Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 19:20   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
When you board a sailing craft you're going in harms-way! ..... In my life I have had four major "near death" experiences, all of them related to cars, in addition there are a number of times where just being there was life threatening (urban life) Yes you are going in harm's way on a boat, but quite probably alot less than regular life in modern society. Someone dieing in an accident at sea is alot more dramatic than a car accident.
Every time I have had to "clip in" my harness had two tethers, one long one short for going forward and two short ones at the helm. On my boat I use a repelling harness and chest harness (I have plain webbing and inflatable) combined to make full body harnesses (2) . The repelling harness also doubles as an ideal bosun's chair. There are lots of different tethering systems
Old 05-12-2010, 19:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Another writes about having a chair and seatbelt. What's next? Helmets to protect us from the boom? Nobody can come topside unless in a survival suit? When you board a sailing craft you're going in harms-way! Through no fault of your own, sh*t happens, and yes, people are harmed. If you can't accept that, you have no busness being offshore on a boat.
Whoa. Another chest thumper. With respect, your position is nutty. I ask: do motor cycle racers and Grand Prix drivers wear thongs and shorts?; do rock climbers and mountaineers carry twine and plastic hammers to haul themselves up?; do even cricketers go out to bat without pads, gloves and a box?

Lots of people participate in pleasurable activities which can be dangerous, but those with any brains will always take reasonable precautions to ensure they do so safely. They look ahead, anticipate where things can go wrong, and put in place procedures or arrangements in order to minimise any inherent dangers. To do otherwise is, as I said, just nutty.

Your chest beating is consistent with those who vigorously opposed the car seát belt legislation of some decades ago. That single law has saved literally millions of people from injury and death in the ensuing years. My suggestion is aimed at saving sailors from injury or death in extreme conditions.

But don't panic - it won't be law anytime soon. So go ahead, sail out into a building hurricane in a dinghy if you wish. I for one won't bother stopping you.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 20:32   #33

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
At some point you need to use common sense borne out of the will to survive. I was at the helm of a CT 41 delivering it north to British Columbia when the hurricane of 83' swept up the coast and overtook us off Point Conception. When you can no longer drive the boat and even with a life line are swept out of the helm seat by the sea, it is time to lay out warps, make sure your storm sail is secure and head below. The boat will look after itself and take more than any human can. Safest place below was under the galley table... less chance of being hit by flying debris below decks. Although we did not pitchpole we were laid ahull with masts in the water several times but we survived. My heart goes out to the skipper and the daughter who survived. Her father made the best decision he could under the circumstances and passed doing what he loved... she appears like a class lady and has many of her fathers traits, I would think... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:08   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Your chest beating is consistent with those who vigorously opposed the car seát belt legislation of some decades ago.
Fascinating: an anti chest-thumping revolution right here on CF. If this keeps up, we might actually get back to having intelligent conversations.
Old 05-12-2010, 21:22   #35
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
If this keeps up, we might actually get back to having intelligent conversations.
...and what else are you hoping to get in your stocking this Christmas? LOL

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 22:23   #36

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Fascinating: an anti chest-thumping revolution right here on CF. If this keeps up, we might actually get back to having intelligent conversations.
Aw come-on Bash, as a CF Advisor, are you trying to spark a debate that'll get the Mods all wigged out?
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 00:56   #37

Woops, hope the reference to a 'thong' in my last post didn't upset any sensibilities - over here we wear them on our feet! Picture that if u can
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:44   #38

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Woops, hope the reference to a 'thong' in my last post didn't upset any sensibilities - over here we wear them on our feet! Picture that if u can

You must have funny feet.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Whoa. Another chest thumper. With respect, your position is nutty. do rock climbers and mountaineers carry twine and plastic hammers to haul themselves up?;
Pardon.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:02   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
LOL... yeah.. who knows it could even degenerate to "How big a cork dya need up your $#*@ when you sail..."

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:18   #41

Dang, a 360 in a ketch?

I did a 360 in a rowboat once trying to hit the beach. I'll never forget watching the horizon spin around when that wave got me.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:21   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
OOH YEAH!... Let's all be scared!

Why do most humans always need to focus on tragities? They flock to car crashes and buy more newspapers when there is a "horrible tragity" on the front page.
They like living in a state of fear and seeing the other guy get messed up.
Not wanting to be a "victum" causes a lot of folks to lead boring, unfulfilled lives. **** happens. Get over it. Don't be a scared little bunny. Get out there and live. You're going to die anyway.
Not to say that you should be careless... but don't be frightened to the point of paralysis.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:37   #43

I have done survival at sea training a few times with NOAA. One thing they warned me about is getting tangled up in rigging. If a boat is going down, it will take you with it. In this case it looks like the captain's safety harness kept him from being pulling back onboard. I have almost died 2 different times at sea. Both cases I reacted just in time and made the right descision. Looking back, I wonder how many cat lives I still have left. Sailing, and for that matter just being at sea, is not for the risk-adverse.
beowulfborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:13   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Accidents vary. No safety equipment can prepare for everything. Yes seatbelts have saved lives in crashes, but I know of several that died because they WERE wearing their seatbelt.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:20   #45

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Accidents vary. No safety equipment can prepare for everything. Yes seatbelts have saved lives in crashes, but I know of several that died because they WERE wearing their seatbelt.

I know a guy who died in a car accident because he was NOT talking on his cell phone. Just kidding.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote