Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 23:48   #1

San Diego: Discount on Bottom Jobs

I'm not affiliated with the yard at all, but I figure this might be helpful for anyone in the area (especially with the baja ha-ha folks in town). Driscoll (boat yard in shelter island) is doing a free haul/block/launch with your paint job. Saves a few hundred bucks. Good till the end of the month.

FREE HAUL OUTS! DRISCOLL BOAT WORKS INC.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:56   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Lol Rebel… when I read the title I thought you were pimpin….
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 13:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Lol Rebel… when I read the title I thought you were pimpin….
yeah ... "i'll do your bottom" can come across a little weird
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 14:39   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
but--how much is tommy driscoll charging for paint jobs this year???
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 16:15   #5

I actually asked twice for a quote from Driscoll for a major amount of work. They neglected to keep their appointment twice. I had quotes from others and also Baja Naval.

The Service from Baja Naval (in Ensenada, a short quick pleasant cruise from San Diego) is superb, the craftsman are fantastic, and the quality is world class. Oh, yea.. it is also less then US prices. And they did keep their appointment and were fantastic.

In this day, people ought to provide good service. I could not even get Driscoll to treat me right before the sale... so I was worried what would happen after the sale.

Just a note.... Regarding my own personal experience.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16   #6

Boat: 2002 Dufour Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
I actually asked twice for a quote from Driscoll for a major amount of work. They neglected to keep their appointment twice. I had quotes from others and also Baja Naval.

The Service from Baja Naval (in Ensenada, a short quick pleasant cruise from San Diego) is superb, the craftsman are fantastic, and the quality is world class. Oh, yea.. it is also less then US prices. And they did keep their appointment and were fantastic.

In this day, people ought to provide good service. I could not even get Driscoll to treat me right before the sale... so I was worried what would happen after the sale.

Just a note.... Regarding my own personal experience.
What did you have done at Baja Naval? I am thinking of them for a full repaint and some trak work.
tkawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkawika View Post
What did you have done at Baja Naval? I am thinking of them for a full repaint and some trak work.
Ah... The list is long... and time is short...
for all the things I must report....

but let me make an attempt:

remove rod rigging
Take mast out.
all hardware off mast, boom, spinnaker
minor repair on boom
sandblast mast, boom, spinnaker pole
repaint awl grip mast, boom, spinnaker pole
repair replace all worn components on mast, boom, spinnaker pole

remove all hardware from deck
service / repair all winches
remove old teak deck
re-glass deck,
remove 23 years of bottom paint
paint hull awl grip
install new teak deck

bottom paint.

some interior work teak cabinets

and some minor details (hey it's a boat... it never stops.. )

They were on time, on budget and she never looked better.

They consistently take the time and care as if it is THEIR own boat, rather then a cash cow for the yard. There were things that I was prepared for more work, where they suggested a repair (rather then replacement) that resulted in LESS billing for hours to them.

I can not say enough positive about them. As I told their crew: Baja Naval does not do 'good work', RATHER it is 'excellent' and world class.

I hope this helps.

Best,

(again, I am JUST a customer, and have NO financial TIES with BAJA NAVAL, (other then I gave them a lot of money.... but... it's a boat.. )
Old 01-11-2010, 07:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Nice to hear there are still some good places out there besides us.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:33   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
puerto escondido, baja, is also a good place--100mi north of la paz--- 3 mo on hard with work done i=was 1300$ for a fiend there....they do good work and now that wooden boat no longer sinks..LOL...... just saying there are places that are not under the influence of san diegos price inflation range.... good luck-- baja naval DOES do excellent work--i have never denied that-- but they are in direct pricing competition with north san diego bay inflationary boatyards. so a DEAL isnt going to be commonplace there. but hte bathrooms/showers are awesome and the service rocks!! -- but ye ARE paying for it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 13:18   #10

Boat: 2002 Dufour Classic 36
Wow H20Man, Pretty close to what I want done without the full teak deck. All my rigging and hardware were replaced a few years ago by the previous owner, so hopefully they don't need to be replaced. Would love to see some picts. Anyhoot, I will be contacting them soon. Can I PM you with some more questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
puerto escondido, baja, is also a good place--100mi north of la paz--- 3 mo on hard with work done i=was 1300$ for a fiend there.
Sound's good, but is that on the Sea of Cortez? If so, that's a long trip. Its already a 200 + mile trip to Ensenada from Redondo Beach, but if I head to my friends place in Bahia de Los Angeles it will be great option. Thank you...
tkawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 13:31   #11

Boat: CT54
Last time we checked into having a bottom job done in San Diego (approx. 2 years ago) they told us they are unable to use Petite Trinidad within the county of San Diego. It seems that San Diego County had just implemented some tough laws on bottom paints. At that time you could still use Trinidad in Orange County and LA County....I am not sure if this is still the case but worth checking into in my opinion.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 15:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkawika View Post
Wow H20Man, ....
Can I PM you with some more questions?
I just sent you a PM with contact info.

Best,
Old 01-11-2010, 15:50   #13
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Last time we checked into having a bottom job done in San Diego (approx. 2 years ago) they told us they are unable to use Petite Trinidad within the county of San Diego. It seems that San Diego County had just implemented some tough laws on bottom paints.
Not true. The Port of San Diego (which has authority over the waterfront, not the county) will implement regulation of in-water hull cleaning next spring, but there are no restrictions on anti fouling paint as of yet. If you see it on the shelf, you can put it on your boat.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san diego