the whole family. We are a tight sailing community and offer our thoughts and prayers. We hope they can heal from this terrible loss. We will all learn something from this and try to be the more careful. This is the last thing any of us would ever want to have happen on our own boats.
With Deep Sympathy,
Kristin
S/V Vision
ssrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 21:21   #70

Boat: Allures 44
I've been dumped in cold water (40 deg F or colder) many times while frostbiting dinghies. The cold is so debilitating that climbing back into a dinghy with 12" of freeboard is totally impossible. There's no way that you can pull yourself up a knotted line or any other line. Without someone to assist you a boarding ladder in benign seas would be your only chance, and only if you were able to make the attempt within the first few minutes. After that it would be difficult to raise your body up the steps. Sobering thoughts...
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:49   #71

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Two thoughts. One, is that cold is debilitating, but I have found that when falling in I have such a tremendous burst of energy that if I have something to cling to I am right back out. I've fallen off a boat in the dead of winter, and through the ice surrounding my boat into the ocean. Water temperature had to be pretty close to 32 degrees, but I hauled myself out via the dock so fast that I really didn't get totally soaked through my winter clothing. However, if I had to spend two minutes in that water I would have been in bad shape with all that winter gear on. This thread has made me want to revisit how I have my swim ladder fastened and maybe revisit the idea of a towed safety line too. In New England a lot of us tow dinghies around, and I have always thought that is one of the best safety devices to have back there. Thought two is on shoes. We have a rule on our boat that shoes go on if you are moving forward, especially after dark or in docking situations. Even anchoring they are helpful. A good Sperry topsider type of sole on a shoe is far better than my feet at preventing slipping, and I have broken toes tripping over things on deck.
Kettlewell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 18:45   #72

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Here's some followup info:

Virginia Marine Police planned to continue looking today for a boater who went missing this week, but officials said Friday that it's unlikely he'll be found alive.

Arno Dawson, 64, from Perth, Australia, was last seen Wednesday evening aboard his 40-foot sailboat, the Wampeter. He moored to the observation pier at Buckroe Beach in Hampton and told authorities he was tired and would move in the morning, Bull said.

At 8:20 a.m. Thursday, a fishing crew spotted the Wampeter cruising unmanned about a quarter-mile north of Little Creek Inlet in the Chesapeake Bay. The Coast Guard and local emergency personnel launched a search for Dawson but called it off at 6 p.m.

Virginia Marine Police resumed the search Friday, focusing on the water and shoreline between the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Bull said. They ended their efforts Friday evening with plans to resume looking today.

It appears Dawson was on the boat alone.

Dawson is an experienced sailor who manage s a boat-building company in Australia. He found the Wampeter, which was ported in Annapolis, Md., online, purchased it for $26,000 in December and came to the United States in the last few weeks to work on it. He went to sea Monday, planning to sail the boat home, Bull said.

"To our knowledge, he was a very experienced sailor," he said. "That's quite a long sail."

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:31   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
~8 nm as the crow flies.

Found at 8:20 am.

He must have got up early.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:40   #74

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
And if I recall correctly, there were high winds that day on the Chesapeake, something like 30 to 35k, and likely high seas in that part of the bay.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:02   #75
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Hi,

What a sad story!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote