Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 21:32   #1

Boat: Trikala 19 trimaran Chiquenfut
Safety at Sea Seminar in Charleston

Just heard about a Safety at Sea Seminar in Charleston, SC, scheduled for March 5. It's been over a decade since I attended one of these, but it was useful. Anyone interested in attending can write to Shelly Warters, one of the organizers at sw <at> ondecksailing <dot> com
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, dannyboy.

Thanks for the heads up.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06   #3

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
I attended one in Toronto last April. It was quite informative, and while I was familiar with most of the concepts, I learned a lot of "connective information".

Also, I had never seen a packed liferaft inflated. A simple thing, but I feel better knowing how noisy it is...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25   #4

Boat: Morgan 461
Alchemy,

I've been wondering what kind of cruising seminar resources are available in the GTA (other than the few seminars at the Boat Show every year). But I still haven't put a lot of effort into researching the issue.

Last year we attended one by the Shards at the PCYC. Now we're interested in attending more specific ones (e.g., safety at sea, diesel maintenance, weather forecasting).

How did you find out about that safety at sea seminar you attended? Can you recommend any sources?

BTW, we live in London, so seminars in the GTA are the best we can hope for.

Thanks!
enovillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:35   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Thanks for the post. I've sent an e-mail asking for details. So, if you are going, you might see me there.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:37   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by enovillo View Post
Alchemy,

I've been wondering what kind of cruising seminar resources are available in the GTA (other than the few seminars at the Boat Show every year). But I still haven't put a lot of effort into researching the issue.

Last year we attended one by the Shards at the PCYC. Now we're interested in attending more specific ones (e.g., safety at sea, diesel maintenance, weather forecasting).

How did you find out about that safety at sea seminar you attended? Can you recommend any sources?

BTW, we live in London, so seminars in the GTA are the best we can hope for.

Thanks!
I have a couple of suggestions. Firstly, the Safety at Sea seminar was a prerequisite to participating in the Lake Ontario 300, so there were a lot of skippers and crew there for that last spring. I heard about it via announcements at my yacht club. It didn't disappoint and was reasonably priced for a lunch in the middle of six hours or so of presentations. The medical lecture was good to hear, and I finally got to meet Herb Hilgenberg, who certainly contributed to keeping a rough delivery in '09 from getting even rougher.

A number of local Toronto clubs offer seminars or "sailors' nights" on their premises in the winter, while others offer such courses as coastal pilotage, radio DSC qualifications, all the way down to "how to splice". My club offers all sorts of these: National Yacht Club.

Some GTA stores, such as Mason's in Port Credit, offer classes on various seamanship topics, or one-night "diesel care and feeding" classes. Not as interesting to me, because I'm beyond beginner-competent, but also because these are understandably ways for the stores in question to sell stuff in the off-season.

Lastly, you should check out your local Canadian Power Squadron course. I've taken many of these, and recommend in particular the 12-week Boaters' Course for consolidating your knowledge. CPS course are held all over Toronto, but I'm sure there is something down London way as you are more or less the same distance to Huron as Erie.

A side note: My first boat, a '73 Viking 33, still bears the reg. numbers starting with "24E", so its first owner must have been from the London area.

Hope this helps.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 13:57   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
The Charleston Safety at Sea Seminar.

I got a pretty quick reply from Shelly.

-->Details - From the Charleston Bermuda Race site

Quote:
A US SAILING sanctioned Safety At Sea Seminar will be presented by OnDeck US on March 5, 2011 from 0830 – 1700 at Charleston Maritime Center located at 10 Wharfside Street, Charleston, SC.
-->Agenda - From the US Sailing site

-->Registration and price - From the Charleston Bermuda Race site

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety