Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

Also have never been a member... and never will..
Info these days is just a click away on just about every subject needed... Noonsite & CF to name a couple..
Got better things to do with my dosh than encourage some guys aspirations to Commodore of something or the other.. just coz he's maybe had a couple of 'Glory Days' sometime in his past..
Miserable booga me...? huh...!!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:23   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

We have been members and even Commodores for years but let the membership expire when it started to feel too bureaucratic.

Still, I think it's a good resource for starting cruisers. Their forum is good too.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:51   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

I am a past member, no complaints, just didn't use them.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:08   #19

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Was a member for awhile around the turn of the century. Not a bad outfit for beginners but did not find much in common with those folks. Like others here, I am not into the group thing.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 14:33   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Golly. Appreciate the thread and the input. I'll ramble on tomorrow (or maybe the next day *grin*). Regardless, like other CFers I'm here. Like everyone at SSCA we listen. We're volunteers working to support cruising members and cruisers in general.

Catching up with all the posts is going to take me a bit as I cope with a tango-uniform battery charger.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
SSCA President & bottle washer
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:08   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We were members for many years but the organization is in my opinion a dinosaur and really has little to offer to others except for maybe the new cruisers. Any information SSCA offers as a cost of membership is easily available for free on line. The "Bulletin" which was valuable in the day, is outdated, usually old news and once again, information available from many free sources. A good blog list of long distance cruisers will proved all of the information and current information found in the SSCA bulletin at the touch of your mouse without a membership fee. The Commodore hierarchy is antiquated and provides little to the membership. Over the years the SSCA seems to be a ship without a rudder and can't decide what it wants to be. Now this is just my opinion and many may find some value in being a member. But if anyone looks at what SSCA offers compared to what is available without the membership fees in the public domain and the costs become questionable. If your preference is to be part of a social group for a fee than it is probably worth it. But we find many social groups in our cruising areas that only require a shared dish and bring your own bottle to attend. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 18:15   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are on the Great Lakes; joined SSCA two years ago; flown the flag everywhere and never had anyone say hi. Perhaps it will be more useful blue water.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:49   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

To become a "commodore" you have to meet distance requirements, be sponsored by two members, SUBMIT A PHOTO, submit a letter of introduction, purchase a burgee, be a member for more than a year, and have your name published in four succesive bulletins without anyone blackmailing you.

No thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 20:13   #24

A German circumnavigator told me it was a way to monetize and market information to new cruisers. I am a member and went to a gam. Most of the presentations were ticklers for books, CDs, services by older cruisers attempting to monetize their cruising. Look at the relationship with Active Captain or any of the cruising authors who present there. Nuf said.
PS. Burgee didn't do squat for me either.
But the wife does like it.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:32   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

How does SSCA differ from CF in the information they provide?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 20:47   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I'm a bit surprised at how negative some of the comments are over something that costs only $55 year ( or $.15 a day). I pay some fee here on CF and to many other organization with similar fee arrangements. I'm hard pressed to say any are really "worth" it, whatever that means. I understand you pick and chose what you want to join but to be so adamant that it's not worth the small fee seems silly. Maybe there is something behind all the bashing that I'm missing.
Old 07-02-2013, 20:51   #27

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Also have never been a member... and never will..
Info these days is just a click away on just about every subject needed... Noonsite & CF to name a couple..
Got better things to do with my dosh than encourage some guys aspirations to Commodore of something or the other.. just coz he's maybe had a couple of 'Glory Days' sometime in his past..
Miserable booga me...? huh...!!
You obviously do not know much about the SSCA. They have provided a multitude of services to cruising sailors including helping with the development of RMS Express which will eventually make expensive Pactor modems un-necessary. I have been a member for many years and will continue to support them . I have few posts here because i am over there. I will admit, however, that this forum seems more active. I think SSCA needs to revamp the site.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:00   #28

Boat: Cape Dory

I listen to each side of the arguments for and against joining SSCA and it seems like a light (and comparatively inconsequential) version of the rally / no rally debate. To me, there seems to be plenty of room for different folks / strokes and I don't know how or why this became contentious. I am fine with not being a joiner (me too Mark) but does joining a volunteer organization really change the character of your voyaging so much that you lose your identity to Pardey or Starzinger or Boatman???

OTOH, the one aspect of the SSCA that really appeals to me (other than the annual Annapolis GAM which just sounds like fun) is the volunteer opportunities. I might not want to join a cruisers' AAA, but I sure would be happy to take a call from a cruiser who was passing through my home town. I've spent a good chunk of my life receiving random assistance from strangers -- and it is always nice to have the opportunity to do the same.

I am so tempted to go all Rodney King here . . . but I won't
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:10   #29

Was a member, left.

I'm 34 with young kids. The ssca seems to be 95% old white retired people with deep pockets who's primary interest in life is boats.

Nothing wrong with that, but that's not me. The whole "commodore " approach to things and dilapidated technology is emblematic of the demographics.

Between cruisersforum, noonsite, a radio, and the ability to talk to local people I think I'm okay for now.

Just way too much of a good ol' boys social club, for me.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 21:23   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Was a member, left.

I'm 34 with young kids. The ssca seems to be 95% old white retired people with deep pockets who's primary interest in life is boats.

Nothing wrong with that, but that's not me. The whole "commodore " approach to things and dilapidated technology is emblematic of the demographics.

Between cruisersforum, noonsite, a radio, and the ability to talk to local people I think I'm okay for now.

Just way too much of a good ol' boys social club, for me.
Rebel,

How do you know these things? Hersey, word of mouth, personal experience as an x-member? I'm not saying you're wrong. I've only just looked at the website and I just have no other source of info. On the surface it looks good but there's a lot of negative comments and I'm just wondering the sources.