Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 18:03   #1

Boat: Pearson, 28-1
Salvage Boat Auction, Beaufort NC

Bock Marine, where I am rebuilding my boat, is holding an auction of salvage boats on Saturday October 6th at 10:00 a.m.

Details of the auction are here:

Auction Dates & Terms

Photos of some of the boats are here:

Photographs

I'm not very familiar with many of these boats but most have been in the yard for some time.

Bock Marine is a great place to work on a boat should you be interested in making one of those boats yours. The crew here are experts with a lot of experience with steel boat repair and fabrication if you are interested in one of the steel boats.

Bock Marine

Hopefully a mob of folks will show up as I'd love to take a break from sanding to watch a few heated auctions!
JonathanSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 21:44   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Salvage Boat Auction, Beaufort NC

The steel sailboat looks promising for someone.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:58   #3

Boat: Pearson Freedom 44

I would be interested in how often someone can find auctions like this. Do you think that they will post what the boats sell for? Too far away for me to be there in person. I would look that wood boat over for myself with the steel one a close second.
sarkastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 13:11   #4

I'm not sure how often auctions like this happen, though there are plenty of old boats that look abandoned in yards so I wouldn't be surprised if it happens from time to time. I'm not involved, or informed on the subject, but there may be some legal requirement for certain boats to be offered at auction as a part of the yard claiming ownership of them.

I've walked around to look at some of these boats and the steel boats in particular are showing signs of serious rust and deterioration. A few of the glass boats show much more promise as do the wooden boats (surprisingly).

If any list regulars come out be sure mention the forum if we meet. I'll be loitering and observing while I put off sanding work.

Jonathan
Old 07-10-2012, 16:39   #5

Boat: O'Day 28

Buddy went. just 3 boats were sold. The two steels were purchased for scrap. The Alberg 30 sold for $450 and thought to look good. The Contest 28 had a reserve of 2k. That's all i know.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 17:03   #6

I talked to the yard owners not long after the auction and at that point 6 of the 9 boats were sold and it looked likely that a 7th would be sold within a few minutes. The three boats that hadn't sold at that point were "Rosa" the wooden schooner, "Fish On" the 30' sport fisher and the Lexcen sloop.

Bock owns "Rosa" and "Fish On" and it sounded like the scrap guy might get "Fish On" but that they will try to find a home for "Rosa" which isn't in too bad of condition. The Contest 29 ended up going for $1k I'm pretty sure and the Alberg and Dana for less than $500 apiece as stated above. The steel boats are going to a scrap metal guy from what I understand and although I didn't ask I think a few others are to be scrapped as well. The Contest was the nicest of the boats that I went on, though I didn't go on the Dana which I've heard praised by someone who has sailed them extensively.

Although I hope to launch next Spring I still wouldn't mind if they did this a few more times to get rid of a lot of the mosquito breeders that are around before next Summer just in case I miss another launch goal. I hate to see boats die, but I've gotten used to it.

Jonathan
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23   #7

Boat: Pearson Freedom 44

not that could handle a 52' boat like 'Rosa' but what are they wanting for her?
sarkastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:39   #8

Hello Sarkastic,

I don't know the specifics on what they want for Rosa but will guess that they want to give her away to someone that can take care of her, or they want to sell her for a very small sum. Part of the reason for this is that they are busy running a yard and don't put much effort into selling boats that they acquire, but Rosa is also pretty basic in terms of fit-out and will need work to get into the water, more to sail, and more to be a home on the water...

I can get more information if desired, or you can call or email the Bock office to learn more. They are nice folks and won't mind giving you the scoop on Rosa.

Bock Marine

Jonathan

Tags
auction, beaufort, salvage