Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 16:07   #16

Boat: 1991 Catalina 42; 2008 BMW R 1200 GS
Re: RNC closes bridges on Florida's Gulf Coast for a week

I'm under the impression that the lion's share of concern is to keep traffic moving, and these "security zones" will preempt protesters from using drawbridge openings to slow or even stop traffic.

Individual and group pedestrian movement along the gulf beaches should remain unaffected. People crossing Gulf Blvd during the rush hours should still expect traffic to stop and accommodate their crossings.

I received this update from the Coast Guard, today. Chief Petty Officer Silverstein assures mariners that they will receive an official notice soon.

Quote:
Thank you for your email. Given the pace at which we have been receiving information, periodic updates to Federal Security Zones have been required.

Because the brochures were printed prior to the availability of certain information, we also sent out an updated press release containing the most comprehensive information. That resulted in an array of TV pieces and printed articles. You can access that here:
Coast Guard establishes 15 additional federal security zones during RNC

In addition, we sent out a Port Community Information Bulletin signed by the Captain of the Port, including the drawbridge information. Additionally, the emergency Temporary Final Rule will be posted in the Federal Register. We will also broadcast a Notice to Mariners.

We understand that these rules require adjustments. However, our proactive security stance helps address the safety needs on our region's waterways.

We appreciate your interest and patience.

With respect,
Chief Petty Officer J.L. Silverstein
RNC Waterways
Cell: 727.265,5353
Old 21-08-2012, 17:19   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

VP Biden apparently is scheduled to be in Tampa for some time during the RNC. With his Secret Service details ability to thoroughly close down traffic, it will add to the fun.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 17:52   #18

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "federal security zone.".
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 06:42   #19

Looks like Isaac might set up a security zone of its own bigger than the one in question and no one will care if the bridges are open or closed...
njwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:05   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It's for six days and they're giving everybody plenty of heads up and asking them to plan accordingly. In todays unfortunate climate I don't see it as a big deal. I know some will turn it purely political because it's the RNC but I'd support security for any potential presidential party.

It's going to be a colossal nuisance for boats with sticks on them, but I think it's unavoidable. The Don CeSar Hotel is right at the end of the Bayway Bridge and they have the most secure suite in the area for Presidential candidates. I was down here for a visit right before the 2004 elections, and the street roads were so high security (resulting in tremendous traffic backup) that I didn't see the beautiful beach area south of the Don CeSar (now the Loew's Don CeSar) until after I moved here. Both presidential and vice-presidential candidates visited during the week I was here, and they always stayed there.

I wouldn't be surprised if Romney's staying there. These are the times we live in.

Personally I won't be taking my boat out during that period. Life is just too unpredictable on a sailboat. It's hard to be certain when you'll be getting back in as "things happen."
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 07:38   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Ya know guys..... they close the various bridges and waterways for Gasparilla, 4th of July, and "routine" Presidential visits........... For that matter, bridges all over the ICW routinely restrict openings for EVERYDAY traffic at certain hours. Get Over It!

Society imposes rules for order all the time that restrict your "rights" (i.e. yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater). You de facto accept the societal rules by virtue of choosing to live in that society If you want it your way all the time, become a hermit and live away from society.

This thread was started to advise mariners about the closings well in advance of it happening so they can plan accordingly. Further political discourse will either result in its closure AND/OR penalties being assigned to the offenders.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:48   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by njwtech View Post
Looks like Isaac might set up a security zone of its own bigger than the one in question and no one will care if the bridges are open or closed...

Someone high up in the NRP just said (when asked what their hurricane plan was) "We don't think it's coming, but if it does, we'll protect our people." They don't want to see what the plan is.

But people in this area also need to know, if they don't, that bascule bridges will not open at a certain point -- I think it's when winds reach 35 mph but people who need to move their boats through a bridge to get it outta Dodge or to a "hurricane hole" would be smart to find out what that point is.

All in all next week may not be the best time to sail in the Tampa Bay area ...
Old 22-08-2012, 07:49   #23
cruiser

That should have been "they don't want to SAY ..."

Also, if they have to move bigwigs out of the Don CeSar Hotel, the bridge closings may change.
Old 22-08-2012, 07:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Ya know guys..... they close the various bridges and waterways for Gasparilla, 4th of July, and "routine" Presidential visits........... For that matter, bridges all over the ICW routinely restrict openings for EVERYDAY traffic at certain hours. Get Over It!

Society imposes rules for order all the time that restrict your "rights" (i.e. yelling "FIRE" in a movie theater). You de facto accept the societal rules by virtue of choosing to live in that society If you want it your way all the time, become a hermit and live away from society.

This thread was started to advise mariners about the closings well in advance of it happening so they can plan accordingly. Further political discourse will either result in its closure AND/OR penalties being assigned to the offenders.
yes yes yes - advance warning so people can plan is the most useful takeaway from this post, so thanks for that. But citizens of a free country don't have to like it. We need to see the whole security circus for what it is. A little pushback is healthy.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:23   #25

Notice that the bridge closures are temporary both of hour and of day. And you know, it isn't simply the RNC but the New Black Panthers and OWS will be there as well as Biden. Don't forget the NBP several times have threaten to kill people and the damage done by OWS.

A few tall masts Vs the people at large will go to the people. Happens more than I care in the aviation world (except Part 121).
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 08:40   #26

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

If they want security then they should come up closer to me in Pasco County. Fewer people, fewer roads (access), more swamp. Could access south Tampa faster too. Much more secure.

But then they would not be able to say they stayed at THE Don Cezaarrrh.

Or have the gulf view......

Old 22-08-2012, 08:47   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
A few tall masts Vs the people at large will go to the people. Happens more than I care in the aviation world (except Part 121).
Seems political parties and governments need protection FROM the people these days.

(Here in Canada, we hosted the G8/G20 in 2010, and they spent over a billion dollars for 5 days of "security". For all the good it did, it seems to me they could have just Skyped each other, and sent a billion to feed or house a few million disaster survivors. Ok I'll shaddup now.)
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2012, 09:17   #28

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

This may be interesting to watch if Isaac decides to attend the convention.
Old 22-08-2012, 09:25   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
This may be interesting to watch if Isaac decides to attend the convention.

I would gladly pass on that opportunity so Isaac would also not visit my boat.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:35   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I would gladly pass on that opportunity so Isaac would also not visit my boat.
Me too. It's too early to tell, but Issac may visit my boat after visiting yours.

BTW, hello from another JU alum.

Tags
florida