Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 14:46   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Which brings up the subject of salvage rights. If someone gets to her before you, will the insurance pay up?

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...age-37788.html
Or... more importantly would the Insurance cover you to Charter a boat and skipper to take you and a crew out to get her yourself..... 90 - 100miles aint far and they can act as safety boat on the return..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 15:46   #92
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW: The rescued delivery crew were:
Chase Duran from White City, Oklahoma
and
Rowan Wagner from Camden, Maine.
Dang, you're good Gord! So why would these guys split the country? Man, I just hate when a (maybe) perfectly good boat gets abandoned. They are like a lady left behind.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 16:28   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
So why would these guys split the country?
That's the bit I don't get either; you don't get hanged for making a bad decision in panic, which presumably it was. And why on earth would they take that SPOT tracking device?

Were they company deliverers or a private recommendation? Either way you'd think they can be tracked. PS Sorry about the loss Celadon, but I'd say this thing has a way to run yet.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:21   #94

The owner's comments as to the missing yacht - why didn't you send a tow/salvage vessel to the site attended to by the tanker Atlantic Leo and the USCG.? You knew its position!. It was 90 miles off.

[Off-topic material deleted]

Is this owner to be believed over the yacht's impeccable condition while under -insured. Usually insurance claims are handled privately & often thro attorneys, not in the public eye of slandering sailors onboard who encountered problems!

[Off topic material deleted]

So what are the reasons for older yachts being under insured ?
commentator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:53   #95

[Off topic material deleted]

This then raises the issue as to why wasn't this top executive in a brand new Beneteau, rather than a 1991 model?
As Shakespeare would say " he doth protest too much!" Absolutely no compassion for what the people on board might have endured or lost in possessions left behind!
With all the access [the yacht owner's company] had to "officaldom", exactly when did the owner(s) learn of the situation ? Did they not choose to let the yacht go, relying on their insurance. even if less than what felt they had invested in this aging sailboat
problem? Just doesn't add up ? This is the third disaster in a month en route to Bermuda -the s/v " Emma Goldman" out of Martha's Vineyard, and the 88 ft schooner "Raw Faith" which flooded and went down after leaving Salem Massachusetts.
Old 14-12-2010, 21:19   #96

Boat: Beneteau 393
I wish I could come up with something witty to say that wouldn't get deleted, but I can't. So all I'll say is it's a little much to be sharing all that personal info on someone, even if you can look it up. I'd also say it's a little uncouth to make accousations like the ones above without actual meat to back it up. (And IMO some are just silly!)

Way I see it, some guy lost his boat. Bummer!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 21:22   #97

The USCG believes in saving human beings whose lives are irreplaceable, unlike a boat hull which can be replaced. You are on the wrong page at the wrong time!
Old 14-12-2010, 21:43   #98
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Commentator,

You seem to have some interesting information, but maybe you'd care to explain why 2 guys bailed from a boat that was sinking....but is still floating 18 days later? How does that reflect on the owner? He wasn't there. Your information is unimportant, unless you'd care to make your point more clear?
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 23:41   #99

Boat: Pearson 281
This is getting a bit strange...I love the moniker of the "deep throat" in these posts... commentator who seems to have signed on just for the purpose of providing the audience with a "reveal" on Celdons' (even the name of the boat conjurs up a sense of exotic mystery)owner. Then there's the storyline of the yachts abandonment, the unutilized redundancy in emergency beacon equipment and the subsequent disappearence of the delivery crew after their rescue.
Call me flip but...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 00:17   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
fishy fissures in the deep blue sea......would have thought the crew would have left the tracker and held onto the epirb ......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 01:34   #101

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
I love the moniker of the "deep throat" in these posts... commentator who seems to have signed on just for the purpose of providing the audience with a "reveal"
And a good thing too, since I would also love to find out how a boat abandoned under mayday can still be afloat weeks later..

So these delivery types can just abandon ship and go back to their (landlocked!) home state when they get a bit seasick or something?
Old 15-12-2010, 05:49   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Commentator,

You seem to have some interesting information, but maybe you'd care to explain why 2 guys bailed from a boat that was sinking....but is still floating 18 days later? How does that reflect on the owner? He wasn't there. Your information is unimportant, unless you'd care to make your point more clear?
What hard evidence is there that she's still afloat- no information as to who sighted her, latitude & longitude, and off what country?. There's no official independent announcement to confirm this. The owner's announcement and entry into the fray of cruiser forum postings is without merit.

[off-topic material deleted]

The owner is clearly on a vendetta. If this was his "grandfather's boat", he could well have afforded to put her on a ship transport!
Old 15-12-2010, 06:07   #103
CLOD

Boat: none
is this the story line for the next Tom Clancy book?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 06:08   #104

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Commentator -- I'm not sure if I follow. . . . You're saying Brian Clark paid his delivery crew to intentionally scuttle the boat, so he could collect the insurance? A bit risky the way they ran it, in that case. If the USCG had offered to come aboard with pumps, they would have seen the open seacocks. Seems if one were running that scam, you would thoroughly sink the boat, get into the raft, then call for help. Or at least make sure the boat was well on its way down before calling for help.

The 3 inches of water thing seems inconsistent with intentional scuttling.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 06:11   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, commentator.

How do you come to have such an interest in this owner, if nothing else on the Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by commentator View Post
... The owner is clearly on a vendetta ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote