Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2013, 04:12   #61

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: S/V Primrose grounds and sinks on ICW near Ponce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
However, in the aerial shot it looks like they may have been over to close to the green and red can. In any case, it is in that area. Based on this Bing aerial (below), it looks like the best water would be to split the distance between the R18A and the GR can, just like the boat in the photo is. But that is just an educated guess--requires a careful approach, especially near low tide!

The best water here is close to a red nun. This is the stretch, going south, that leads to the turn to the George Munson Bridge. A few years ago the best water was close to the G/R can but a barge went aground there and altered the bottom in this area. You used to stick close to the G/R can but now the water is close to the Red Nun. I touched bottom here two years ago. THat was just after the barge had changed the bottom. And the boat following me went aground. This section is worse than the section in the ICW at Ponce.
Old 26-02-2013, 05:38   #62
cruiser

Quote:
If you look at the aerial shot I posted you can see the shoal building out clearly from near the R18, and the Notices to Mariners also identifies the area as having shoaling. However, in the aerial shot it looks like they may have been over to close to the green and red can. requires a careful approach, especially near low tide!

Of course it is their fault 100%, and they know that, but blame charts, notices to mariners and even colombo for discovering america.Like that grounding in bahamas cays recently. Problem is with this forum and most of them,(that is reason i am avoidig registration to any forum) that you are not allowed to tell the trouth in the face. You have to be "polite" and that crap.

And who needs Notices to Mariners when you have iphone, ipod, ipad, blackberry, strawberry, roseberry or some other fancy berry for navigation
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:15   #63

Boat: Endeavour 37' Sloop "A"

My condolences to the Primrose owner. Sometimes a sailor can navigate correctly and still be grounded. While motorsailing with the main to take advantage of an onshore breeze in our Endeavour 37 a few weeks ago, our keel (4.5' draft) bumped the bottom mid-channel in the exact spot of this sinking. The tide had begun to fall 1 hour earlier. Probably due to our shorter draft & angle of heel, we were spared a hard grounding. This is the second time I have hit bottom while in the intercoastal near Ponce Inlet. The previous bottom strike was mid-channel in the ICW north of the Primrose sinking. By the way, the Primrose followed local advice and used the recommended channel instead of another channel that leads to the ICW. Local knowledge says to enter Ponce Inlet, then head south towards New Smyrna Beach, and head north once the channel intersects the ICW- apparently what Primrose did. BTW, on the route south after running the inlet, a s/v passes a Coast Guard station directly port of the channel. The CG regularly moves navigation aids in this area- almost all the aids are temporary because shoaling constantly shifts. Ponce Inlet was dredged in 2005 & 2009 with maintenance dredging in 2011.
Rmiddaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:57   #64

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar View Post
that is reason i am avoidig registration to any forum
just out of curiosity, how did you manage to make 71 posts to this forum without registering?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:23   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
just out of curiosity, how did you manage to make 71 posts to this forum without registering?
I said I am "avoiding" not I never do that. I do from time to time. Most times I just read if there is something useful to be red on any particular forum and then move on.

Maybe because my poor English. I do not write very well. making lot of grammar mistakes and so on.

I am not American (cruiser), that I am fluent in several foreign languages like most of them back in the US or on this forum or if not here then they are on German or Italian "cruisers forums"
scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:31   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmiddaugh View Post
My condolences to the Primrose owner. Sometimes a sailor can navigate correctly and still be grounded. While motorsailing with the main to take advantage of an onshore breeze in our Endeavour 37 a few weeks ago, our keel (4.5' draft) bumped the bottom mid-channel in the exact spot of this sinking. The tide had begun to fall 1 hour earlier. Probably due to our shorter draft & angle of heel, we were spared a hard grounding. This is the second time I have hit bottom while in the intercoastal near Ponce Inlet. The previous bottom strike was mid-channel in the ICW north of the Primrose sinking. By the way, the Primrose followed local advice and used the recommended channel instead of another channel that leads to the ICW. Local knowledge says to enter Ponce Inlet, then head south towards New Smyrna Beach, and head north once the channel intersects the ICW- apparently what Primrose did. BTW, on the route south after running the inlet, a s/v passes a Coast Guard station directly port of the channel. The CG regularly moves navigation aids in this area- almost all the aids are temporary because shoaling constantly shifts. Ponce Inlet was dredged in 2005 & 2009 with maintenance dredging in 2011.
I think they were motoring south on the icw and making the turn south when they ran aground ...I saw them in Daytona Beach earlier in the day .
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 07:33   #67
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I said I am "avoiding" not I never do that. I do from time to time. Most times I just read if there is something useful to be red on any particular forum and then move on.

Maybe because my poor English. I do not write very well. making lot of grammar mistakes and so on.

I am not American (cruiser), that I am fluent in several foreign languages like most of them back in the US or on this forum or if not here then they are on German or Italian "cruisers forums"
Isn't Scimitar a Turkish sword? bit like my light saber?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:05   #68

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Isn't Scimitar a Turkish sword? bit like my light saber?
Yes. But it doesn't need batteries to remain effective... For you, LowBat's = Light Pen Knife, Non?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:02   #69
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Yes. But it doesn't need batteries to remain effective... For you, LowBat's = Light Pen Knife, Non?
You clearly need to brush up on things and spend some time on Wookieepedia (Diatium power cell - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki)

The lightsaber is powered by a diatium cell:

The diatium power cell was the primary power source for a lightsaber and one of the critical components of a lightsaber hilt. Located directly below and wired into the primary crystal mount, to which was affixed the weapon's primary focusing crystal, these types of power cells were in turn wrapped within the power field conductor, power vortex ring and an inert power insulator. The lightsaber's pommel cap and its recharging port were attached directly to the diatum cell.

Characteristics

Diatium power cells contained extremely concentrated amounts of trumponium gas that would form a plasma rod when heated. The beam of plasma produced from a lightsaber was contained by a type of magnetic or energy field that recycled the energy back into the diatium power cell when not in contact with other lightsabers or objects. This greatly conserved the energy of a diatium power cell, although it still needed occasional replacements.
Due to the power cell's natural recharging abilities (a recharge socket was usually required), it was ideal for a melee weapon such as a lightsaber. If assembled correctly, a power cell could last indefinitely and require no further maintenance from the operator.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:10   #70

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
If assembled correctly, a power cell could last indefinitely and require no further maintenance from the operator.
Just based on this last part of the description alone, I'm seeing a promising marketing opportunity for the marine world!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 09:29   #71

Better than Notices To Mariners is Active Captain when transiting the ICW. We always keep it available and review all "yellow" markers on the day's planned route before getting underway.

In this case the grounding spot is marked with the Notice text along with an astounding 36 warning comments. The most recent was Feb 2

"Hit violently between r19 and g18. Was on magenta line. It cleaned the kitchen. Next boat behind had the same experience. depth alarm never had a chance to go off"
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 16:02   #72

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The problem is there is no such thing as a "r19" or a "g18," and there is no marker even numbered 19 in the area. Typical of crowdsourced information.
Old 28-02-2013, 07:32   #73

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Quote:
ran aground during low tide in the Halifax River
-------------------------------------------------

another one using iphone, ipad, ipod, space shuttle, raspberry, strawberry, and apple pie berry for navigation.....

probably they never heard about charted depths or how to calculate times & heights of high & low waters at secondary ports or to calculate times or heights between high & low waters at any port.
my response: Just to enlighten the arm chair expert monday morning quarter back here, we have been sailing for 40 years, were using a chart plotter, 2 paper charts, a cruising guide and were using caution as suggested in the cruising guide, were in the marked channel. The hole is appartently the result of a repair called for in our purchase survey that was not adaquately completed. And... oh yes we have heard of charted depths. And I trust you sir have never run aground. "There are 2 types of sailors: those who have run aground and liers".
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 07:56   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Sorry for your loss msrcal36, I hope you were covered by insurance and that they will make you whole.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 09:05   #75

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

Quote:
When in doubt in the ICW, stick to the centerline of the marked channel!
When in doubt go slow and check depths always.

I was in the center of the channel when I went aground in Clear water on my Ericson.

There's a sunken bass boat in the channel near Beaumont which you'd probably hit in the center of the channel.

But then these folks probably weren't in doubt, but oblivious.
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw