Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 17:01   #1

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
"Seaquel" Nordic 40 Aground in Kona

This has been news here on the Big Island for awhile and I noticed that CF hadn't had it posted so thought if there was anyone who knew these folks they'd like to know.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

The news folks were more concerned about reef damage than for the safety and well being of the sailors. It was also mentioned that their GPS recommended a course through a point of land and that's why the boat went aground. Some lessons to learn if that truly was the case.
Old 04-06-2014, 17:21   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: "Seaquel" Nordic 40 Aground in Kona

Eyeballs are for navigation. Electronic charts can be soooo good, but some also have errors, some errors very large.

Before electronic chartplotting, people used to give the hard bits a wide berth. Now, people cut corners, go too close, trust the electronics so much *stuff* gets hurt. What a shame.

A.
Old 04-06-2014, 17:33   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Their I-pad got messages demanding facebook and i-cloud and so they hit the rocks.
Oh Man.
Will the last person here who said we could go anywhere on phones and ipads please stand up?
"Then we heard the breakers"
Oh Man.....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 18:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Eyeballs are for navigation.
But in this case the captain was blind so no option but to rely on electronics.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 19:32   #5

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

His crew had sight. He was correct in his assessment. When it got confusing they should have headed for deep water. They got focused on the electronics and lost situational awareness
Old 04-06-2014, 21:02   #6

That's ridiculous. Just proves that I was right all along, Ipads are crap. I can't imagine how that guy feels destroying his yacht while fighting with his Ipad to get some popup crap off of the screen!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 21:43   #7

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I'm sure he feels even worse about not taking a left turn and heading for deep water.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 22:19   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That's ridiculous. Just proves that I was right all along, Ipads are crap. I can't imagine how that guy feels destroying his yacht while fighting with his Ipad to get some popup crap off of the screen!

Wrong. Ipads work great if one has the correct ipad for the job and a backup ipad, gps chartplotter or pc. One needs the model with a built in gps antenna (the most expensive model) and one needs to leave it on airplane mode or with wifi and cellular turned off while navigating using INavx... which is a fantastic app along with Nobeltec. Then this sort of situation can't happen.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:20   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Wrong. Ipads work great if one has the correct ipad for the job and a backup ipad, gps chartplotter or pc. One needs the model with a built in gps antenna (the most expensive model) and one needs to leave it on airplane mode or with wifi and cellular turned off while navigating using INavx... which is a fantastic app along with Nobeltec. Then this sort of situation can't happen.
At the risk of getting into an argument with someone who has a much nicer boat than I: to depend on any one form of navigation, in this day when we have so many options, is not wise. I would feel the same way if he had only used a sextant and reduction tables.
If your going to spend gobs of cash on a cruiser, why not have a few navigation toys?
I have five different ways aboard Beth to navigate home with. When one fails, as it some times does, we switch immediately to backup. Doesn't everyone?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:34   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
At the risk of getting into an argument with someone who has a much nicer boat than I: to depend on any one form of navigation, in this day when we have so many options, is not wise. I would feel the same way if he had only used a sextant and reduction tables.
If your going to spend gobs of cash on a cruiser, why not have a few navigation toys?
I have five different ways aboard Beth to navigate home with. When one fails, as it some times does, we switch immediately to backup. Doesn't everyone?
We use two ipads both with Nobeltec and INavx apps, a garmin gps dedicated for AIS, a PC with Nobeltec TimeZero and we have paper charts for everywhere we intend to go and know how to use them. My wife enjoys plotting our course hourly. We also use a Furuno 32 mile radar.

Maybe if the fellow in Hawaii had a similar set up... he'still have a boat. I reallly don't see where we disagree?

Ken
Old 05-06-2014, 10:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

That's a lot of "ifs" and conditions.

He probably would have been better off with a chartplotter or good old paper charts.

If I were building an application that was as important as say, navigation, for example, I'd be sure to design it so that no other application could cover the screen with a popup, or warning, or some other nonsense while something important, like oh, let's say "navigation" was going on.

I have all Android devices, and I don't ever recall something popping up over my screen when I was using any map or navigation app.

Anyway, my condolences to the skipper for the loss of his yacht. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:39   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate
Eyeballs are for navigation.

Man, I bet most people never saw that coming.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:45   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
That's a lot of "ifs" and conditions.

He probably would have been better off with a chartplotter or good old paper charts.

If I were building an application that was as important as say, navigation, for example, I'd be sure to design it so that no other application could cover the screen with a popup, or warning, or some other nonsense while something important, like oh, let's say "navigation" was going on.

I have all Android devices, and I don't ever recall something popping up over my screen when I was using any map or navigation app.

Anyway, my condolences to the skipper for the loss of his yacht. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Have you ever actually used an ipad for navigation or either of the apps we use? Or do you just get a rush out of being critical of things you know nothing about.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:50   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
This has been news here on the Big Island for awhile and I noticed that CF hadn't had it posted so thought if there was anyone who knew these folks they'd like to know.

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude

The news folks were more concerned about reef damage than for the safety and well being of the sailors. It was also mentioned that their GPS recommended a course through a point of land and that's why the boat went aground. Some lessons to learn if that truly was the case.
posted two weeks ago
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ks-126893.html
Old 05-06-2014, 17:21   #15

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Sorry I missed it the first go round. It appears no one here on CF knew him or met with him in his travels. I feel sorry for his loss. I feel sorry for his boat and I think the local DLNR-Boating folks and news folks are really calous about being more concerned about damage to coral.

Tags
nordic