Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2018, 23:54   #1
uhu

sailors need your help / how NOT to deliver a yacht

about a yacht delivery - gone terribly wrong

Schooner "Rich Harvest" having drugs aboard
without the crew knowing it
+ ending up in Cabo Verdes justice system ... (outrageous)

the details:
https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/04/a-cautionary-tale-and-a-rallying-call-to-the-cruising-community/

by signing the petition we might be able to help the sailors

the petition:
https://www.change.org/p/embaixada-do-brasil-em-cabo-verde-mobiliza%C3%A7%C3%A3o-pela-liberdade-de-3-velejadores-brasileiros-presos-injustamente-em-cabo-verde
uhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 01:26   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: sailors need your help / how NOT to deliver a yacht

All Signed.

Very bad situation for them - My heart goes out to them.

Pretty much sums up lazy and incompetent officials - Unfortunately this is a world wide problem and not just the developing world!
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2018, 03:12   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Signed.
Old 30-04-2018, 05:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: sailors need your help / how NOT to deliver a yacht

A cautionary tale indeed for all who consider working as a delivery skipper or as crew on a delivery..
However I must confess to some surprise at the naivety expressed by the author of the article in the statements below..

(Quote) Olivier Thomas, Daniel Guerra, Rodrigo Dantas, and Daniel Dantas were doing just what my son, Caesar, does; and they were doing just what my daughter’s husband, Gean, does. In fact, as I write these words Caesar, Xoë, and Gean are actually delivering a yacht for a customer. In the past, Caesar has sailed on a yacht which travelled from South America to the Falklands. And Gean has sailed on one which went all the way from Argentina to the Azores (which was also the final destination for Rich Harvest). At no stage have Caesar or Gean ever considered the possibility of exploring the innermost depths of a delivery yacht’s keel – and nor did my husband, Nick, ever think of doing such a thing when he used to deliver yachts. Nick and I actually met whilst doing a delivery trip; and neither of us ever thought to even look in the lockers under the bunks, still less below the water-tanks. Who, in heaven’s name, would ever think of looking below the water-tanks before he agreed to sail aboard a boat?
Do drug-smugglers film their voyages? Do drug-smugglers post regular updates on Facebook, letting the world know of their whereabouts?
Is it really likely that an organisation smuggling a $180,000,000 US cargo would want to risk their liberty by being personally involved in the carriage? And is it remotely likely that they would share the news of its existence with a bunch of hitch-hikers? (“Oh, by the way, I just thought I ought to mention the fact that there’s a ton of coke in the bilge. You’re all okay with that, aren’t you?”) (End quote)

Personally I check over a boat fairly well.. bar ripping out tanks etc and.. should I feel a 'Twitch' about a boat before I start, or during the trip.. I have been known in the past to contact the authorities prior to arrival about any suspicions I may have.. a past Australian delivery to name but one.
To date my fears have been groundless, however.. I would rather a fruitless search I have instigated than an experience akin to these guys as a result of gullibility and misplaced faith in humanity.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 08:27   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A cautionary tale indeed for all who consider working as a delivery skipper or as crew on a delivery..
However I must confess to some surprise at the naivety expressed by the author of the article in the statements below..

(Quote) Olivier Thomas, Daniel Guerra, Rodrigo Dantas, and Daniel Dantas were doing just what my son, Caesar, does; and they were doing just what my daughter’s husband, Gean, does. In fact, as I write these words Caesar, Xoë, and Gean are actually delivering a yacht for a customer. In the past, Caesar has sailed on a yacht which travelled from South America to the Falklands. And Gean has sailed on one which went all the way from Argentina to the Azores (which was also the final destination for Rich Harvest). At no stage have Caesar or Gean ever considered the possibility of exploring the innermost depths of a delivery yacht’s keel – and nor did my husband, Nick, ever think of doing such a thing when he used to deliver yachts. Nick and I actually met whilst doing a delivery trip; and neither of us ever thought to even look in the lockers under the bunks, still less below the water-tanks. Who, in heaven’s name, would ever think of looking below the water-tanks before he agreed to sail aboard a boat?
Do drug-smugglers film their voyages? Do drug-smugglers post regular updates on Facebook, letting the world know of their whereabouts?
Is it really likely that an organisation smuggling a $180,000,000 US cargo would want to risk their liberty by being personally involved in the carriage? And is it remotely likely that they would share the news of its existence with a bunch of hitch-hikers? (“Oh, by the way, I just thought I ought to mention the fact that there’s a ton of coke in the bilge. You’re all okay with that, aren’t you?”) (End quote)

Personally I check over a boat fairly well.. bar ripping out tanks etc and.. should I feel a 'Twitch' about a boat before I start, or during the trip.. I have been known in the past to contact the authorities prior to arrival about any suspicions I may have.. a past Australian delivery to name but one.
To date my fears have been groundless, however.. I would rather a fruitless search I have instigated than an experience akin to these guys as a result of gullibility and misplaced faith in humanity.
I'm very similar to you, Boatie in terms of "due diligence." I was taking a cat from Gib to Holland once and was boarded by the French customs in the English Channel who, on inspecting my log book, were very interested in the fact that I had come from the sunny caribbee via Gibraltar - both fairly well known areas for drugs....They did a heck of a search! As they boarded, I put Edith Piaf on the stereo which lightened the mood somewhat...When it came to taking the inspection cover off the black water tank, the smell put them off and they declined to put their gloved hands in to feel around for packages. Interestingly, in the cockpit, I had a black plastic garbage sack, ready for taking ashore for disposal on arrival. It was a bit "high" and the Officer in charge, who was sitting in the cockpit at the time, with a distasteful expression on his face, moved it a bit further away from himself, without looking in it. So there's two places I could have got away with in terms of smuggling. Anyway, they eventually left and, on leaving, I put La Marseillese (sp??) on the stereo, which made them laugh a bit...
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, yacht