Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2007, 11:46   #1

Sailor rescued from Humberto

Tugboat rescues sailor stranded by Humberto
Pepin was driven into shallows after taking shelter in Taylor's Bayou. The sailor attracted the attention of a passing tug who rescued him. The tug then reported it to the Coast Guard, who heli-lifted him from the tug.

The Coast Guard would like to remind the maritime community and boating public to track the storm's progress and take early action to protect themselves and their vessels...

And a few (insulting) tips...
  • Do not go out to sea in a recreational boat if you know a tropical storm is approaching.
  • Take action now. The effects of a tropical storm can be felt well in advance of the storm itself and can prevent the safe completion of preparations.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 12:28   #2

Boat: C&C 27
I can't defend the sailor here so please don't take this as such. But as a time line for the storm consider...

Tuesday night the weather mentioned that there was a low in the Gulf just off shore of Galveston. It was not expected to form a depression.
Wednesday morning's weather forcast was for a rainy commute. Still no mention of a tropical storm forming.
Wednesday noon, tropical depression.
Wednesday 2 pm, named tropical storm. It was expected to hit Galveston by early that evening. A bunch of us head to the bay to tie off our boats.
Wednesday 4 pm, still a minor storm, no real wind expected, mostly a rain event.
Wednesday evening news, the eye of the storm was passing over Galveston bay and Houston by midnight, winds 45 mph.
Thursday 2 am (yes I get up at two), Storm is now a hurricane located just south of High Island about forty miles as the crow flies off its projected track.
Thursday 2:30 am, Humberto hits High Island.
Thrusday 5 am, Humberto on the Texas/Lousiana border 90 miles away from where it was predicted to come ashore (Taylors Bayou).

Cloudy day to Hurricane in less than 24 hours. The last time something like this happened Tropical Storm Alison forms in the gulf overnight and dumped 30+ inches of rain in my back yard in one day and 24 the next. I quit emptying the gauge both days.

I have no idea why this guy didn't get out of the way. But the wife and I were discussing all of the tows in the ICW between the Calcasieu and High Island that got caught in the mess. I don't blame the weather service but I don't trust tropical forcasting either. For me the lesson in Humberto is in how fast this stuff can come up.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 13:16   #3

My question was simpler...

Why did the Coast Guard "rescue" him from the tugboat? I assume the tug wasn't in any further danger...

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 13:20   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Why did the Coast Guard "rescue" him from the tugboat? I assume the tug wasn't in any further danger...
Likely because the tug guys didn't want to have to stop to drop him off somewhere... the sailor was probably pretty "shook up".... or maybe the chopper guys were bored
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 13:24   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I can't defend the sailor here so please don't take this as such. But as a time line for the storm consider...

Tuesday night the weather mentioned that there was a low in the Gulf just off shore of Galveston. It was not expected to form a depression.
Wednesday morning's weather forcast was for a rainy commute. Still no mention of a tropical storm forming.
Wednesday noon, tropical depression.
Wednesday 2 pm, named tropical storm. It was expected to hit Galveston by early that evening. A bunch of us head to the bay to tie off our boats.
Wednesday 4 pm, still a minor storm, no real wind expected, mostly a rain event.
Wednesday evening news, the eye of the storm was passing over Galveston bay and Houston by midnight, winds 45 mph.
Thursday 2 am (yes I get up at two), Storm is now a hurricane located just south of High Island about forty miles as the crow flies off its projected track.
Thursday 2:30 am, Humberto hits High Island.
Thrusday 5 am, Humberto on the Texas/Lousiana border 90 miles away from where it was predicted to come ashore (Taylors Bayou).

Cloudy day to Hurricane in less than 24 hours. The last time something like this happened Tropical Storm Alison forms in the gulf overnight and dumped 30+ inches of rain in my back yard in one day and 24 the next. I quit emptying the gauge both days.

I have no idea why this guy didn't get out of the way. But the wife and I were discussing all of the tows in the ICW between the Calcasieu and High Island that got caught in the mess. I don't blame the weather service but I don't trust tropical forcasting either. For me the lesson in Humberto is in how fast this stuff can come up.
No kidding... I was shocked how few people took this storm seriously. Almost no one had done anything with their boats when I left Seabrook at 8:15pm.
drh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 14:21   #6

Good question. If it is where I think it is they could have picked him up in a taxi.
Old 14-09-2007, 04:48   #7

Here is link to the story and a video of the boat and the rescue.

The Beaumont Enterprise - SE Texans awake to find an unexpected trail of destruction

Going back to the original link, the video is there as well. oops.