Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 00:43   #31

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

Never mind Rebel I see you are an x-member. Being one of those old white retired guys (some how missed getting the deep pockets) my reading skills are slipping.
Old 08-02-2013, 00:56   #32
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I was a member for years & I think there some good points for being onn- the equipment survey is the very best source around to find out what’s really good or not, much better than Practical Sailor, because there’s 8000+ active sailors making the review- you really know what works onboard & what does not- this alone is well worth the membership dues of $50 a year
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:07   #33

Boat: Cabo Rico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
. I understand you pick and chose what you want to join but to be so adamant that it's not worth the small fee seems silly. Maybe there is something behind all the bashing that I'm missing.
I think it's similar to the response if you ask people to give to the United Way, Red Cross, March of Dimes etc. they'll find some way to rationalize not giving; then they don't have to "think" or give. They'll say "the CEO earns too much," "there's too much over head, so I'll just give money to a needy person directly" and anything else they can grab hold of to avoid the guilt. They know when an idea is good -- when it's one of their own.

I don't use the services of SSCA that much, but to me it's nice to have an organization that is addressing the issues that cruisers want addressed. And having the infrastructure for addressing problems and lobbying on our behalf is a noble

It's $55 - geez, I blow that on a bottle of Don Julio periodically.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:37   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Seven Seas Cruising Association -SSCA

Quote:
I'm a bit surprised at how negative some of the comments are over something that costs only $55 year ( or $.15 a day). I pay some fee here on CF and to many other organization with similar fee arrangements. I'm hard pressed to say any are really "worth" it, whatever that means. I understand you pick and chose what you want to join but to be so adamant that it's not worth the small fee seems silly. Maybe there is something behind all the bashing that I'm missing.
I'm opposed to paying for ANY Social entertainment.. that includes disco's etc.. not just your mob...
Further on in the thread you ramble on about modems etc... well HOO_RAY.... big deal.. some folk need these baby walkers to cruise down the coast or across to the Bahama's but I never have...
My experience of these organisations and the folk who often belong to them is a sense of superiority and an obbsession with telling folk they're not good enough for this or that voyage unless...
Good luck with your choice... I'm genuinely glad your happy and have found something that suits your needs... but thats just YOU...
They have nothing to offer me... bar the normal courtesies boats and thier owners offer to one another..
I'm NOT a natural team player....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:27   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I'm opposed to paying for ANY Social entertainment.. that includes disco's etc.. not just your mob...
Further on in the thread you ramble on about modems etc... well HOO_RAY.... big deal.. some folk need these baby walkers to cruise down the coast or across to the Bahama's but I never have...
My experience of these organisations and the folk who often belong to them is a sense of superiority and an obbsession with telling folk they're not good enough for this or that voyage unless...
Good luck with your choice... I'm genuinely glad your happy and have found something that suits your needs... but thats just YOU...
They have nothing to offer me... bar the normal courtesies boats and thier owners offer to one another..
I'm NOT a natural team player....
Modems?? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else's post Boatman ... check your notes.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:03   #36

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Was a member, left.

I'm 34 with young kids. The ssca seems to be 95% old white retired people with deep pockets who's primary interest in life is boats.

Nothing wrong with that, but that's not me. The whole "commodore " approach to things and dilapidated technology is emblematic of the demographics.

Between cruisersforum, noonsite, a radio, and the ability to talk to local people I think I'm okay for now.

Just way too much of a good ol' boys social club, for me.
Just in my marina alone we have 2 members. Us and a younger(late 20s) couple on a Downeast 32. They certainly do not fit this stereotype. My wife and I are not poor but we are not old either. We will be cruising full time in a year or two but once we burn through the cruising kitty will be back to work on shore again. Also have friends who are members that did the 1 year cruise and are back to work.

As for the burgee, last summer we were hailed by a passing boat because they saw our burgee. We had a nice discussion via radio and then met up later in a common anchorage. Never would have happened without the burgee.

Living in a marina that sees lots of transients, I try to introduce myself to some of the boats that arrive with SSCA burgees(and also some without). Some are older, white and affluent but not all.

As for volunteering, I just signed up to be the cruising coordinator for Portland, Maine. I have been helping transients through the local marina and formerly through our yacht club. Why stop now. If anyone SSCA or not needs a car in Portland or a recommendation or even help working on their boat, just let me know.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:08   #37

Quote:

Rebel,

How do you know these things? Hersey, word of mouth, personal experience as an x-member? I'm not saying you're wrong. I've only just looked at the website and I just have no other source of info. On the surface it looks good but there's a lot of negative comments and I'm just wondering the sources.
I was a member for a year, read the bulletins, and was on the (old) forum.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post

Just in my marina alone we have 2 members. Us and a younger(late 20s) couple on a Downeast 32. They certainly do not fit this stereotype. My wife and I are not poor but we are not old either. We will be cruising full time in a year or two but once we burn through the cruising kitty will be back to work on shore again. Also have friends who are members that did the 1 year cruise and are back to work.

As for the burgee, last summer we were hailed by a passing boat because they saw our burgee. We had a nice discussion via radio and then met up later in a common anchorage. Never would have happened without the burgee.

Living in a marina that sees lots of transients, I try to introduce myself to some of the boats that arrive with SSCA burgees(and also some without). Some are older, white and affluent but not all.

As for volunteering, I just signed up to be the cruising coordinator for Portland, Maine. I have been helping transients through the local marina and formerly through our yacht club. Why stop now. If anyone SSCA or not needs a car in Portland or a recommendation or even help working on their boat, just let me know.
Fair enough. I'm not arguing that the ssca is evil. The thread asked for experiences and opinions. I was a member, I'm arguably a genuine "cruiser" these days, and I formed an opinion based on my experiences.

If you could reshape the ssca into what it really should look like, given the realities of modern times, it would look and act a lot different. No one would create an ssca the way the current one functions. Weak in technology, weak in information architecture, strong in irrelevant commodores.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:23   #39

Quote:
Fair enough. I'm not arguing that the ssca is evil. The thread asked for experiences and opinions. I was a member, I'm arguably a genuine "cruiser" these days, and I formed an opinion based on my experiences.

If you could reshape the ssca into what it really should look like, given the realities of modern times, it would look and act a lot different. No one would create an ssca the way the current one functions. Weak in technology, weak in information architecture, strong in irrelevant commodores.
No worries rebel. Hopoefully it will see some more "young" blood to help it gain that technology component kids today seem to be dependent on.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Modems?? I think you've got me mixed up with someone else's post Boatman ... check your notes.

Pactor modems... RMS Epress etc..... about 12 posts back...
Double dutch to me but seems some one needs it..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post

No worries rebel. Hopoefully it will see some more "young" blood to help it gain that technology component kids today seem to be dependent on.
Noonsite and cruisersforum aren't run by spring chickens, nor are the readers or contributors a bunch of kids. I'm not talking about facebook or angry birds, this technology that plenty of non-kids use.

It's a bit telling of the sailing demographic when a mid 30s veteran father of two is a "kid".
Old 08-02-2013, 05:43   #42

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I have never joined. Everybody seems to be a "commodore". A bit much for me. Was anchored in Miami once and a "commodore" or "commodore wannabe" was dinking around trying to drum up memberships. I got the impression that it was like a pyramid scheme. I think he said that if he got x amount of members he'd get to "commodore" status.

Then there was the kefuffle about office staff and who was in charge a little while ago. I don't think all members have a vote, etc. etc. Internal politics. With the advent of the internet most information is readily available. And besides, they probably wouldn't have me as a member.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:52   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Pactor modems... RMS Epress etc..... about 12 posts back...
Double dutch to me but seems some one needs it..
Again ... not me! It's gordwedman's post.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1151075
Old 08-02-2013, 05:54   #44

Quote:
Noonsite and cruisersforum aren't run by spring chickens, nor are the readers or contributors a bunch of kids. I'm not talking about facebook or angry birds, this technology that plenty of non-kids use.

It's a bit telling of the sailing demographic when a mid 30s veteran father of two is a "kid".
Rebel, was not inferring that you are a kid. As for being a veteran, my wife and I sincerely thank you for your service.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Your 10 years younger than my son.... KID..