Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-10-2010, 10:24   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You think there maybe a reason why the sea turtles are going extinct?

The Turtle eggs are stolen to be sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Americans through greed, arrogance, self entitlement, manefest detiny, and pursuit of the god of consumerisim have managed to rape, pillage and burn the land, air and water of what used to be virtual paradise and want to sit back and pass judgement on Costa Rica environmental practices, get real!
Gee! I thought that was the Spaniard Conquistadors or was it the Vikings?

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:53   #32

Boat: Hunter 420
I think it's funny when people believe everything they read...especially from something that's cut and pasted on the post. So it must be true!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:02   #33
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Cburger, your opinion of American political, economic and environmental policy is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Firstly, it is not only Americans who have criticized the policy in Costa Rica (perhaps the most vocal criticism on this site is from a resident of the UK). Secondly, virtually all industrialized nations have had their own environmental issues/disasters - surely that does not disentitle residents of all such nations from taking a stand on environmental issues. Indeed, one can argue that the sinner is often the one best equipped to express an opinion on sin (and yes, some of us do learn from our mistakes). Thirdly, the fact that someone is a resident of a particular nation does not mean that they agree with everything that is done by the government/business of that nation. You would seem to be a perfect example of that.

Frankly, even though I am not from the United States, I tire of 'American-bashing' (just as I tire of 'Venezuelan-bashing' and 'Cuban bashing' and 'ECM-bashing' and any other country/culture bashing) when those attacks are based upon a political philosophy that is obviously not universally shared. It is decidedly inappropriate and counter-productive on what is an international site for cruisers and sailors.

Brad
Old 04-10-2010, 11:38   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
... I tire of 'American-bashing' (just as I tire of 'Venezuelan-bashing' and 'Cuban bashing' and 'ECM-bashing' and any other country/culture bashing) when those attacks are based upon a political philosophy that is obviously not universally shared. It is decidedly inappropriate and counter-productive on what is an international site for cruisers and sailors.
Brad
Well said!
We don't do bashing, here.
As I've opined in other contexts, not all critical evaluation is “bashing”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 11:42   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Presumably if you kept them somewhere warm and dark for a month you would end up with baby turtles which could then be deep fat fried in batter

Pete
Old 04-10-2010, 11:43   #36
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=cburger;533713]
Quote:
... The Turtle eggs are stolen to be sold ...
Some of the turtle eggs, that would not likely have survived the next night's laying, are being harvested to be sold.

Get Smart!

(one of my favourite TV programs of the sixties)
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2010, 12:04   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw5055 View Post
I think it's funny when people believe everything they read...
I don't find it very funny, and certainly not satisfying; but it may be part of human nature.

We should be very careful when we expose ourselves to unreliable information, especially if we're doing something else at the time.

One might naturally think that on being given information, or told a proposition; we would first comprehend what the proposition meant, then consider the proposition, and finally accept or reject it.

What is the mind's default position: are we naturally critical or naturally gullible? As a species do we have a tendency to behave like Agent Mulder from the X-Files who always wanted to believe in mythical monsters and alien abductions? Or are we like his partner Agent Scully who was the critical scientist, generating alternative explanations, trying to understand and evaluate the strange occurrences they encountered rationally?

The French philosopher, mathematician and physicist René Descartes argued that understanding and believing are two separate processes. First people take in some information, by paying attention to it, then they decide what to do with that information, which includes believing or disbelieving it.

The Dutch philosopher Baruch Spinoza, a contemporary of Descartes, took a quite different view. He thought that the very act of understanding information was believing it. We may, he thought, be able to change our minds afterwards, say when we come across evidence to the contrary; but until that time we believe everything.

Three experiments support the hypothesis that comprehension includes an initial belief in the information comprehended.

They found that “understanding is believing”, a fraction of a second after reading it, you believe it until some other critical faculty kicks in to change your mind.

We really do want to believe, just like Agent Mulder.

Unbelieving the Unbelievable - Some Problems in the Rejection of False Information
Here ➥ http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilb...BELIEVING).pdf

You can't not believe everything you read
Here ➥ http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilb...OU%20READ).pdf

Old 04-10-2010, 13:04   #38

Boat: Westsail 32
[QUOTE=Southern Star;533795]Cburger, your opinion of American political, economic and environmental policy is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

The point was, before one casts dispersions, that one owns house should be in order.
Old 04-10-2010, 13:16   #39

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Cburger, your opinion of American political, economic and environmental policy is irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
The point was, before one casts dispersions, that one owns house should be in order.
That's right, I did all those things. I owned slaves in the 1850s, I shot President Kennedy, I gave mothers thalidomide in the 1960s. I dumped toxic waste in to landfills, I spit into the wind and peed uphill. Because of all this I am not allowed to form an opinion or express the same.

That makes sense.
Old 04-10-2010, 13:30   #40
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
cburger, I fully understand the argument that 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'. However, that point could have been made without such an imflammatory and, frankly, over-the top attack on American history, values and its place in the world.

Brad
Old 04-10-2010, 13:37   #41

I guess the thread title "Shame on Costa Rica" is mellow?
Old 04-10-2010, 13:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
I guess the thread title "Shame on Costa Rica" is mellow?
So, maybe we should rename post "Harvesting turtle eggs in Costa Rica". Or maybe not, at least, the real story is out in the open!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 13:47   #43

Quote:
So, maybe we should rename post "Harvesting turtle eggs in Costa Rica". Or maybe not, at least, the real story is out in the open!
Good One
Old 04-10-2010, 13:56   #44
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Rolf the Rotten;533912]
Quote:
... That's right, I did all those things... I gave mothers thalidomide in the 1960s. .
Not in the USA, you didn't. Thalidomide was never approved by the FDA in the US.

Old 04-10-2010, 17:03   #45

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The French philosopher, mathematician and physicist René Descartes argued that understanding and believing are two separate processes. First people take in some information, by paying attention to it, then they decide what to do with that information, which includes believing or disbelieving it.

The Dutch philosopher Baruch Spinoza, a contemporary of Descartes, took a quite different view. He thought that the very act of understanding information was believing it. We may, he thought, be able to change our minds afterwards, say when we come across evidence to the contrary; but until that time we believe everything.

Three experiments support the hypothesis that comprehension includes an initial belief in the information comprehended.

They found that “understanding is believing”, a fraction of a second after reading it, you believe it until some other critical faculty kicks in to change your mind.

We really do want to believe, just like Agent Mulder.

Unbelieving the Unbelievable - Some Problems in the Rejection of False Information
Here ➥ http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilbert%20et%20al%20(UNBELIEVING).pdf

You can't not believe everything you read
Here ➥ http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~dtg/Gilbert%20et%20al%20(EVERYTHING%20YOU%20READ).pdf
Personally I think Descartes had the right of it. Many a time I've read things and gone right to disbelief. Especially after the last 6 years of starting to read alternate news sources. I'd say most of what is out there is total horse pucky designed to sway people in different directions. I'm about at the point of going outside to confirm the sky is blue if I'm told that by some newsies.

Given this particular example one can see why one must use a pound or so of salt when reading stuff, especially on line stuff. Every forum I frequent has similar problems, lots of old info getting mixed in with new, and a lot of the new is plainly incorrect. Most newsies couldn't find their own butts with both hands, and their level of general knowledge can be compared to that of a houseplant but we read and listen to their drivel every day and take it as gospel. That needs to be changed.

Sabre

SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Costa Rica, Finland

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: