Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 10:43   #1

Boat: K20+, SII
s/v 'Flight of Years' Solo Circumnavigation

Does anyone know if the lady managed to set sail on her solo circumnavigation (s/v Flight of Years) on New Years day as planned?

Solo-Sailor....One Woman's Solo-Circumnavigation of the World

(Seems a bit of a slow site to open)

https://www.kyoa.org.uk/

Kingfisher Yacht Owners association

stevelxls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:51   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Nothing posted yet ...
Her website (Ship’s Log) was last updated December 28/07, saying: The next words you'll read on this page will be posted January 1st 2008; the barometer reading, wind direction and velocity, wave conditions, my latitude and longitude and a description of Flight of Years coasting out of Steinhatchee, heading for Panama and around the world.
Check back here New Year's Day!
DATE OF EMBARKATION: January 1, 2008, 10:32 a.m.

Flight of Years - Ship's Log

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:44   #3

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
She had some electrical issues that turned out to be due to misleading advice from a vendor. Regardless, she got it sorted out (John Gambill from Hotwire's Home Page is the hero in this story, driving up to put eyes on the problem) and is/was planning to sail on the tide today. If I have the timing right she left around 1530Z.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 15:39   #4

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
She left with good winds.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 16:13   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Late Breaking News

We rec'd the following from Heather's dad yesterday:

Quote:
Hi Scott and Kit -
Heather left at noon today, into 22 knots, choppy seas and 24F for wind chill. Safe but miserable.

But she called us at 2pm, on her sat phone, to report all was well; she was on a broad reach and doing 5.6 - 5.7 knots - with a hull speed of only 5.7113. Very good indeed!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 02:07   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
with a hull speed of only 5.7113
Hello?! What size boat has that hull speed?

OK thats my short term memory problem as I've looked at her website before.... Flicka 20... as in 20 feet long.

Good luck to her My knees couldnt stand it...

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41   #7

She has turned back for repairs to hatchboards, transmission and harness. I expect we'll hear more once she gets back to land and can post something.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:36   #8

Boat: K20+, SII
Circumnavigation hits problems after a few days...

The lady has now updated her log after returning to home port after a few days. Interesting, honest and a very worthwhile read that should surely throw up a multitude of viewpoints for discussion.

Have a read Flight of Years - Ship's Log and see what you think. Then put yourself in her shoes and as a novice, what (if anything) would you have done differently?

https://www.kyoa.org.uk/

Kingfisher Yacht Owners association

stevelxls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:16   #9

Thumbs up No disrespect intended

The Lady (Heather)

Seems to be a romantic soul. Beginning with the reasons she is going, to her descriptions, prior to arriving back in port. I truely hope for the best for her. It takes a strong heart to venture out to circumnavigate in a 20 foot boat, and a lot of luck mixed in with, good planning to make it a successful venture.

My kinda gal!! I mean she has what my dad called "piss and vinegar" in her veins. (spunky) It's an admirable quality.

Pogo
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 08:50   #10

Boat: B24
<a strong heart to venture out to circumnavigate….>

Yep – I’ve scanned her website a few times with considerable interest… sounds like she is quite aware of the magnitude of her adventure and relishing the coming unknowns; however, I gathered she’d not characterize herself as an old salt…

It sounded like her “shakedown” cruise was a tad abbreviated and she was trusting that all things would work as designed… maybe my experience isn’t representative (and I ain’t an old salt either – just old…), but I’ve never had a boat that became immediately predictable or responsive … whether power or sail, it seems like it usually takes me about half a year of regular use (time away from the dock) before things smooth out and I get down to just normal maintenance of wear and tear issues… so, it doesn’t surprise me that she used her (still) nearby port to resolve an issue or two – smart lady…
Old 16-01-2008, 21:45   #11
Rez

She's sure as hell an enormously honest person.

"Have a good time, do as little damage as you can." Harold Coby
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 22:19   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Its a good account of sea sickness and what it does to your mind and will. As everyone says you just want to die.
But thats only the first time you get sea sick that bad. Then after you realise that no matter how bad you feel you won't actually die... you just want t! LOL Then seasickness becomes easier (for me) and now it dont happen at all.

She is incredable brave to be that honest in her log: read it here Flight of Years - Ship's Log

Funnily enough some people put so much preasure on themselves "I'm going around the world, see me off on March 15 at 5.45pm". Thats fine if you've been to sea before but not the first time. Not the first time when you havent gotten sea sick before, or before you know your boat locks you out whenever you go on deck...

Now she will have lost a lot of confidence in herself which she will have to build up again by her self. I bet she will. But next time I bet she leaves quietly without inviting anyone to the dock.

There is one thing she should feel more confident about now: her boat. Sat there untended, hove to, and in a reasonable breeze and swell, quite happily and safely.

they must be good little 20 foot boats.

mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 10:21   #13

realization sets in eventually

Sometimes I would rather be handling a rattlesnake, over being in the cockpit and then, the water lays down and a breeze skims me along with ease, the sun comes out and it is sheer heaven.
40+ years on the oceans water and I am still amazed at its many moods.

It is much better she got a reality indoctrination where and when it did.

Now if she goes back out, she'll most likely be just fine. If she doesn't go back to it, at least she will not have spent a lot of time and energy fruitlessly.
Either way, she got something out of this experience, a dose of reality that will give her a greater appreciation for those that have accomplished circumnavigations, and a respect for the sea.

I hope she steps up and goes forward. My instincts tell me she will make a fine sailor. BRAVO to her for even considering it.

Pogo
Old 17-01-2008, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez View Post
She's sure as hell an enormously honest person.
Yep, she isn't hiding anything. (most of us have had those feelings too, one time or another.)
Old 20-03-2008, 07:34   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Flight of Years for Sale

We have just learned that Heather has made a decision to sell "Flight of Years" and abandon her efforts after learning that an injury she sustained shortly before her original departure is much wore than originally thought and that surgery and a long re-hab will be required.

As many of us probably know, major decisions made when one is ill or injured, and despondent, can--and many do- later prove to have been unwise. If anyone cares, it would be good to click up to her site and send her a message of encouragement. A little spirit building from the community might be helpful.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation