Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2010, 20:23   #151
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I have never been in a situation where there was 3 inches of water over the floorboards but I can imagine it would be pure hell. That water would be shorting out the batteries, the charts would be wet, food would be wet, everybody aboard would be wet and cold, engine probably wouldn't start and if it did it would be spraying water all over everything...

90 miles could look like a long, long way. Glad they got off okay.

Old 18-12-2010, 04:01   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn’t expect any of the calamities DeepFrz mentions, from water 3" above the sole.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 07:29   #153

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I wouldn’t expect any of the calamities DeepFrz mentions, from water 3" above the sole.

Amen!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 07:46   #154
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
depends on where your batteries are
Old 18-12-2010, 07:56   #155

Boat: '70 Soverel 33 (v.1)
Hey "Harbour Buff", do you know "Commentator"?
Old 18-12-2010, 08:17   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Don--

Perhaps it is "old school" thinking but I believe it is almost inevitable that a yacht will, sooner or later, have flooding issues minor or major. With that in mind, it is wise to have (at least some of) one's batteries and electrics as high as reasonably possible to ensure that things like bilge pumps will work as long as possible under the circumstances. Others may (certainly will) disagree. Different ships, different long splices...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 18-12-2010, 08:28   #157
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Don--

Perhaps it is "old school" thinking but I believe it is almost inevitable that a yacht will, sooner or later, have flooding issues minor or major. With that in mind, it is wise to have (at least some of) one's batteries and electrics as high as reasonably possible to ensure that things like bilge pumps will work as long as possible under the circumstances. Others may (certainly will) disagree. Different ships, different long splices...
I agree and was replying to the "not a problem with 3" water above the sole". On my current boat this would not be a problem. On the boat I'm currently looking at the batteries are under the sole, so............
Old 18-12-2010, 08:40   #158

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
seems there is a delicate balance to be struck in terms of battery placement, as low as possible because all the weight is good down low but not low enough that they will flood with minimal amounts of water
Old 18-12-2010, 08:47   #159

Quote:
I agree and was replying to the "not a problem with 3" water above the sole". On my current boat this would not be a problem. On the boat I'm currently looking at the batteries are under the sole, so............
Ah... Batteris under the sole. Not a good idea although, from a weight and balance perspective, some will (certainly) disagree.

A few years ago a marina neighbor of ours effectively lost his IP 46 when the 1250 Ah of batteries installed under the sole of his yacht were submerged. Evidently, the failure of his electrics was his first indication that something was amiss. It was later determined that a float switch had failed and water inflow from a cracked through-hull connection accumulated until it immersed the batteries. A grounding was all that kept the yacht from sinking entirely. Insurance covered his damages to some extent but the boat will never be the same and the stigma of having been partially submerged blew the resale value.

FWIW...
Old 18-12-2010, 09:24   #160

Boat: Beneteau First 45f5 - Celadon
I've seen several boats with batteries down low--particularly some that are configured with the engine battery positioned below, or partially below, the floorboards. While it is nice to have as much weight down low as possible, when you're talking about boats weighing what they do (in my case 24,000lbs), I just don;t think it really matters a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. My battery bank is/was in a watertight box and my guess is it was about 6" above the level of the floor boards--i.e. there would need to be 18-20" of water throughout the boat in order to be at a level that would begin to make contact with the battery terminals. That's just how mine was designed and hadn't really thought about it until these questions had been raised. When outfitting to deal with things like water ingress, I have both manual and automatic electric bilge pumps and a spare electric and manual hand pump on board. Hadn't thought the next step through that if the batteries were soaked, you're out of luck with the electric pumps, so good thing that the builder designed it in a way that had them at a reasonably high point.
Old 18-12-2010, 11:28   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
This seems odd. I have an old racer where the batteries sit on the hull close to the motor. But the compartment they're in is sealed inside with FG and the cables run out the upper portion, plus the batteries are in plastic boxes. So it would take at least a foot of water above the floor boards for the water to even reach the starter on the motor.

I would think that manufacturers would calculate for some flooding in the construction.
Even the battery above the starter in a plastic box would give some time for repairs and pumps.

This certainly gives one something to think about when doing repairs or installations! Which could lead to a new thread..........

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 16:35   #162
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Interesting in that a new person's second posting they trash someone giving reason that they trashed someone else in 2235 postings. But I am impressed that a new member has read 2235 of a members postings. I bet the rest of us will now be on our best behavior.

welcome to CF

Fast reader I guess.
Old 18-12-2010, 17:20   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Water 3" above the sole shouldn't be a problem on most boats sitting dockside or anchored in a sheltered location. Water 3" above the sole would be a completely different thing in a rough sea. Imagine healing over 30 deg. and back up to level and at the same time pitching on a wave with that much water loose in your boat.

I have heard stories from people with round bottom boats with no bilges that complain of water going everywhere when just a few gallons are spilled. A boat I sailed on in the Caribbean had NO bilge and it would have been horrendous with that much water sloshing around. The batteries were above the sole but would have been drenched as would the engine and pretty much everything else.
Old 18-12-2010, 17:30   #164
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Water 3" above the sole shouldn't be a problem on most boats sitting dockside or anchored in a sheltered location. Water 3" above the sole would be a completely different thing in a rough sea. Imagine healing over 30 deg. and back up to level and at the same time pitching on a wave with that much water loose in your boat.

I have heard stories from people with round bottom boats with no bilges that complain of water going everywhere when just a few gallons are spilled. A boat I sailed on in the Caribbean had NO bilge and it would have been horrendous with that much water sloshing around. The batteries were above the sole but would have been drenched as would the engine and pretty much everything else.
a floating jacuzzi.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 17:55   #165
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post

My CS36M is like that. Very flat bottom with no bilge sump. All the water runs to the low side. I had a leak once (cockpit drain hose) and I had to stop sailing to pump the bilge. All the water kept on going to the low side ( I was beating) and would have run up into the saloon cupboards! Very poor design. In later ones they put in a small sump. Marginally better.

Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: