Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2010, 08:19   #121

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I am glad this thread has been restored if only so that we might find out a little more about the cause of the difficulty aboard the yacht if that is possible. Presumably the delivery crew that abandoned the yacht must have given fairly detailed statements to the CG in their debrief and, presumably, the owner will become privey to that information sooner or later and will share what he learns.

On the matter of 3" of water in the yacht, whether that was 3" total or 3" above the floor-boards was never made clear. In either case, however, on the B45 that would be managable--inconvenient but managable--particularly if, with periodic pumping, it was holding steady.

We have a similar yacht and on a trip a few years ago I discovered several inches of water in a normally bone dry bilge. A quick check of all the ususal suspects did not reveal the source of the water but it was reasonably easily controlled and we motor sailed to our destination, arriving 12-14 hours later. A subsequent investigation revealed that a broken tie-down in the bustle had allowed excessive movement in the exhaust hose which cracked at the edge of its connection to the through-hull. This allowed water into the bustle, and thence below-decks, even when we were not running the engine. RUnning the engine made the inflow worse but, of course, ensured plenty of power for the pumps. An hour or two of work was all that it took to temporarily effect a fix and we later replaced the entire exhaust hose--which proved to be a real trial.

FWIW I think a delivery crew that does not have a vested interest in a yacht will be much less willing to make the effort to preserve a boat than will an owner and that may be the primary reason why the yacht was abandoned. Hopefully the owner will be able to effect a recovery.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 08:28   #122

SPOT belonged to sailors,& they brought along a friend's manual EPIRB

Time to politely set the record straight. The sailors are represented by US based professional maritime attorneys. Therefore the sailors may not comment. These attorneys are processing the insurance claims. Please respect these legal processes & constraints on any comments by the sailors.
The sailors wearing life jackets swam one at a time to a single helicopter basket lowered two times by the USCG. The USCG crew did not enter the water.
The sailors managed to take with them only the SPOT which THEY had purchased . (It was not part of the boat/ owner's property) All of the rest of their valuable gear was left aboard.
There was not a hyrdostatically releasable EPIRB secured in the cockpit and registered to the yacht's owner. The manualy operated EPIRB carried on board by the sailors was not registered to, nor did it belong to the yacht /its owner. The EPIRB number was given to the USCG. All of this information had been set forth on the yacht pre-clearance form for entry into Bermuda.
There was no single side band radio or weather fax equipment on board. There was a life raft, and its number was given to the USCG in the event it deployed. The manual EPIRB number was given to the USCG also. It was not the owner's / yacht's. It had been borrowed by the sailors.
The pre clearance fax contained the yacht's numbers, equipment, and their registration numbers. All of this information was provided to the USCG.
The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request takes twenty business days, and all private information & names is whited out.
The sailors are prohibited by their attorneys from making any comments during the period of settlement of the claims involved in this incident.

Old 17-12-2010, 08:36   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbour buff View Post
... The sailors are prohibited by their attorneys from making any comments during the period of settlement of the claims involved in this incident.
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, harbour buff.

This sounds, to me, as though one of the sailors is not entirely complying with his attorney's prohibition (advice).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 08:55   #124

this post is NOT from one of the sailors, and is explaining why they cannot be provoked into replying to the 19 unedited postings by Boatman 61 whose 2,235 postings to Cruisers Forum are unenlightened and contain repeated obscenities. The Cruisers Forum is a respectable website containing valuable information about many technical problems .
Old 17-12-2010, 08:58   #125

Quote:
. These attorneys are processing the insurance claims. Please respect these legal processes & constraints on any comments by the sailors.
When I was pricing insurance for my boat for crossing the Atlantic in the early 90's I was required to have 4 experienced crew aboard including myself. Maybe the requirements are less restrictive today for ocean going??
Old 17-12-2010, 09:07   #126

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Harbour Buff -- thanks for filling in a few more of the blanks in the interesting case. We're all a bit mystified as to why and how it all unfolded (in hopes of learning how to prevent similar in the future), so we're grateful for all new information.
Old 17-12-2010, 09:14   #127
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
i find boatman61's posts rather amusing and enlightend from a "school of hard knocks" point of view rather than the "arm chair"variety.

but then again we are back to the subjective negativity so common on this forum.
Old 17-12-2010, 09:22   #128
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
this post is NOT from one of the sailors, and is explaining why they cannot be provoked into replying to the 19 unedited postings by Boatman 61 whose 2,235 postings to Cruisers Forum are unenlightened and contain repeated obscenities. The Cruisers Forum is a respectable website containing valuable information about many technical problems .
Interesting in that a new person's second posting they trash someone giving reason that they trashed someone else in 2235 postings. But I am impressed that a new member has read 2235 of a members postings. I bet the rest of us will now be on our best behavior.

welcome to CF
Old 17-12-2010, 09:23   #129
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:

Ohhhhh... You are rough.... but I like it....
I take it your not familiar with the lowlife dockside bars I hang out in then...
I think I'm an angel on here....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 09:33   #130

Harbour Buff -- at the moment it certainly looks like the two crew members had a rough sail in the Gulf Stream, then saw some water coming in, and decided to get off the boat in the easiest way possible. It's not a shining moment of courageous seamanship, but it's also not the first time such a thing has ever occurred. Now it looks like they are hiding behind lawyers to keep their liability at a minimum. If the truth is different from this scenario in some substantive way, we would be very glad to hear your input, as you seem to know a lot of the boat-side particulars.
Old 17-12-2010, 09:46   #131

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
The sailors managed to take with them only the SPOT which THEY had purchased . (It was not part of the boat/ owner's property) All of the rest of their valuable gear was left aboard.
Hopefully enlightened suggestion....
On their next Delivery tell them to take along a waterproof (dry) ditch bag each for their valuables... it can even double as an aid to flotation... and easy to get winched up with to boot...
One or two of us use them all the time...

Born To Be Wild
Old 17-12-2010, 10:27   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
One thing that I'm going to be sure to install on my boat is a Fast Flow submersible pump mounted on the propeller shaft as described in another thread not too long ago. Not to hijack the thread, does anyone have experience with one of these? Seems that in a case like the one being discussed in this thread such a pump could have saved the day.
I'll PM you.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 10:28   #133

Boat: Beneteau First 45f5 - Celadon
Per the owner of the EPIRB that was onboard, the unit has a hydrostatic switch on it and it just transmitted yesterday morning, so the attorney's information is not correct.
Old 17-12-2010, 10:45   #134

Celadon -- does that mean what I think it means? Has she sunk after all this time?
Old 17-12-2010, 10:57   #135

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
Celadon -- does that mean what I think it means? Has she sunk after all this time?
Or just been rolled... depends if they closed her up before abandoning....

Born To Be Wild

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: