Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Which date suits you best?
July 12/13 3 100.00%
July 26/27 0 0%
August 16/17 0 0%
August 23/24 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2008, 20:01   #91

Boat: Privilege 39
Unfortunately due to a continuing (and continually extending) head and shower rebuild, we are not going to be able to make it.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 21:25   #92

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hello All:

We are getting good response for the upcoming SF Bay Rendevous. I hope to be there around 1430 or so. I will try to get the charcoal started at 1530 and then we can start cooking as soon as they are ready.

In order for this event to have the least amount of organizing and still be a potluck I propose the following format:

I’ll bring coals. Everyone bring what they want to cook on them. Everyone provide there own drinks. Here is a list of the sides that we want covered. As we get more confirmations we’ll decide how many people each side should feed.

Green Salad: 2

Side Dish : 4

Dessert: 14 (LOL) OK 3 Charlie, (2 left)

Something Else: 2

Confirmed:

David M: 2 Adults 1 kid (?)

Charlie: 2 Adults – 4 kids (ages 10 and 11) and a dog (that likes cats)

Windsaloft: 2 Adults and a cat

Randyon3: 2 adults

Raptor Dance: 2 Adults

Not confirmed recently:

Kai Nui:

Scotte

Squeaks

Aleii:

Dr. Moreau

There in Spirit:

Imagine2frolic

Gene

I’m not sure on numbers yet.

Ok as far as identifying people. Everyone wear a black rose in their left breast pocket. The secret code word is, “The tide rises at 1430 (this is true)” To which you respond “Only to those who monitor Cruisers Forum.”

I guess the easiest thing would be for everyone to monitor channel 16. If we make a list of boat names I could distribute it either by PM or post it on the forum or we can just use our cruiser’s Forum names. My boat is black and named Ohana. Shes 41’ long and will have four kids racing around her. Should be easy to spot. I’ll also have a red and a blue kayak and probably an inflatable dink as well. For those of you coming on land if you don’t have a handheld I’m open to suggestions. I’ll call and see if I can get a reservation at one of the day camp areas seeing as we already have a decent amount of people so far. Randy has said he would try and get one if possible as he is going to be there early.
Dr Moreau has agreed to bring a dessert.

Wind's Aloft has agreed to bring a green salad.

At this point we have the following people attending:

David M 2 + 1 (David please confirm) undeclared

Charlie 2 Adults + 4 kids Bringing dessert

Windsaloft: 2 adults brigning green salad (ranch dressing only.)

Randyon3: 2 Adults undeclared

Raptor Dance: 2 Adults undeclared

Cat460: 2 Adults possible 1 teenager undeclared

Kain Nui and Scotte have pressing boat business and are unlikely to show.

So far total is 12 adults and 4 to 6 kids. Please let us know what type of side you are going to bring.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 21:28   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active Transport View Post
I have lived and cruised the SF bay for 15 years and have spent many nights at china Camp and done a couple of yacht club parties on shore.

The China Camp/McNear's Beach anchorage is the best choice for the type of get together you are planning. TI cove can be cold and windy and an anchoring challenge for the late arrivals but anyone with less that 7' of draft can get in there in almost any state of the time. The safe entrance to TI cove is close to the small boat launching facility on the right as you head in. dont go straight through the middle if you draw more than about 3 feet.

At China camp just anchor off the beach according to your depth requirements at low tide. I have only touched the bottom once there and knew I was pushing the envelope that time.

The beach is OK. The little museum at china camp is actually very well done and tells the story of the Chinese people who shrimped the bay.

Holding is pretty good but be prepared to spend some time cleaning your anchor as you leave.

The current in this anchorage is significant and causes all of the boats to swing 180 with the tides and sometimes ride at weird angles to the wind and current when the two are opposed. Sometimes the current is trong enough to cause your prop to spin so if you dont want to wake up to strange noises in the middle of the night, put the engine in gear. The current is no big deal just make sure you leave enough room to swing free of your neighbors, especially if they are power boats that might not ride the same way a sailboat will.

I would not raft up at this anchorage, but I would not raft up in most anchorages. I do see boats rafted up at China Camp.

We are dealing with the deadlines associated with a September 6 departure for the south pacific so we wont be able to be there for this evet. You should have a nice comfy night at this time of year.

Thanks for the tips Active Transport. Too bad you can't make it.

Thanks John

BTW The anchor that was formerly yours will be tested on this trip.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 07-07-2008, 23:24   #94

Charlie,

That anchor worked fine for me at China Camp. It you have any problems with it you will be doing something wrong.

John
Active Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:25   #95

John:

Test is for me more than the anchor LOL. Biggest problem is that the windlass is being repaired. Don't think it will be reinstalled in time so I'll be armstronging it. At least it is n't too deep. I can handle 20' of rope and 30' of chain.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 08-07-2008, 08:37   #96

Charlie,

In addition to the line and chain you will need a hand for either the washdown hose or a bucket on a rope. You could end up looking like one of those Indian deities up there on the foredeck.

It took me over 15 minutes to clean our chain last weekend in that anchorage with a hose and washdown pump. I still ended up getting a lot of it on the deck.

John
Active Transport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52   #97

Thanks for the warning John.

I do have 2 kids who like to play in the mud. I'll have their help too.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 11-07-2008, 07:57   #98

Hi everyone:

I am headed to the boat some time today to get ready for the SF Bay Rendevous. Looking forward to putting a face on the people that I have been interneting (new word supposed to mean talking on the internet) with for the last couple of years. I have added another adult and another kid so now we have 15 adults and 5 kids confirmed. Squeaks will also be coming in addition to the people listed above.

I will bring my cell phone and have the numbers that alot of you provided to me. I'll bring the numbers with me. The admiral has changed what we are going to bring from a dessert to a green salad. My boat's name is Ohana so if you have a VHF we will monitor channel 16. It is a dark blue (looks black) hull with a tan dodger. We will also have a red and a blue kayak and wall to walll kids literally swinging from the halyards. Should be easy to spot. PM me if you want me to give you my cell phone number.

Anyone else who wants to come is welcome. We are going to be starting the coals at around 1530. Cooking around 1630. Randy is already there I believe and I will try to get there sometime around noon.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15   #99

Known Rendevous List

David M (unconfirmed) 2 adults possible 1 kid

Charlie 3 adults 5 kids

Windsaloft 2 adults

Raptor Dance 2 adults

Dr Moreau 2 adults

Randyon3 2 adults

Cat460 2 adults possible 1 kid

Squeaks 2 Adults

Total 17 adults and 5 to 7 kids

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 13-07-2008, 19:47   #100

Boat: Privilege 39
So... How did it go? I was bummed to not be able to make it, hopefully next time...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 09:24   #101

The Rendevous was a success. I'll need help from the people who were there in getting all the names right.

Cat460 Tim and Susan
Squeaks John & his better half
Randy on 3 Randy and Ramona
Dr. Moreau Aaron and Jen
Raptor Dance Bill and Mary
Jim and Jean (Valliant 40)
Charlie and Beth and their kids Marina and Keegan and Keegan's friend Quinn. B&C's friend Andrew and his son Dylan. Oh Yeah and Tucker the one eyed Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

I feel like I am missing somebody but can't place a name. If I did miss someone please don't be offended but please post your name.

We had a nice potluck with minimum organizing. Some very nice salads but the big hit were the cookies that Dr. Moreau brought Oatmeal Rasin and Double choclate chip. Everyone was having a hard time sticking to their diets for that one.

We all talked boats and boating (not a surprise) from 1530 till about 1800 when the first people started to leave. It was 2000 when the last couples left.

China Camp is a nice place to visit. There is a historical museum at the State Park, a nice beach to land on, and McNear's Beach has a nice picnic area with a swimming pool (not dogs allowed at McNears. 6' leash required at China Camp).

It would have been a perfect evening if the captain of Ohana had tied a better knot on his dink. Yes I lost my Zodiac. Sunday morning I paddled my kayak for a couple of miles but wasn't able to find it.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 14-07-2008, 15:13   #102

Boat: S/V Paseo -- A dream for now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
The Rendevous was a success. I'll need help from the people who were there in getting all the names right.

We had a nice potluck with minimum organizing. Some very nice salads but the big hit were the cookies that Dr. Moreau brought Oatmeal Rasin and Double choclate chip. Everyone was having a hard time sticking to their diets for that one.
All the thanks to Jen for the fabulous cookies, she banked them herself Friday night. I did do anything but show up on Saturday.

As for the Rendevous, I would agree it was a success. Thanks to Charlie for the organization and thanks to all who showed up, both in spirit and at China Camp. Jen and I both enjoyed ourselves talking with all of you.

https://sailing.moreau.us/
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 04:25   #103
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
OK, Charlie and David M, we're all waiting for you to tell us about the SF Rendezvouz! Who showed up, and how much fun was had?
Old 15-07-2008, 04:46   #104
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Hud, Charlie, David

These fellas have encouraged to to call for a meeting here in N.E Florida. I think it would be great to put faces with screen names, and share some time with fellow boaters. That is one thing I miss most about cruising is meeting the diversity in peoples..... locals, and cruisers...............
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 07:43   #105

Hi Hud:

For info on the SF Bay Rendevous see post # 101. It would be great if other people posted their impression of the SF Bay Rendevous as well.

I2F: Sounds like a good plan to get people together. Our simple gathering worked out well. The less organzing the better. As long as you pick a place that is nice to go to the downside rsik is very small. If no one had showed up to China Camp we would have had two nice sails, explored a nice historical State Park, Taken the kids swimming and Kayaking, and had a nice time. The way it worked out we had all that and met some very nice peole as well.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
sf bay