Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 14:20   #61

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Is there really any info that indicates that there was any relationship between this chap's age and his need for rescue? Seems to me that he had a rig failure, the possibilities of a jury rig getting him to safety were slim, and he bailed. Nothing about that scenario that is age related.

I have been surprised a few times here on CF by the "ageist" prejudices that have been vehemently voiced. As a fairly active sailing old fart my reaction ranges from quiet amusement to being POed when these sentiments are bandied about.

I hope that these folks who denigrate older sailors realize that if they are lucky, one day they too will be aged and decrepit... and still sailing!

Cheers,

Jim
I guess this guy hasn't heard about age being a factor ...

Minoru Saito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8 solo circumnavigations and the last at age 77!
Old 06-01-2012, 14:33   #62
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

now that I think about it, people from a lot of places don't speak English all that well on the radio. It can be hard to understand them, sometimes. Is there perhaps some incentive to fund a grant to study whether or not we need to implement English Language tests to people using VHF radios? If our search and rescue people have to spend hours trying to decipher what someone is saying on the radio in order to go save them, it's going to cost money! Not as much as an hour of Air Force One, but still, every little bit helps. Maybe we should restrict non English speaking people (by standards yet to be implemented!) to operation within sight of the coast so that we can use hand signals.

(Note to self: research avisability of requiring sailors to complete and pass a sign language course for renewal of their cruising license)
Old 06-01-2012, 15:00   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Is there really any info that indicates that there was any relationship between this chap's age and his need for rescue?
When you consider the average 84 year old man is drooling on hospital linen while sleeping in a wet diaper, I think the averages were not in his favor. A well done tan doesn't mean his brain wasn't baked. However romantic the idea of sailing into the sunset may be, the moment one changes their minds, one automatically puts others at risk. Just as there's nothing sentimental standing on a 20 story building ledge and not following through. Thinking your invincible at any age is not only dangerous, but irresponsible.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:40   #64

Boat: Tartan 30

the average 84 year old man isn't out trying to sail around cape horn, indeed.
Old 06-01-2012, 15:43   #65
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
the average 84 year old man isn't out trying to sail around cape horn, indeed.
After the medication... who knows...??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:32   #66

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I'm sure you are excluding both Laura Dekker and Jessica Watson in your reference? Laura is a natural, and can totally "dial-in" to any vessel she is sailing. I my have earned my living at sea, but I in no way possess Laura's talents.
If they are legally children, they lack by definition the maturity to make the adult decisions necessary to sail solo.

If you want to give them the vote and let old fellows like me copulate with them, well, we can discuss that. But just because a child (legally) has the skills to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. Recall the child pilot of the 1990s who ended up dead because of her participation in a stunt.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:39   #67

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm getting this. We know: 1) He busted a mast. 2) he did not have any Russian babes aboard ( some think he should have) , 3) he was solo. 4) he asked for help by activating an epirb. We can suppose if he had Russian babes or hairy masculine sea people he would not have activated the epirb. If hairy masculine people or Russian babes died and he did not activate epirb we would be mad at him. If he died and Russian babes or masculine hairy people activated epirb that would be better.if they were Russians babes the manly true man would be proud. When my ass has been kicked its never been one thing . Things accumulate and you work tword being prepared for those. Everyone has a braking point. Even hairy Russian babes.
He must have felt prepared might have liked Russian babes aboard. Doubt he regrets trying. Not sure but pretty sure the hello pilot was good with helping out. 1) the helo pilot might have liked it more if Russian babes were aboard. 2) may have wondered why he didn't have Russian babes aboard. 3) wondered why their wasn't at least a few hairy manly men aboard but probably didn't care. he got to fly and the guy to sail.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:48   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Hmmmmm...
This age things definitely a western culture thing...
In some places grow old fast... or die...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	child_301102_4.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	35666  

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:54   #69

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well if age and a Heavy Tan have anything to do with sailing abilty, Ive seen some 20 or 30 yr olds who could not sail out of any harbor, young tanned, old and tanned what the heck has that to do with anything ?? this Older Gentlman could probly sail better then some of the posters on here! Heck Im 73 been sailing better then 50 yrs and Im a long way from being senile or ready to quit sailing, Lets remember most all of us no matter where we are from payfor the use of our coast gardes, or what ever they call em, and if you would never use your EPIRB when you spilt a mast why do you carry one !! heck they get set off all the time by accident don't hear you yellin about the cost of that !! This man needed help 84 or 24 he needed it !! so whats your Bi--h ?? just my 2 cents Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:01   #70

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

His mast didn't fall down! Here's a picture of his boat as he was rescued.

This is a report in todays Latitude38's Lectronic latitude.. Scroll down to the last article.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

How come we find so much entainment in thread drift using someone eles's mis-fortune as a starting point?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 18:41   #71
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Because it IS entertaining. I get a kick out of one nationaliltyh somehow thinking that THEY somehow get to define what's legal decision age for people in the rest of the world. Sixteen is a legal mother with a household and multiple children in many parts of the world. Yet, some of the worldly sailors on this forum would have you believe that they are incapable of sailing around the world, despite the fact that they continue to do it.

That's fricken hilarious. Kinda like saying you absolutely CANNOT drink a Molson in Canada, because it's illegal in northern Pakistan.
Old 06-01-2012, 19:06   #72

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Because it IS entertaining. I get a kick out of one nationaliltyh somehow thinking that THEY somehow get to define what's legal decision age for people in the rest of the world. Sixteen is a legal mother with a household and multiple children in many parts of the world. Yet, some of the worldly sailors on this forum would have you believe that they are incapable of sailing around the world, despite the fact that they continue to do it.

That's fricken hilarious. Kinda like saying you absolutely CANNOT drink a Molson in Canada, because it's illegal in northern Pakistan.
Atta Boy, I like what you say. To many people want to control everyone else's life. Becuse there afraid of there own lives. Let's just keep on cruising and let then condenm us to hell.
Life is short enough and we all have to die...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 19:57   #73

Boat: 33ft sloop

What about Chichester who sailed close to his 70's when even ill.

I remember the story of a yacht that beached on one of the atolls in the pacific, having one crew on board a long period of time deceased. That's a good way to pass away - I' ll do the same.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:16   #74

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Single handed 84 year old rescued off Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Get rescued because you've perhaps pushed your luck too often and for too many years? I would say that if you've tried six previous times to round Cape Horn solo and haven't made it, you have the wrong boat, the wrong skipper or too many years to manage it.

This doesn't mean it can't be done: I know some tough-as-nails old circa-WWII guys at my club who still take out their PSCs and Albergs into very snotty weather without comment or bother, but it does suggest that this particular achievement is perhaps beyond this particular sailor. Whether that's age, skill or luck-related is unknown, but this would seem to be a clear case of the universe trying to tell this old man something he is not prepared to hear.
Doesnt matter how good or bad you are,
A broken mast brings everybody back to a level playing field,

So. If you break your mast, I take it that you will refuse help of any kind,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:28   #75

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
What about Chichester who sailed close to his 70's when even ill.

I remember the story of a yacht that beached on one of the atolls in the pacific, having one crew on board a long period of time deceased. That's a good way to pass away - I' ll do the same.
Chichester was getting bailed out way before he hit 70. His son complains about the frequent opportunity they had for saving dad.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding