Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:38   #31
Eternal Member

Re: SAVE THE ANCHORAGE IN WASHINGTON DC

Sam,

You can't be serious about trading an anchorage in the Washington Channel (very scenic and protected and centrally located) for one in the mouth of the Anacostia (not very scenic and unprotected and not conveniently located).

I see that you were at Buzzards Point Marina when you posted last year, so you also can't be serious about a "10 minute walk to the Metro" thru a very iffy area in terms of personal security...especially at night.

Perhaps your suggestion is driven more by your intimate involvement with the proposed project than by the best interests of the boating community?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56   #32

Sorry, but we didn't stop in DC to see the metro station! We stopped to see the Mall and all it's wonderful attractions. A quick measurement on the Garmin map (straight line) shows the it's only 1/2 mile to the mall from the CYC and almost 2 miles from Buzzards Point. Plus that anchorage is much more exposed to wind, current and LOTS of water traffic. And the view?...It pretty much sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
....The waterfront will provide an opportunity for the world's best architects to do their best work. ....The SW waterfront development will be upwards of $2B and that is serious money even in Washington DC.
You invited us to guess so... Your profile shows that you are an architect. So you're in it for the money then?
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:57   #33

Boat: Endeavour, 40

For those local to DC, below is information on how to voice your concerns with the DC Zoning Commission.

How to Testify before the Zoning Commission on the SW Waterfront Plan

If you can spare an evening to come out and shape your neighborhood’s future, it will be time well spent. We know your time is valuable and scarce, and thank you for making the time to testify to support your community.

Tips for testifying:
· You don’t need to argue laws and policies with the Commissioners, you just need to tell your story. That’s what they want to hear and what makes an impact.
· Call or write the Zoning Commission to get on the witness list. Witnesses will be heard on a first come first served basis so the sooner you sign on the sooner you will be heard. Contact Dana Hanousek at [COLOR= ]Donna.Hanousek@DC.gov [/COLOR]or 202-727-0789 and provide your name, your desire to testify in support or opposition to the Southwest Waterfront Plan, Case No. 11-03, your telephone number, and a request for confirmation you are on the list. You can also sign up to testify by arriving prior to 6:30 pm at the Zoning Commission hearing room on the hearing date. However, first come first served so those signing up at the hearing will testify last-which can sometimes be late in the evening. If you call or write in advance you should not sign up again at the hearing.
· Submitting written comments: If you can not testify in person, you should mail or fax your comments prior to July 18 to the Zoning Commission: fax no. 202-727-6072. You can email comments but only if you sign your comments and send as a PDF of not more than 10 pages. Email your signed PDF to: zcsubmissions@dc.gov.
The DC Zoning Commission is located at the [COLOR= ]Judiciary Square Metro Station[/COLOR]:
Office of Zoning Hearing Room
441 4th Street NW, Suite 220-S
Washington, DC 2001
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 16:22   #34

Boat: Columbia 41

As a matter of fact, I am there right now as I write this. It is not very near to the Mall if you are on foot. I ride my bicycle to work near Washington circle and it takes 35 minutes. Walking from the SW Waterfront to any of the museums is a hike. Walking from there to the Waterfront Metro (and adjacent Safeway) is about 5 minutes. Once you are in Metro it is 20 minutes to the Smithsonian Metro stop.

As anyone knows who lives in DC, the distances are long. It is a bicycle friendly city but for walking, not so much.

Now as for the anchorage at Buzzards Point / James Creek, as I look out my cabin window I can just see the Alexandria power plant stacks in the distance beyond Bolling AFB. The Anacostia is about 3/4 mile wide here. Marker #3 is about 400 yards from me. There is no breakwater protecting James Creek Marina or Buzzards Point but the summer winds are not so very annoying. In fact, the breeze makes quite a difference and cools things off nicely. And as for space, both Buzzards Point and James Creek have space for transients.

Now the walk from here up to the Waterfront is exactly parallel to Fort McNair and the National War College. There is a public housing project not far off, Siphax Gardens. Some visitors may feel uncumfortable in the proximity if the residents. And some visitors should work on that feeling especially if they intend to cruise to points further afield.

Now as for me and my connection to the SW waterfront development. I do not work for any real estate developer. Neither am I connected directly to the project professionally. The thing about DC is, for all the big architecture this is a small town. Most folks know most folks. And smallest town of all is the waterfront where everyone knows everyone.

Opps, I gotta go. Three dragon boats are in a race and I gotta go watch.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:52   #35

Re: Save the Anchorage In Washington DC

Today is Friday. Weather should be good localy. Yea!

But it's only six days away from the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers deadline for submission of inputs to their Public Notice PN 11-50.

Please make time today to let them know what you think about the District of Columbia's proposal for the Washington Channel.

Enjoy your weekend!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36   #36

Boat: Caliber 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B View Post
There is plenty of anchorage along the waterfront just off of Buzzards Point Marina and James Creek Marina (where the local fuel dock is located). That is technically speaking, in the Anacostia thouth it is 1/4 mile from where the Anacostia flows into the Potomac. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Waterfront Metro stop as opposed to a 5 minute walk from the Washington Channel.
And you walk through "the projects" to get anywhere...although it is not high crime. We live within the waterfront district, and boat traffic and wakes are increasing on the Buzzard Point side.

Another change coming are condos to be built along the waterfront, and their marinas will protrude into the river and will add to the boat traffic. This will not be a sailor-friendly place unless we have loads of greenbacks. Unfortunately, we are fighting a very large and corrupt machine.
harmony80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34   #37

Below is a letter to USACE, FYI

To: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District
SUBJECT: RESPONSE TO USACE PUBLIC NOTICE PN 11-50
I wish to respond to Public Notice 11-50 as it will adversely affect my and other visiting vessels ability to anchor in the upper reaches of the Washington Channel. As currently proposed, the District of Columbia’s proposal will essentially end all anchoring in the upper Washington Channel. Furthermore the proposed fore-aft mooring system is inconsistent with that used by East Coast boaters and the general boating public who are accustomed to bow-on mooring systems. Additionally, the mooring spacing proposed (30 feet) does not support the size of vessels currently anchoring in the Washington Channel (normally vessels range from 40 to 60 feet) and is not sufficient to moor 12 to 15 boats. I strongly suggest the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers not issue a permit to the District of Columbia until such time as these concerns have been addressed and vetted to the boating community at large.
Areas of the upper (North and West) reaches of the Washington Channel are presently occupied by about 12 to 15 anchored vessels of approximately 40 to 60 feet. These vessels are predominately home ported outside of District of Columbia and are often visiting from other countries. Additional verifiable statistics are available from DC Harbor Patrol who requires all visiting anchored vessels to register with them.
I believe with regard to the boating side of the DC’s plan, the current District of Columbia proposal reflects a very local perspective and ignores the national and international aspect of visiting cruisers. These boaters traditionally anchor in the Washington Channel when visiting our Nation’s capital and the world class museums located in the District.
The plan also does not seem to have many slips for the ever increasing number of catamaran cruising boats both local and visiting because of their width and lack of docking facilities, these vessels usually anchor.
The currently installed docks on the east side of the Washington Channel consume approximately 250 feet in width of the waters in the channel. As a result, the navigable upper reaches of the Washington Channel are now only about 450 feet wide. Reducing the channel from 400 feet to 200 feet and extending the docks an additional 200 feet into the channel will leave only 50 feet for anchoring or mooring next to the East Potomac Park. That is simply not enough room and is too close to shore.
If change must occur, I would recommend reducing and splitting the current 400 foot wide channel into two 150 feet wide channels each placed east and west on the outer banks / docks. Then place a mooring field and anchorage sized for 50-60 foot boats using the remaining 150 feet in the middle. This would allow visiting traffic and tour boats to have an unconfused traffic pattern (inbound eastside – outbound west side) and a turning basin just before the 14th street Bridge.

Taking acres of navigable water from the anchorage is fine for those living in DC who wish to live aboard and stay, but what about the visiting cruisers? What about those voyagers who travel here to visit our Nation’s capital? Cruisers generally don’t like to dock and they rarely take a mooring. Cruisers anchor 70% - 95 % of their time. In summary, I'm against taking the anchorage away from the visiting cruisers and giving it to the developer for docks and boats that are not sea worthy, look like floating barges or shacks, and rarely if ever move.

Very Respectfully,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

District Engineer
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Baltimore District
PO Box 1715
Baltimore, Maryland 21203-1715,
Attn: Ms. Maria N. Teresi
Old 08-07-2011, 14:08   #38

Flipper,

I e-mailed my response to Ms. Maria N. Teresi. Will that be adequate, or MUST it be faxed/mailed?

Thanks - Greg
Old 08-07-2011, 14:33   #39

Greg, The Public Notice says
"The request, which must be in writing, must be received by the District Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, PO Box 1715, Baltimore, Maryland 21203-1715, within the comment period as specified as above to receive consideration. Also, it must clearly state forth the interest which may be adversely affected by this activity in the manner in which the interest may be adversely affected."

I sent it both by email and postal service.

I know that is not much help, no answer on Friday at 17:30 at USACE.

Cheers, Phil
Old 08-07-2011, 15:08   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Greg, The Public Notice says
"The request, which must be in writing, must be received by the District Engineer, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, PO Box 1715, Baltimore, Maryland 21203-1715, within the comment period as specified as above to receive consideration. Also, it must clearly state forth the interest which may be adversely affected by this activity in the manner in which the interest may be adversely affected."

I sent it both by email and postal service.

I know that is not much help, no answer on Friday at 17:30 at USACE.

Cheers, Phil
I was trying to copy this letter onto my text writting software (Open Office by Oracle) but I could not get it copied correctly after 6 attempts I gave up?? Did you created it, or post it in some sort of column format that a simple click copy, click paste does not work??
Brian
Old 08-07-2011, 15:34   #41

Brian,

I just cut it from a word document and paste it into the text box. If you want me to send direct, give me an address. Cheers, Phil
Old 08-07-2011, 18:19   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper View Post
Brian,

I just cut it from a word document and paste it into the text box. If you want me to send direct, give me an address. Cheers, Phil
I sent you my email address in a private message.

I've had a similar problem using the open source Word program from Oracle before. but overall I'm sick of being hostage to Microsoft Word and some of its venerability to viruses, etc.
beiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 19:51   #43

Thanks Phil, I will follow up the email with a signed, faxed document to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, Fax: 202-727-6072

Greg
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12   #44

For those interested in the details of the upcomming Zoning Council meeting on the 18th of July,

Details about the zoning hearing can be found here: http://dcoz.dc.gov/news/2011/phn_1103_071811.pdf

Details about the proposed zonning plan can be found here:
DCOZ Case Report

The case number is 11-03
Old 12-07-2011, 13:08   #45

Boat: Crealock, Pilothouse Ketch, cutter rigged, 63'

I represent the CYC BOT, and in our discussions with the developers, many of the issues raised on this thread have been heard and addressed.

- There is a proposal for an anchorage in the channel, roughly around the pier 4 area.=

- CYC has also proposed to operate the moorings for the benefit of the cruising community.

Currently, where vessels anchor now is 1) awful holding ground, 2) in the federal channel and 3) interfering with larger vessels and their turning radius.

The proposed mix brings new piers for large vessels, small piers for the community to access the water, and is accessible for a wide variety of the boating community. Right now, if you're not a boat owner, you can't walk on a pier or dock in the channel.

Yes, this proposal does reduce the channel by 200', but it increases so many other uses and creates a safer overall water front. Defined anchorages, mooring feilds, turning basins and channels are proposed, rather than the current ad hoc approach, which is in my view simply waiting for a serious accident. I've seen my own 63' ketch drag a 110lb anchor with 150' of chain out the full length of the channel in an early morning thunderstorm, when DC Harbor said it was too dangerous to take their boat out.

While I understand some of the different opinions, it is my view that the developer has been sensitive to the whole user community and is trying to incorporate all users into a healthy, vibrant waterfront. The proposal is widely supported in the city, and we would be better served as a community to participate in the development and let people know how important it is to have safe places to land dinghies etc. I have been in many development meetings where the good points of the Eastport or Annapolis water front were discussed, along with the awful points of the Baltimore or Washington Harbor. We are trying to build an involved, active, and welcoming waterfront. I feel that the proposal is one worthy of support,

Tom Des Jardins
Capital Yacht Club
Board Of Trustees
captainoverbrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Washington DC