Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Save the Anchorage In Washington, DC

SAVE THE ANCHORAGE IN WASHINGTON DC
Changes are being proposed to Washington DC’s waterfront which will severely restrict anchoring in the Washington Channel. The Washington Channel has long been an educational stop for cruisers wanting to visit our nation’s capital and visit the scores of free museums in the city. There are routinely a dozen boats anchored in the channel and the numbers are increasing as a result of the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge which permits vessels with vertical clearances of 75’ to transit without any bridge openings.
Local developers and the District of Columbia officials are pressing Congress and the Army Corps of Engineers to permit the extension of piers by 200 feet into the channel. They are also pressing for fixed fore and aft moorings with spacing of 30 feet. These changes essentially eliminate any anchoring in the protected upper reaches of Washington Channel.
Three steps are required before DC can take this beautiful anchorage from the cruising community. First the Army Corps of Engineers must approve the DC proposal. Currently the Army Corps of Engineers has posted Public Notice PN 11-50 and has solicited public comments before July 15th. Second the District of Columbia must receive public comments in a Zoning hearing on the 17th of July. Last, Congress must turn the federal waters over to the District of Columbia for District use. Two Congressional Bills have been introduced to allow this transfer of the Washington Channel. Either House Bill HR 723 or House Bill HR 2297 will allow the transfer the federal channel to DC.
If you want to retain the Washington Channel anchorage for cruising, we suggest you forward your comments to the US Army Corps of Engineers Baltimore office. If you are local to DC, attend the rezoning hearing on July 17th and express your views. All voters who want to stop this transfer may contact your Congressman and ask him or her to vote down any attempts to de-federalize the Washington Channel (HR Bill 723, HR Bill 2297)
To respond to Public Notice PN 11-50, you may contact the District Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, PO Box 1715, Baltimore, Maryland 21203-1715, US Army Corps of Engineers, or email the project engineer maria.teresi@usace.army.mil or call her at (410) 962-4501.
For additional information on the Washington Channel proposal GOOGLE usace pn 11-50 or use the following url. http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/Wetlan...C/11-00766.pdf
To look at the District of Columbia’s waterfront proposal, GOOGLE DC pud 11-03 or use the following url. http://planning.dc.gov/DC/Planning/A...Setdown+Report
ANCHOR DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: SAVE ANCHORAGE IN WASHINGTON DC

gooood luck--sounds like the universal dont dare anchor here ruling is coming along..... damshame, but.....seems to be wave of future-i hope you can keep that from happening.
has been a trend since thad allen declared the recreational boateras being the number one threat to national security. good luck in your fight. we lost in kali.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum,
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:18   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

oops my bad--i forgot to welcome ye--- welcome to cf and smooth sailing..i hope ye get to keep the anchorage
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36   #5

Boat: Ohlson 38

Welcome to the forum.

I'm actually anchored in the Washington channel now positioned perfectly for the fireworks show! (closest boat to the 14th street bridge)

How sad that corporate greed will be the end of boating as we know it on the Potomac River. In the immediate vicinity, National Horror err...harbor will no longer allow liveaboards and charges 15 dollars for four hours dinghy docking. Belle haven marina has been targeted by environmentalists for closure. I truly fear for our freedom.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Please take the time to address the issue with U.S Army Corps of Enginners and your congressional representation. It will surely happen if we do not speak up!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:03   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I'll take a break from my current fight to preserve anchoring rights in Annapolis (*grin*) and work on a letter before the end of the comment period.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 15:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Thanks! While politics is local, this water grab requires two federal wickets. A Congressional bill to de-federalize the channel and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers application approval. Both listen to the public at large (sometimes). Please make your concerns known to them, it may make the difference.
Old 01-07-2011, 16:30   #9

This just sucks. Sad, very sad. We anchored there for a couple of weeks over the 4th of July last year. It's an absolutely great spot to tour DC and watch the fireworks. There were a LOT of boats anchored there for the 4th but we all found room, and no need for a managed mooring field to do it! Oh yeah, as an added bonus, if you use the Capitol Yacht Club dinghy dock, you get to meet our very own btrayfors.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sending in my comments/protest.

Greg S
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Greg,
The Washington Channel anchorage is filling up for the 4th. I counted 15 boats last night. Please address your thoughts to US Army Corps of Engineers and your Congressman. P.S. Bill T. is a great ol salt, had the pleasure of sailing with him to Maine a few years back. Cheers
Old 02-07-2011, 13:03   #11

Thanks for that. Could you please tell us which Congressman supported the two bills? I cycle in Hains Point, which is on the Washington Channel, and truly enjoy seeing the cruising vessels from all over the world, anchored in our Nations Capitol.

"Two Congressional Bills have been introduced to allow this transfer of the Washington Channel."
YADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 13:15   #12

This is part of the story, "Belle haven marina has been targeted by environmentalists for closure." It was also targeted for closure by business people with close ties to Congress as they attempted to steal the lease from the current manager.

To me, the greatest threat attempt to Belle Haven Marina was made by the same type of business people who created National Harbor (which used to be a most beautiful anchorage surrounded by trees), the same type of business people who want to give away our access to the Washington Channel.

Businessman ruined National Harbor anchorage, not environmentalists.
Old 02-07-2011, 14:04   #13

Boat: Catalac 9m - "Kellytime"

We have similar fights going on down here in FL. The state has created a "Anchoring Pilot project" and now historic St. Augustine is participating as one of five cities in the state’s mooring and anchoring pilot project. As part of this project, the City will be allowed to develop an ordinance to limit nearby anchoring. (while they create a mooring field $$).

St. Augustine has always been a great stop and now they want to limit access unless you can pay.

I'll definately do what I can for the DC effort. But we seem to be losing the anchor wars.

rwhit323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 14:12   #14

The Washington Channel anchorage of the future:
Mooring Meters=The mooring ball will have a credit card slot and a card reader, and a very generous two hour limit (like parking meters in Washington, DC).
Old 02-07-2011, 15:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

The Congresswoman who introduced the bills was the Honorable Ellenor Homes Norton (DC) and of course the Bills were sent to one of the sub-committees she is on. But Congressman Mica (FL) chairs the over-arching committee. Make sure he knows how you fell about these Bills.

Tags
anchor, Washington DC