Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 16:59   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: SF ousted for Americas cup

[QUOTE=crazyoldboatguy;1564455]I don't watch sailboat races much. Never got into it. I thought the boat that broke in half did so due to a design issue - making the boat as light as possible left her with too little strength - happens with racing boats.

BandB yes - still just a lake. We flat landers get that a lot. I was a welder in a shipyard in Wisconsin in 1975 when the Edmund Fitzgerald (760' long lake freighter) sank. They said the waves broke her in half - on a lake.

Never heard of a Chicago/Mac race that was delayed or suspended due to wind. Ted Turner sailed in one where almost a dozen boats were dis-masted. On a lake. Poor Ted made fun of the lake before the race. Ate his words after it. [/QUOTE

It still sank. Not sure what you meant then about sinking in an AC race.

Coops.
Old 14-06-2014, 18:13   #62

Boat: Various

[QUOTE=Coops;1564462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
I don't watch sailboat races much. Never got into it. I thought the boat that broke in half did so due to a design issue - making the boat as light as possible left her with too little strength - happens with racing boats.

BandB yes - still just a lake. We flat landers get that a lot. I was a welder in a shipyard in Wisconsin in 1975 when the Edmund Fitzgerald (760' long lake freighter) sank. They said the waves broke her in half - on a lake.

Never heard of a Chicago/Mac race that was delayed or suspended due to wind. Ted Turner sailed in one where almost a dozen boats were dis-masted. On a lake. Poor Ted made fun of the lake before the race. Ate his words after it. [/QUOTE

It still sank. Not sure what you meant then about sinking in an AC race.

Coops.
Wifey B: Oh Captain Outrageous. Too bad I wasn't born yet when he raced. From what I've read, that was an interesting time for AC.

And we know it's not like other lakes, although on the lake we lived on in NC there were regattas cancelled and sailboats flipped and sunk at various times. Obviously the most popular area for sailing was an wide area open in all four directions. Get winds up to 30 mph or above, maybe gusts to 60, and things could get interesting. We helped sailboaters right their ships a couple of times. One poor dude on a July 4 when they cancelled the regatta still decided to sail. He had a hobie I think. When we saw him it was upside down and he was pulling to right it. Problem was he was pulling with the wind so when it went up it just kept going on down again. But he couldn't pull against the wind from the water. So we pulled it up by boat and told him to take the freaking sail down. Then towed him in. And it was like a super miniscule compared to Lake Michigan. In fact my math nerd hubby just checked and it would fit in Lake Michigan 446 times.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 18:14   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I didn't mean to sound like that. I know there are tons of events. I'm just saying I do understand why they said "no." I also wonder if with that amount of money they could do something better for the group of enthusasts who live and play on one of the best sailing areas in the world.

That's why I asked the question I did.

Did you watch the event live? How many others did?
Yes...but it was more by accident than intention. I was shaking done "Joli Elle" for my trip south while Prada, Artimus and Oracle were out practicing.
If I did not have a particular date I was departing, I would have stayed for a few events.
In Santa Cruz, I had fun watching the 505 nationals. Monterey Bay also has an active sailing venue.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 18:32   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Yes...but it was more by accident than intention. I was shaking done "Joli Elle" for my trip south while Prada, Artimus and Oracle were out practicing.
If I did not have a particular date I was departing, I would have stayed for a few events.
In Santa Cruz, I had fun watching the 505 nationals. Monterey Bay also has an active sailing venue.
Was it more imposing and spectacular live or on television? I would think the size would be a lot more striking live and perhaps the speed as well.
Old 14-06-2014, 18:38   #65

Quote:
Was it more imposing and spectacular live or on television? I would think the size would be a lot more striking live and perhaps the speed as well.

Two different things.

1. The "majesty" of these huge "machines" moving that fast, and seeing them in person, has always been impressive.

But

2. When you're sailing in a sailboat race (and I've done many), when you're on the water it is very, very difficult to see what's happening in the "Big Picture" even if it's only two boats. Often the only time to find out what's happened on one "leg" of the race, especially when you've split tacks and aren't covering, is at the next mark. In that case, the TV coverage was superb in showing these things that you simply couldn't see while watching from the water, even up close and personal.

If you haven't raced in a sailboat race, it may be hard to conceive of this.

Closest thing I can think of is a Correct Time Log powerboat event, if I have that term right.

Another But:

Difference between going to a baseball game or watching it on TV, going to a concert or listening to the "Live" recording. This is NOT a sailboat issue in answer to your question, it's a LIFE thing.

How about?: Watching someone's video of their Bahamas cruise vs. going on one on your own boat yourself?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 18:42   #66

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

It's amazing how intense it can get even on a small body of water. Storms can pop up with little warning and things can get quite dangerous.

I doubt Turner would admit much now. It was quite the thing, then. He had cameras on board to document his triumph over the little lake sailors. I doubt there is a single print of that.

Coop, I had only remembered that sinking boat when it was mentioned. I had even forgotten it happened during a cup race. I suppose it could be debated that sinking due to hull failure is different but I would be splitting useless hairs and so I won't. 2 sailors drowned in the 2011 Chicago Mac race when their boat capsized and they were trapped in the hull. They were seasoned sailors. It can get nasty on the water. Peace.
Old 14-06-2014, 18:48   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Two different things.

1. The "majesty" of these huge "machines" moving that fast, and seeing them in person, has always been impressive.

But

2. When you're sailing in a sailboat race (and I've done many), when you're on the water it is very, very difficult to see what's happening in the "Big Picture" even if it's only two boats. Often the only time to find out what's happened on one "leg" of the race, especially when you've split tacks and aren't covering, is at the next mark. In that case, the TV coverage was superb in showing these things that you simply couldn't see while watching from the water, even up close and personal.

If you haven't raced in a sailboat race, it may be hard to conceive of this.

Closest thing I can think of is a Correct Time Log powerboat event, if I have that term right.

Another But:

Difference between going to a baseball game or watching it on TV, going to a concert or listening to the "Live" recording. This is NOT a sailboat issue in answer to your question, it's a LIFE thing.

How about?: Watching someone's video of their Bahamas cruise vs. going on one on your own boat yourself?
Poker Runs for Powerboats.

Much like an auto race, the drivers wouldn't know anything if not for spotters above telling them. But I'm assuming in a sailboat race there is no one letting them know what is going on. Are they allowed communication from others on land or elsewhere?

Well, some sports translate to television better than others. Football is now putting more in the stadiums to try to bring it up to television. And golf tournaments you only know what is happening on one hole on the course where television can show it all. On the other hand television has struggled greatly to capture the excitement of ice hockey. And I'd far rather watch an auto race on television. Not the noise, smell or congestion. Then some sports are fun to play and boring to watch. I put tennis in that group.

I would think the best way to watch a sailboat race would be on your boat with a television on too.
Old 14-06-2014, 18:59   #68

Quote:

1. Much like an auto race, the drivers wouldn't know anything if not for spotters above telling them. But I'm assuming in a sailboat race there is no one letting them know what is going on. Are they allowed communication from others on land or elsewhere?

2. I would think the best way to watch a sailboat race would be on your boat with a television on too.
1. Nope, not like an auto race, which is what I mentioned earlier abou the discussions during the AC Races when people were gagging each other about comparisons to Formula 1 racing. It simply isn't. And, no, you're in a sailboat race, no shoreside discussions allowed.

2. Could be, lotsa people did it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 19:15   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
1. Nope, not like an auto race.
I meant only in the sense of not knowing what others were doing. You can't see the rest of the course. Only can see a boat in close proximity to you. Now perhaps there is one difference, in that persons can turn in various directions and use binoculars to see. So not limited to just what is in front or directly behind.
Old 15-06-2014, 16:12   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Two completely different and spectacular experiences. On the water Prada accelerated about a 1/4 mile away from us and past us very close. I didn't like the wake from the chase boats however.
I did follow a few of the races and enjoyed all the angles and the presentation of it. However, I never enjoy the commercials.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote