Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 20:37   #76

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Canibul
A few obervation if I may.
How come its alright for you to say what ever you want, but condem others when they express their opinion?
Having lived aboard 12 years before going singlehanded cruising at 60 for 10 years and now beihg 72, I sort of defend older singlehandlers.

I guess some people cruising have changed from when I was out there. When people needed help, we helped then, now some use them as a source of entertanment. .
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 21:20   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
His mast didn't fall down! Here's a picture of his boat as he was rescued.

This is a report in todays Latitude38's Lectronic latitude.. Scroll down to the last article.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

How come we find so much entainment in thread drift using someone eles's mis-fortune as a starting point?
It would be better if you read the fuller, and much more detailed story I gave in my post 48.
Old 06-01-2012, 22:20   #78

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Is there really any info that indicates that there was any relationship between this chap's age and his need for rescue? Seems to me that he had a rig failure, the possibilities of a jury rig getting him to safety were slim, and he bailed. Nothing about that scenario that is age related.

I have been surprised a few times here on CF by the "ageist" prejudices that have been vehemently voiced. As a fairly active sailing old fart my reaction ranges from quiet amusement to being POed when these sentiments are bandied about.

I hope that these folks who denigrate older sailors realize that if they are lucky, one day they too will be aged and decrepit... and still sailing!

Cheers,

Jim
Well put, Jim

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:19   #79

There is an indepth interview with Tom Coragan in the November 2011 issue of Latitude 38 (http://www.latitude38.com/eBooks/2011/L38201111.pdf), a local sailing monthly in the SF Bay area. For those arguing both side of the issue it is well worth the read to learn Tom's background and personality. Tom also talked about his previous six attempts and why he failed.

I don't know about attempting to round the horn when I am 84 but I sure would like to still be out sailing. As for whether or not Tom was well prepared for the challenge it seems that the Chilean Navy spokesman thought he was. So I don't understand all of the criticism. Anyone at any age would be challenged to attempt to jury rig the boat and sail to the nearest port at that latitude single-handedly unless your last name is Slocum, Chichester, Moitessier...
Triton106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:46   #80

Boat: Triton 24

[QUOTE=Canibul;854207]i don't think the age of his rig, or his own age, or his motives matter a bit. What matters is that it is his right to try to sail wherever he pleases.
[QUOTE]

I agree. Everyone has the right to do as they please, within legal bounds (and even without, but therein you may also have the right to remain silent, etc).

The corollary, of course, is that when you do so the risk is yours and you don't have the right, unless granted, to cost others money, hinder them or particularly endanger their lives when persuing your personal desires.

Now please note I'm making no comment on whether this gentleman's voyage was noble or foolhardy (I don't know enough about it to make that kind of judgement), merely that it's an important qualification of the 'do whatever you want' concept, and one that seems to be lost sometimes in this entitled world.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
What if the poor Chilean rescue helicopter ditched on route? Would Mr. Eighth-is-the-charm sell his boat to send his orphaned kids to college?
Dont know about chilean rescue helicopter, but I do know about a rescue helicopter paramedic that died recently rescuing canyoners in Australia.

Rescuer dies

The rescuers family are strong in their desire that the canyoners feel no guilt.

The reality here is that if we were to follow your premise to a reasonable conclusion, then no pleasure boaters should ever push an EPIRB button, no sports/adventure people should be rescued, indeed no one that chooses to drive a car should expect emergency services personal to come and help them out of a burning car or similar.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:25   #82

Boat: 33ft sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Chichester was getting bailed out way before he hit 70. His son complains about the frequent opportunity they had for saving dad.
What is bailed out?

He was 65 when starting his RTW and about 70 when he did the 4000 nm in 20 days.
He died at 72 because of his returning cancer that hit him already during the 400 nm.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:51   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

This age things definitely a western culture thing.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:12   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
This age things definitely a western culture thing.
Indeed....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23   #85
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Canibul
A few obervation if I may.
How come its alright for you to say what ever you want, but condem others when they express their opinion?
Having lived aboard 12 years before going singlehanded cruising at 60 for 10 years and now beihg 72, I sort of defend older singlehandlers.

I guess some people cruising have changed from when I was out there. When people needed help, we helped then, now some use them as a source of entertanment. .

????????????????
John, I think perhaps you have completely misread my posts, or perhaps gotten mixed up by someone else quoting me in their own, anti-geriatric post?

Because if you will please re-read what I have written in this thread, I am hoping it is overwhelmingly obvious where I stand on this issue. Am I being too subtle in my posts here?

I strongly support this sailors absolute right to take HIS boat into international waters, without regard to how many birthdays he has celebrated. I also think that he should reasonably be able to expect assistance in the event of calamity. What did his age have to do with his rigging breaking? If he was 25 years old, and trying this passage for the sixth time, and his mast broke and he had to be rescued, would we be having this discussion?

You might not like my opinion, but I think you misunderstood it. I feel strongly that a large part of what's going on in the USA today is because too many people kept their opinions to themselves, and allowed the shrill idiots of Nanny Government to drown out the voice of reason.

You say you support us old timers ( I'm 61) but then suggest we stand by and not challenge the opinions of those who would keep you and I from sailing our boats as we wish, just because THEY don't like it? Its the worst form of passive aggressive control freak mentality.

I think I will continue to oppose it. Sorry you don't agree.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07   #86

Boat: Tartan 30

QUOTE=genomic;854560]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
i don't think the age of his rig, or his own age, or his motives matter a bit. What matters is that it is his right to try to sail wherever he pleases.

I agree. Everyone has the right to do as they please, within legal bounds (and even without, but therein you may also have the right to remain silent, etc).

The corollary, of course, is that when you do so the risk is yours and you don't have the right, unless granted, to cost others money, hinder them or particularly endanger their lives when persuing your personal desires.

Now please note I'm making no comment on whether this gentleman's voyage was noble or foolhardy (I don't know enough about it to make that kind of judgement), merely that it's an important qualification of the 'do whatever you want' concept, and one that seems to be lost sometimes in this entitled world.
Thats the general argument when it comes to these things.. but by this logic, people wouldn't be able to do most types of sports activity, sine theirs always a risk of either hurting someone else or needing a rescue. We couldn't go mountain climbing, ride motorcyles, kayak around alaska, go fishing anywhere off the coast, scuba dive...the list goes on... 99% of the people doing these things have no desire to die doing it. Or at the very least, are willing to call for help if they actually needed it.

It seems that some believe the only people that should be allowed on the ocean is the moitessiers and chichesters of the world, and 'professionals'. But luckily, the ocean is still free to explore for anyone who chooses to, and there are people willing to come to you're rescue if it's ever needed.

So we get to do the things we love. all of us, because those people choose to make sacrifices for the larger good. Thank them when you register you're epirb, and go sailing.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:08   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I strongly support this sailors absolute right to take HIS boat into international waters, without regard to how many birthdays he has celebrated. I also think that he should reasonably be able to expect assistance in the event of calamity. What did his age have to do with his rigging breaking? If he was 25 years old, and trying this passage for the sixth time, and his mast broke and he had to be rescued, would we be having this discussion?
While many can agree with you on this point...

Quote:
You say you support us old timers ( I'm 61) but then suggest we stand by and not challenge the opinions of those who would keep you and I from sailing our boats as we wish, just because THEY don't like it? Its the worst form of passive aggressive control freak mentality.
This side of your argument appears to be a based upon some kind of paranoiac reaction based on personal prejudice and your age. I don't believe "THEY" want to remove any of your right to enjoy the pursuit of your happiness. Arguments as these still doesn't justify poor judgment at any age. Competency, is more the issue, and science has shown the older we get the more child-like we become.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19   #88

Boat: 33ft sloop

There is a sport between " " that is called mountain climbing. The very top of egotripping.

In the very past I had a Newspaper duel with such a climber who let a man die because
he couldn' t make tit to the top, left by his comrades because it was not worth it to bring him down. Intentionally they left him on his own, some X1000 metres high up.
This is what I call an almost criminal act. But I know that such is the game and therefore I call this sport the very top of egotripping.

It is far away from our leisure, where one will brake off a tour, even a race to help a fellow sailor.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single Handed 84 Year Old Rescued off Easter Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
While many can agree with you on this point...

This side of your argument appears to be a based upon some kind of paranoiac reaction based on personal prejudice and your age. I don't believe "THEY" want to remove any of your right to enjoy the pursuit of your happiness. Arguments as these still doesn't justify poor judgment at any age. Competency, is more the issue, and science has shown the older we get the more child-like we become.
ROTFLMAO.......
Laura Decker... man I'd love to be that childlike in my abilities....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:42   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey

I'm all for keeping the old folks active - but some are simply a menance to themselves and others. Just like younger folks.........and no automatic link between getting old and getting wise.

The odds are that at 84 you will be sitting in a rocking chair and thinking you are sailing around cape horn, and that damp patch is from the sea.....
There are a couple of 84 year olds in Singapore waiting for you to visit so they can take turns kicking your ass...

You can't make blanket statements based on age, 84 is the new 60...

This guy has iron raisins and hats off to him for staying at it.

I presume no one on this forum has a bucket list? I have no desire to round the horn but the fact he's been there 7 times is amazing. Good on him.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
singlehanding