Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 19:13   #16

Re: San Diego to Christmas Is. ??

You had better do a little research on Christmas Island before you cast off skipper. I don't think it's a port of entry for Kiribati and the officials don't take kindly to people just showing up. And, the last time I was there in 2006, the island was mostly a hazardous waste dump.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 20:26   #17

Please refer to Noonsite with latest info on Christmas Island. It is a port of entry and all the people who write about don't say anything about waste. In fact they talk about how helpful and friendly the people are.
fromfiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 23:19   #18

Fromfiji, there are two Christmas islands in the world. The one that people visit and enjoy is in the Indian Ocean near cocos-keeling. The other Christmas Island, the one in the pacific, near to the rhumb line between San Diego and Fiji is in Kiribati, is not a port of entry, and was used to store mega tons of hazmat after WWII. As I said, I was last there in 2006 and things may have changed, but I still suggest that anyone going there do their homework. (Something beyond listening to Jimmy Buffet sing, "Would you like to spend Christmas on Christmas Island?"
Old 18-11-2016, 05:54   #19

DID YOU CHECK NOONSITE????
Old 18-11-2016, 06:46   #20

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

We are talking about Kiritimati in Kiribati. Right? I don't think anybody would sail from US to Christmas Island AUS then to Fiji.

Kiritimati, one must remember, is in Kiribati. And it something like 1500 miles from the capital, Tarawa, which itself is a shiphole. So take that with some thought- what would you expect?

That said, I know Kiritimati is a destination for spearfishing fanatics out of Hawaii & California, so I assume that the waters must be pretty good.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 19:23   #21

Fromfiji, you are correct, noonsite says Christmas is a port of entry. All I can tell you is that when I was in Tarawa in 2010, a boat came in which thought they had cleared in in the line islands district of Kiribati, I don't recall exactly which island. But I do remember that they were promptly arrested and had a lot of trouble leaving. And I can tell you that the pass, ( entrance) to Christmas' lagoon is a nightmare and that the anchorage in the lagoon is not safe. When I was there most of the island was off limits due to hazmat. And, the island is not a tropical paradise. It is a barren, hot windswept place. Even Tarawa looks good by comparison. By all means, do sail from California to Fiji. But follow the 'milk run' there is a reason it is so popular.
Old 18-11-2016, 20:02   #22

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
Even Tarawa looks good by comparison. .

Now THAT is a commentary! Tarawa (well, Betio and the center) sucks.

Me, I'd go to Kiritimati and deal with their beauracratic BS. A few dollars authoritarian attitude will sort things out.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 21:37   #23

I have traveled all over the south pacific. Background in the 90s I mad two trips from Fiji to Australia, By way of Vanuatu, Solomons, PNG, bact to solomons, and Australia. This is the first trip. Second trip same but added New Caledonia. Everywhere I went I found the poorer the people the nicer. I have not been to Christmas Island but I am sure the people are very nice My major interest was diving so as long as the people were nice and the reefs were good I enjoyed it. I am sure I would like Christmas Islands. I must make a confession. All of my travel was on a 42' steel trawler. Please forgive a stink pot captain. The boat I am looking it is again steel and capable of this trip . As a note I left Fiji about the same time as a 57' Swan sail boat. We ran into each other her e and there. In Rabaul PNG. I was heading back to the Solomons and he was going on to Hong Kong. He was a real sailor who loved sailing. He complained to me that since he left Fiji he had only 4 days of sailing. His job would be a dream job for a lot of you as he was a delivery capt. who was taking the boat to Hong Kong for the owner.
I am sorry that I have wondered completely off subject but I thought some of you would enjoy this tale and show you that this kind of travel is that part of the world is suited to trawlers.
Old 19-11-2016, 00:12   #24

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Here's some fodder for the one or two self appointed geniuses/ vultures on CF.
Why did it have to be me??
Call me insular, unworldly, untravelled.....that's cool.
On my geographic imprint it is impossible to get to "Christmas Island" from San Diego without traversing the Horn of Africa and then heading towards the Sunda Straits (Indonesia).
Then a bloody long haul thru Torres Strait and on to Fiji. Helloooo?
Why wouldn't you just head out of California west to Fiji ?
It seems that Kiritimati is sometomes called "christmas island" by the world girdling cogniscenti.
Christmas Island is quite a long haul nor'west of Broome Western Australia.
Yes I know, my fault for bieng so uneducated.
Y'all have fun with this one.
And no, I'm NOT trying to get banned again.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 01:13   #25

Christmas Island (Kintimati) is part of the country of Kiribati and is about 3000 mi from Sad Diego.
Old 19-11-2016, 01:39   #26

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Thanks Fiji, especially for not hammering me. Possibly there a few Christmas Islands on the planet.
My ignorance.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 04:25   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Glennwaus.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, san diego