Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2010, 02:05   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Seven-Year Plan

I just finished reading "An Embarrassment of Mangoes." What a good book! We also had a five year plan that just morphed into a seven year plan; but our plan is a permanent escape instead of a two year escape. I think I’m going to feel like I’m in purgatory while we are paying things down until we buy the boat.

Financially, the hard part is being able to charter to keep our newly learned skills up.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 03:08   #2

Boat: boatless
Hey Maje,

That was a great book! I enjoyed Spice Necklace too, after they went back out. Not sure if I got the title right.

I had a seven year plan that turned into six (a year went by). I'm impatient. It's an indefinite cruising plan too so we have retirement funds to consider as well and it is early retirement to boot.

Antares 44 (especially the 'i') and Leopard 46 ! I love the Antares 44 even without the i, but we'd have to work much longer. Much much longer. $800,000.00 give or take - new. Around $600 K for new to me.

More like a Leopard 38 for us. Much more realistic.

And I hear you about the chartering! I should have married a stinkin rich guy.

Quote: "I think I’m going to feel like I’m in purgatory while we are paying things down until we buy the boat."

How can you buy an Antares 44i and be in debt now? Sincere question.

I need to know your secret!... We've got no debt, not even a mortgage. And we have a family income in excess of $170,000 per year. We're saving for a boat and early retirement at age 46/47. Our current net worth is $512,000 including the house but not including our pension plans. My husband will have a military pension at age 47 that we are going to(try to) live off while sailing so the rest our retirement funds can grow some more to make up for the early retirement. We're keeping the house (well that was the latest decision). We're not going to finance our boat and have six years left to come up with the money. Am I way too conservative?
NotJustDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 05:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Might not be a bad idea to buy a 20-24 footer right away. That would enable you to not just keep up your skills but move forward. Buy it right and you can always get most if not all of your money back out of it. That would be cheaper than chartering and allow you more actual hours of boating and navigation time.
Good luck.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 11:31   #4

We are planning to buy a used boat. We can't afford a new one. We are also looking at the St Francis 44 and the Manta 42. We've sailed a Leopard 38 and did not like it at all. I'll probably still work ( as long as I have an internet connection I can do it) .We'll have one military retirement and one civil service retirement which will fund us pretty well. And we'll rent our house in St Thomas out during the season.

Are you going to the boat show?

Maje
Old 24-08-2010, 11:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Might not be a bad idea to buy a 20-24 footer right away. That would enable you to not just keep up your skills but move forward. Buy it right and you can always get most if not all of your money back out of it. That would be cheaper than chartering and allow you more actual hours of boating and navigation time.
Good luck.
If I could find a 20-24' cat I might do it. But sailing a 20-24' monohull is very different than sailing a cat. Plus there is where to keep it. I live in an apartment in Stuttgart most of the year. There is no place close to sail and no place to keep the boat.

Maje
Old 24-08-2010, 12:36   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I just finished reading "An Embarrassment of Mangoes." What a good book! We also had a five year plan that just morphed into a seven year plan; but our plan is a permanent escape instead of a two year escape. I think I’m going to feel like I’m in purgatory while we are paying things down until we buy the boat.

Financially, the hard part is being able to charter to keep our newly learned skills up.

Maje
I don't know if this is good news or bad news but our 5 year plan is now on its 20th year. Good luck. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 13:44   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40
I just finished reading that book two days ago. It was really well written and I couldn't put it down (and I am not a big book reader). I ordered the Spice Necklace.

They talked about cruising guides that they had written. Anyone know anything about them?
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 23:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
I don't know if this is good news or bad news but our 5 year plan is now on its 20th year. Good luck. Chuck
Weeellll, if we start counting from the time we first planned sailing off it is over a 30 year plan. But the dream became just that for many years; lost in children and careers. I'm now 57 and my husband is 54. We have no more time for delay.

Maje
Old 24-08-2010, 23:57   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBW View Post
I just finished reading that book two days ago. It was really well written and I couldn't put it down (and I am not a big book reader). I ordered the Spice Necklace.

They talked about cruising guides that they had written. Anyone know anything about them?

I don't know about the cruising guides, but, I just ordered the Rum book and the Ocean Almanac.

Maje
Old 25-08-2010, 01:13   #10

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
We also had a five year plan that just morphed into a seven year plan

Maje
Don't feel alone Tom...I had an 8 year plan 2 years ago and I think it is still going to be an 8 year plan due to this blasted Banking fiasco causing this economy.

For us both it will be when it will be...You sound like me and want things paid for and kept as assets...not sell all and go now... that's the tough part as nothing is guaranteed and i do see the validity in not waiting to long so that health become a factor.

Decisions we all have to make as individuals...no one else's plan will be tailored to you liking...stick to it tell you decide differently...life troughs us a curve ball every now and then and plans go down the drain.

If my family were to say all be killed tomorrow..I would have no reason to continue on in the direction Im going...dreams shattered... and I would probably after the grieving was over sell all and blow out of here...but they are as much my dream as sailing is so this is the hand for me to play with these cards I have chosen to keep.....And if I were to die the day before Our planed sail date...Id have no regreet for not going sooner...as I am doing what I should be doing right now....Life is good...live it contently everyday...dreams are the spice of life for sure but no reason for despair for not reaching all of them.

Good luck and chin up...we only can do what we can do...all in good time...robbing banks isnt the answer either..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 05:57   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Weeellll, if we start counting from the time we first planned sailing off it is over a 30 year plan. But the dream became just that for many years; lost in children and careers. I'm now 57 and my husband is 54. We have no more time for delay.

Maje
Don't even want to think about the years of the planning stages. Our five year plan began the day we untied the dock lines and headed south. Its like the bunny, it just keeps going and going. I guess that is a good thing.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 03:10   #12

We have added two more possible boats to the list. One is a Manta Mark IV and the other is an Admiral. Does anyone have any information on either of those boats?

Maje
Old 19-09-2010, 03:11   #13

I found Pam Walls blog and it has lots of information on cruising.
Old 19-09-2010, 04:00   #14

I bought a reasonably good cruising boat and started cruising a few weeks later. It really no big deal:

Get some food. Point the bow somewhere. Go. Deal with the details along the way.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 05:03   #15

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
We have added two more possible boats to the list. One is a Manta Mark IV and the other is an Admiral. Does anyone have any information on either of those boats?

Maje
Do you mean those model boats in general, or the specific boats themselves? If the former, there are threads on this forum regarding those boats.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote