Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 06:45   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Actually, I'm looking for comparisons amoung the Manta 42, Admiral 40, Mavererick 40 and the Antares 44.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 08:57   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Wow, that's quite a range and almost apples and oranges for some of them.

The Manta is the smallest of the four. There were some quality issues with the last couple of boats produced before the company went under. Before that, quality was excellent.

The Admiral has a history of quality problems - search the net.

The Antares is a much more expensive boat - probably double the cost of the others. Its manufacture is in new hands and I don't think a lot of them have been built yet, so it might be difficult getting info. The older PDQ Antares were nice boats and high quality.

I don't know anything about the Maverick.

The person who has first hand experiences with all four of these will be a rare bird indeed.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 09:07   #18

I have been researching this forum and the multi-hull forum. My absolute favorite is the Antares. If I can find one at our price point when we are ready to buy I'll do it. My second favorite is the St Francis 44 after that it is the Manta. I've read about the Manta's problems. There is a guy on this forum that has a company to service them. I'm trying not to limit myself too much. I've already decided against a slew of other boats. I have heard very bad things about Admiral's after puchase service. The Maverick 40 came out last year. So far I've not heard any complaints. Another boat that may interest me is the African Cat 40. I need a good bluewater boat that has lots of storage and a galley that one can actually cook in. I'm a little concerned about the bridge deck clearance on the SZ built boats. But that would limit me to the Antares and the Manta.

Maje
Old 19-09-2010, 09:08   #19

I didn't notice your boat before. How do you like your Manta?

Maje
Old 19-09-2010, 10:18   #20

Boat: L42
If your worried about bridge deck clearance the Manta is pretty low, but it is rounded and that helps.

I would be very careful about the African fast cats, their are very few out there. Do a Google search on them before you go very far.

The Maverick seems to be a very well built choice, but as you have found they are new, and I doubt you will find a used one anywhere.

Your budget will really help you narrow down the search. I really like the Antares for the most part, if you can find a good used one in your price range. The one thing about them I don't like is the engine access under the floor in each hull. Great for weight distribution, but not for servicing the engine. especially the one under the kitchen floor

Good Luck.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 10:30   #21

I finally was able to view a Manta 42. I did like it and it has enought headroom for Tom, who has not seen one yet. I'm now down to three boats, the Antares, St Francis 44 and the Manta 42. At least I now know that one of my choices will be affordable when we buy. I really wish we could go sooner than five years but the government has screwed us on that.

I was able to take two of the Cruising World seminars at the boat show. They were well worth it. I've also discovered the SSSA webanairs which are pretty inexpensive. I also found a really cool non-electronic autopilot.

Someone else asked about cruising guides. Is it worth it to buy now or wait until we are closer to our sailing date?

Maje
Old 13-10-2010, 11:06   #22

Maje, to use guides for real information, buy them just before you leave. But for daydreaming purposes buy some used ones.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 11:29   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
Someone else asked about cruising guides. Is it worth it to buy now or wait until we are closer to our sailing date?

Maje
Don't buy them now they will be obsolete.

For now there is plenty of information on the net and in the library.

the bays stay the same, just the important stuff changes.. the morings, clearing in etc, markets, food etc...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 13:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Maje, to use guides for real information, buy them just before you leave. But for daydreaming purposes buy some used ones.
Hannah,

I daydream enough as it is. If I can get my husband to retire before five years I'll do it. It looks as if I've found a buyer for my business in the five year time frame.

Maje
Old 13-10-2010, 13:33   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Don't buy them now they will be obsolete.

For now there is plenty of information on the net and in the library.

the bays stay the same, just the important stuff changes.. the morings, clearing in etc, markets, food etc...
That's what I was afraid of. I just stick to the Sailing and Cruising World articles and sigh over boats.

Maje