Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2010, 12:15   #136

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Or she's awash.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:07   #137

I have only the data I was to have faxed on the pre entry form as I was not there. I do not know what occurred. I was merely the faxing agent as the yacht in question did not have the means of communication to send this at the pre-requisite time & distance out of Bermuda on the day preceding the anticipated day of arrival - no satellite phone, no single sideband radio w/ pactor connection for emails thro "sailmail". Bermuda Radio online forms require faxing/emailing. I was instructed to cancel the fax !!
harbour buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:31   #138

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Wow. there are so many lessons learned on this thread. I appreciate it being kept open for further discourse.

Celadon, I feel very sorry for your loss and at the risk of sounding heartless, what is/was the last position of the boat when the EPIRB automatically started sending? I'm just curious how far she drifted after she was abandoned.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 13:50   #139

I do have the EPIRB vin number,but do not yet have the data base to check if and when it went off, and at what location. I do not know how one accesses this information ? I have never seen an EPIRB. Does the USCG make an announcement when one goes off?
And the older hand held personal devices may be registered to a person, not to a boat ? The 15 digit number I have on record begins with 2D and ends in FF should that indicate its type & vintage?
Old 17-12-2010, 13:56   #140

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I've been wondering where she wound up, too, and I hope eventually Celadon will share that info. I can understand if there's a hope she's still afloat the owner doesn't want to broadcast the position if there's any chance of recovering her himself.

Anyway . . . by drift alone I was guessing she might have wound up near the Flemish Cap or somewhere south of the Grand Banks. But she had some sail up at last sighting, so her course may be very strange.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 14:32   #141

Flemish Cap ! That's the local for the Andrea Gale's last fishing expedition in the Perfect Storm. Also over in Iceberg Alley where the "iceberg cowboys" use 4,000ft lines to lasoo the icebergs away from the oil platforms off the SE coast of Newfoundland. Titanic graveyard too !
The Celadon owner posting on line said on post #72 "there was an EPIRB on board (but not activated)....and if the EPIRB had been lashed to the deck...... And on post #88 he posts " I am unable to reach them...don't know where they are at. My insurance company has been unsuccessful as well....." dated Dec 14, in the week FOLLOWING the sailors' attorneys taking over with owner's insurance company. Maybe Celadon's owner online needs to call his insurance company,instead of maligning the sailors as "cut & run" !!
Old 17-12-2010, 14:38   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
2d....nn is its uin number ie its unique registration number.
falmouth coast guard cornwall uk are the world wide co-ordinators for global sar.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 14:54   #143

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
For what it's worth, Celadon has not said the crew cut and run. Some of us forum members have said that, but I don't recall Celadon making any such accusation.He only seems to be seeking answers.

And yeah -- Flemish Cap is too far. But a NE drift on the Gulf Stream at 1+ knots might after 22 days bring her to somewhere SE of Nova Scotia.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 15:28   #144
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadon View Post
Crew was taken to the Coast Guard Air Station at Elizabeth City, NC. I am not able to reach them and don't know where they are at. My insurance company has been unsuccessful as well since they are trying obtain their account of the events, but have relayed to me that they were told the crew left the country. The Coast Guard has it all transcribed from the communications, which they've read to me over the phone. Lots of Red tape though--I actually had to file a Freedom of Information Act request in order to get the case report on my own vessel, but that's the way it works.
Celadon did not say the crew cut n run, he said his insurance company was told that they had left the country.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 16:25   #145

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbour buff View Post
I have only the data I was to have faxed on the pre entry form as I was not there. I do not know what occurred. I was merely the faxing agent as the yacht in question did not have the means of communication to send this at the pre-requisite time & distance out of Bermuda on the day preceding the anticipated day of arrival - no satellite phone, no single sideband radio w/ pactor connection for emails thro "sailmail". Bermuda Radio online forms require faxing/emailing. I was instructed to cancel the fax !!
Since you don't know any of the details beyond being the "faxing agent", I might suggest that you are like the blind man touching the trunk of an elephant and making conclusions as to what type of animal it is.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 16:57   #146

Quote:
Time to politely set the record straight. The sailors are represented by US based professional maritime attorneys....
The sailors managed to take with them only the SPOT which THEY had purchased.
Thanks harbour buff, that responds directly to my two queries in earlier posts. Specifically, the SPOT was theirs to take; and second, the sailors haven't vanished (which is in fact contrary to Celadon's suggestion in post #75).

Goes to demonstrate again the veracity of the adage: if it's a choice between a stuff up and a conspiracy, it'd be the stuff up every time.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 17:03   #147

Quote:
this post is NOT from one of the sailors, and is explaining why they cannot be provoked into replying to the 19 unedited postings by Boatman 61 whose 2,235 postings to Cruisers Forum are unenlightened and contain repeated obscenities.
That's just plain silly: Boatman 61's postings to Cruisers Forum aren't unenlightened and obscene - he's just an ol' pommie b*****d.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 17:09   #148

Boat: Pearson 281
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 17:27   #149

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
61 out of 2235 is pretty good!
Old 17-12-2010, 18:55   #150
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadon View Post
Per the owner of the EPIRB that was onboard, the unit has a hydrostatic switch on it and it just transmitted yesterday morning, so the attorney's information is not correct.
So far, this seems to be the only evidence that Celadon possibly sank. It must have been a very slow leak. I think the crew had plenty of time to make the 90 miles back to shore.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote