Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 09:04   #76

Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
To get Commodore status you must meet certain requirements including having sailed for so long, lived aboard for so long, and having X number of miles offshore, etc. Can't remember the details, and I believe they have changed since I became one. It sounds like a snooty title, but when the organization was founded they were deliberately creating an organization for long-distance sailors that didn't fit in with the typical organized yacht club crowd of the time in blue blazers, etc. The term "Commodore" was therefore tongue-in-cheek, and an inside joke. The original club was very salty and saw themselves as a "disorganization," very different from other clubs. Being a Commodore was an inside joke to them.
Basically you have to be voted in....in other words if just one person says NO, then you don't get to be a commodore.
Someone Please correct me if I am wrong.
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 09:18   #77

Lets say that I join tomorrow and pay the 55 bucks.
Lets say I have never had a boat, until now.
Lets say I participate in the next 17 webinars between now and April 17.

How much did all of this cost me?

Lets be honest here...With the personality I have, I could sail RTW thru 3 hurricanes and survive a pirate attack, but because I PO'd ONE person who is a commodore, I could never be a commodore because they would vote against me? Sounds like an associate membership is like prospecting for a biker club. Except the Hells Angels (TM) or the Outlaws(TM) don't require you to pay a membership until you are actually passed the point of having voting privelidges.
How much could I save on my insurance compared to how much I spent on webinars?
Old 25-02-2013, 10:40   #78

Boat: Cape Dory 27

I was out cruising full time, single handed, for about 9 years. I joined SSCA before I headed out, mostly for the bulletins. I enjoyed the gams in Maine the first two years but then found I was getting nothing out of the membership and wasn't really a joiner. That kind of explains the single handed aspect. To each his own.
midnightmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2013, 10:53   #79
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, midnightmail.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:26   #80

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

John had the requirements correct. The specifics to become a Commodore are:

• Membership
    The applicant(s) must have been an Associate member of the SSCA for a minimum of one year and cruised aboard a seagoing vessel for at least 12 consecutive months at some time prior to making this application. An applicant who fulfilled the requirements in the past but is no longer actively cruising may apply directly for Rear Commodore status after a year of Associate membership.
  • Distance
    One of the following cruising distance requirements must be met:
    1. 1,000 mile ocean passage nonstop, or
    2. 1,500 mile offshore passage with not more than one stop, or
    3. 2,000 mile coastal passage with unlimited stops (one stop must be at least 1,000 miles from the starting point, excluding waterways, lakes, rivers and canals).

Lots of folks use the 2,000 mile approach, stitching together coastal passages like the New England to Bahamas migration or US West Coast cruising. We certainly recognize ocean crossings and circumnavigations (we have certificates of recognition) but crossing an ocean isn't a requirement to become a Commodore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Basically you have to be voted in....in other words if just one person says NO, then you don't get to be a commodore.
Someone Please correct me if I am wrong.
It isn't quite like that. Prospective Commodores are sponsored by two current Commodores. The applicant writes a very short note of self-introduction which gets published in our Bulletin. Their name(s) are published in the following three Bulletins after which they become Commodores. There is no vote.

The purpose of the publication is in case some other Commodore explicitly objects on the basis of the candidate not being a suitable Commodore, presumably on the basis of not having left a clean wake. If there is an objection the candidate has the opportunity to defend him- or herself. The Board of Directors makes a decision of suitability.

I don't know how often, if ever, it happens. I know it hasn't happened in recent years. We're a pretty non-judgmental bunch.

Quote:
Lets say I have never had a boat, until now.

How much could I save on my insurance compared to how much I spent on webinars?
It depends on the webinars you choose. You don't have to take any at all. The point is that the information is available, presented by credible folks. You can see some of the presentations at boat shows and other venues but you'll pay more and you'll have to drag yourself to wherever the presentation is. Presumably if you are signing up for a webinar it's because you're interested in the material and want to learn.

I think the insurance discount from IMIS is 10%. At least in my case that more than covers my annual dues, ignoring the other benefits and discounts I get.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA President
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 05:34   #81

Oh, and thanks again to Cruiser's Forum for providing the venue for this discussion. The opportunity is appreciated by SSCA. I hope it has value to CF readers.

dave
Old 26-02-2013, 06:28   #82
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
John had the requirements correct. The specifics to become a Commodore are:

• Membership
    The applicant(s) must have been an Associate member of the SSCA for a minimum of one year and cruised aboard a seagoing vessel for at least 12 consecutive months at some time prior to making this application. An applicant who fulfilled the requirements in the past but is no longer actively cruising may apply directly for Rear Commodore status after a year of Associate membership.
  • Distance
    One of the following cruising distance requirements must be met:
    1. 1,000 mile ocean passage nonstop, or
    2. 1,500 mile offshore passage with not more than one stop, or
    3. 2,000 mile coastal passage with unlimited stops (one stop must be at least 1,000 miles from the starting point, excluding waterways, lakes, rivers and canals).

Lots of folks use the 2,000 mile approach, stitching together coastal passages like the New England to Bahamas migration or US West Coast cruising. We certainly recognize ocean crossings and circumnavigations (we have certificates of recognition) but crossing an ocean isn't a requirement to become a Commodore.

It isn't quite like that. Prospective Commodores are sponsored by two current Commodores. The applicant writes a very short note of self-introduction which gets published in our Bulletin. Their name(s) are published in the following three Bulletins after which they become Commodores. There is no vote.

The purpose of the publication is in case some other Commodore explicitly objects on the basis of the candidate not being a suitable Commodore, presumably on the basis of not having left a clean wake. If there is an objection the candidate has the opportunity to defend him- or herself. The Board of Directors makes a decision of suitability.

I don't know how often, if ever, it happens. I know it hasn't happened in recent years. We're a pretty non-judgmental bunch.

It depends on the webinars you choose. You don't have to take any at all. The point is that the information is available, presented by credible folks. You can see some of the presentations at boat shows and other venues but you'll pay more and you'll have to drag yourself to wherever the presentation is. Presumably if you are signing up for a webinar it's because you're interested in the material and want to learn.

I think the insurance discount from IMIS is 10%. At least in my case that more than covers my annual dues, ignoring the other benefits and discounts I get.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA President
Dave,
There in lies the problem in some cruising areas. I left Virginia 15 months ago for warmer climates. In our first season in the Caribbean we met several SSCA members, but no Commodores. Now we are cruising Atlantic Europe and Africa. I have yet to see a burgee since leaving St Martin last May! Makes it hard to get sponsored. We did get a 20% discount on a monthly rate at one marina that more than paid for our membership. Maybe after we make our westbound crossing we will have better luck finding some Commodores and be able to get that insurance discount.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:03   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
Dave,
There in lies the problem in some cruising areas. I left Virginia 15 months ago for warmer climates. In our first season in the Caribbean we met several SSCA members, but no Commodores. Now we are cruising Atlantic Europe and Africa. I have yet to see a burgee since leaving St Martin last May! Makes it hard to get sponsored. We did get a 20% discount on a monthly rate at one marina that more than paid for our membership. Maybe after we make our westbound crossing we will have better luck finding some Commodores and be able to get that insurance discount.
Bummer. We can take an application with one sponsor in "remote areas" at the Board's discretion. Can you send me a note with where you are? We'll try to find someone near you. We're also making more noise about flying burgees, especially among Commodores, to make it easier to find each other. In my personal opinion there is no excuse for a Commodore not to be flying a burgee.

It's going to take a bit, but we are also updating the Member Locator on our website to interface with Winlink, Yotreps, SPOT, AIS, ShipTrak, and APRS so it will be easier to see who is in your "neighborhood."

Commodores should really only sponsor people they know and preferably sail with since they are speaking for the candidate. Do you travel back to Virginia? You're welcome aboard Auspicious. We can go for a sail (I sail year round out of Annapolis, unless I'm off on a mini-cruise) and get to know each other so I can sponsor you. There are Commodores across the creek from me that don't like cold much but can probably be convinced to come along. Boom! Two sponsors. *grin*

If not, we'll find someone for you.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:40   #84

Quote:

Lets be honest here...
Quote:
It depends on the webinars you choose.
I think I was pretty clear about it being the next SEVENTEEN between now and April 17. The next SEVENTEEN are ALL of them that are available between now and April 17.
Old 26-02-2013, 10:54   #85

Quote:
Lets be honest here...With the personality I have, I could sail RTW thru 3 hurricanes and survive a pirate attack, but because I PO'd ONE person who is a commodore, I could never be a commodore because they would vote against me? Sounds like an associate membership is like prospecting for a biker club.
Quote:

Sure, it isn't quite like a biker club, if only one person says you aren't suitable you cannot be a commodore and have the priveledges of a full member.
Let's see if I have this right, TWO members say I am good, but one says I am not. The one outweighs the two? What if I were to get 2 more to sponsor me and go thru all of that again. The one person I PO'd who has a grudge says no (again) and I still don't get in?

It is just like prospecting a biker club. If just one person objects, then you don't get patched in. Or in this case burgeed. Well, in a way it isn't like a biker club...I don't think a "commodore" will beat the crap out of ya. LOL!
Old 26-02-2013, 14:47   #86

Quote:
I think I was pretty clear about it being the next SEVENTEEN between now and April 17. The next SEVENTEEN are ALL of them that are available between now and April 17.
Pardon me. I thought it was a rhetorical question. My point is that you aren't required to take them. If you're interested you sign up, just like taking a course at a community college, subscribing to a magazine, buying a book, or taking a USPS or USCGAux course.

Some SSU webinars are free. Most run $25 or 30 for SSCA members. Call it somewhere between $400 and $500US to answer your specific question. I'm not at all sure what your point is.

Quote:
Sure, it isn't quite like a biker club, if only one person says you aren't suitable you cannot be a commodore and have the priveledges of a full member.
Let's see if I have this right, TWO members say I am good, but one says I am not. The one outweighs the two?
That isn't what I said at all. Please go back and read it again.

If someone lodges an objection against you (again, I have NEVER heard of this happening) we ask YOU for your side and make a decision.

If you've really irritated someone (and you are making me a bit testy) who says "this butthead shouldn't be a Commodore" and you respond to a question by saying "we have a personality conflict" then I can assure you that the objection wouldn't be considered credible. In actuality an objection that obviously superficial would not in all likelihood even get as far as a query to you.

On the other hand if someone had pictures of you dumping used engine oil in the water (the environmental sort of clean wake) or documented you blowing out of some island nation leaving bills unpaid (the impact on cruisers following behind you sort of clean wake) we obviously wouldn't want you as a Commodore would we?

Quote:
It is just like prospecting a biker club. If just one person objects, then you don't get patched in. Or in this case burgeed. Well, in a way it isn't like a biker club...I don't think a "commodore" will beat the crap out of ya. LOL!
You'd be surprised how many of us grew up with motorcycles. Have you noticed the resemblance between a winch handle and a lug wrench?

dave
Old 26-02-2013, 15:57   #87
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:

I somehow missed one. RYA has been a great organization. I was a member when I lived in the UK. I really like the extent of educational opportunities but as you say the things that bring revenue seem to dominate.

We think our webinar approach that covers costs and points some beer money to the instructor is a good one.

Not all the presenters are members. If you have credible expertise in a relevant topic we'd be happy to hear from you. Sue Torgersen leads that for us but for CF I'll volunteer (that word again) to help any CF member through the process of presenting their first couple of webinars. You really need Powerpoint (MS $) or the Open Office equivalent (free) but if you have something really spiffy I'll even help you build charts.

For attendees you just need an Internet connection and a browser. If you can read CF you can participate in SSU. There are apps for mobile devices that don't support Flash.
Just to be clear just exactly what " revenue" does the RYA get. Its doesnt get the course fee, that goes to the school. It gets a small fee for providing. The instructor materials, exam papers and the like.

So where the " commercial" justification

Dave
Old 26-02-2013, 17:12   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just to be clear just exactly what " revenue" does the RYA get. Its doesnt get the course fee, that goes to the school. It gets a small fee for providing. The instructor materials, exam papers and the like.

So where the " commercial" justification
I don't think I said commercial. I was just an RYA member so I'm only going on somewhat dated perception, my own and that of the sailing club I hung out with. I could well be wrong. I probably shouldn't have said anything about another organization.

I did really enjoy the benefits of RYA when I lived in the UK and thought it was good value for money. Of course I had more money then. *grin*

Other than the educational offerings I'm not sure it's a good comparison to SSCA ...
Old 26-02-2013, 22:18   #89

Thanx Dave for the answers. I really did not intend to get you feeling testy, I was just looking for answers.
The answer that I really do appreciate was the one about an objection to commodore status. That cleared it up for me.

Thanx again.
Old 27-02-2013, 02:13   #90

Boat: Cabo Rico
Kind of amazing how some can argue with a sailing group with 10,000 members that costs $55 a year. SSCA doesn't claim to represent all sailors, or be all things good in the sailing world. It's just an organization.... And the members sail. They certainly aren't the bad guys. Geez.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote