Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2009, 15:13   #31

Interesting update and development: BBC NEWS | Warships track 'hijacked yacht'

"A yacht has been spotted by the European Union Naval Force Somalia in the search for a British couple thought to have been captured by pirates.

A spokesman said their warships were in 'close vicinity' "
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 23:27   #32

Boat: Baba 35
Ransom alert over 'Hijacked Pair'
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Ransom alert over 'hijacked' pair

Quote:
Ransom alert over 'hijacked' pair
The family of a British couple feared kidnapped by Somali pirates have been warned a ransom would have to be paid for their safe return.
Paul and Rachel Chandler, aged 59 and 55, of Kent, sent a distress signal on Friday from the Indian Ocean. The yacht was later spotted by the European Union Naval Force Somalia. Hostage negotiator Dr James Alvarez said it was unlikely the couple would be harmed but their kidnappers would expect to get money for them. In a speech later at Chatham House, London, Mr Sharmarke said piracy was widely regarded as simply a criminal activity. But he said: "It is rarely seen for what it really is - a desperate survival measure and in many coastal communities the only job available and the only viable means of income."
Personally I found the statement above deplorable and completely inappropriate from a head of state representing a country responsible for all of this.
To insinuate that these Somalians Hijacking, terrorizing and in some cases murdering their captives is somehow a "Desperate survival measure" is absolute total garbage. So should we now say the same about bank robbers? Or anyone that chooses to victimize and steal from others for that matter?

There was a reason why pirates were hung from the gallows without trial for hundreds of years in times past, it was and still is a decision made by those that choose to commit crime by method of force rather than seeking a way to live by normal and civilized means. I am disgusted with any other premise.

If you took the AK47s out of these guys hands we would not be reading about this despicable act upon yet another fine sailing couple.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 04:42   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | 'Hijacked' pair's yacht is found
Old 29-10-2009, 05:04   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient View Post
Ransom alert over 'Hijacked Pair'
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Ransom alert over 'hijacked' pair

Personally I found the statement above deplorable and completely inappropriate from a head of state representing a country responsible for all of this.
To insinuate that these Somalians Hijacking, terrorizing and in some cases murdering their captives is somehow a "Desperate survival measure" is absolute total garbage. So should we now say the same about bank robbers? Or anyone that chooses to victimize and steal from others for that matter?
Why is deplorable to state the obvious? Something like 43% of Somalia lives below the poverty level -- and that's not poverty as we in the West define it, it's REAL, THIRD WORLD poverty. Piracy is a dangerous occupation and I seriously doubt anyone would take it up if there were real alternatives.

That doesn't for one second excuse the act nor should it discourage appropriate countermeasures and prosecution of the perpetrators.
Old 29-10-2009, 05:26   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
From sneuman ‘s news link*

The yacht belonging to a British couple feared kidnapped by Somali pirates has been found empty...
... The Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the yacht was discovered during counter-piracy operations on Wednesday night - but the couple were not on board.

The MoD stressed there is no reason to suspect the pair have come to harm.

The yacht, the Lynn Rival, was found in international waters and has been secured by the Royal Navy...”

* ➥ BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | 'Kidnapped' pair's yacht is found

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 08:10   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI

until now, I hadn't looked closely at their route. From the looks, they hugged the Yemeni/Omani coasts and doubled back to the Seychelles in what would appear to be an attempt to circumvent the Somali coast. Tough break.

"UK couple asleep as Somali pirates hijacked yacht

"By MOHAMED OLAD HASSAN
"Associated Press Writer
"MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) - A British man kidnapped by Somali pirates while vacationing on a yacht with his wife said in an interview released Thursday that the sea bandits had crept aboard with guns while he was asleep and demanded money."

EDIT: To read the rest of the AP story, go to:

http://news.aol.com/article/uk-coupl...pirates/742659

On the Net:

Lynn Rival's voyages - Rachel and Paul Chandler
Old 29-10-2009, 13:23   #38

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
and at BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Yacht couple 'well and being fed'
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 03:40   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
They raped the boat and set it adrift and now want ransom. So the cruisers have lost everything. Wheras crews on ships lose nothing personally.

I'm wondering if I shouldnt change my conviction for this one passage and take a weapon. I am an ex army infantry officer so I would take a couple out first.

If we lose the lot who would want to go back and work for the rest of my life? I'd rather die.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 07:02   #40
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
There was an accident a year or two ago where a cruiser skilled with a shotgun repelled the pirates and actually killed them all. Authorities protected them the rest of the way because there was fear of retaliation from family or members. I think the pirates were from Yemen.
So, it is possible to resist with good results. Close range, continuous rate of fire and skilled marksmanship were the key in that incident.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 13:42   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
There was an accident a year or two ago where a cruiser skilled with a shotgun repelled the pirates and actually killed them all. Authorities protected them the rest of the way because there was fear of retaliation from family or members. I think the pirates were from Yemen.
So, it is possible to resist with good results. Close range, continuous rate of fire and skilled marksmanship were the key in that incident.

cheers,
Nick.
full story here
Sailing Magazine | That Pirate isn’t Johnny

apparently they rammed the pirate boats with their bow as well
those are some tough sailors
c-kow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 14:23   #42

Quote:
Somali pirates who have kidnapped a British couple have issued a ransom demand of $7m (Ł4.3m) in a call to the BBC.
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Kent | Ransom demanded for yacht couple
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 15:35   #43

Boat: Irwin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

cheers,
Nick.
I think before anyone gets too much bravado going you need to read the whole story. It was 4 years ago there were 2 boats both steel. I think this would give much better protection from bullets than most fiberglass boats. I think this group was lucky the videos I have seen on the news shows the pirates are better armed with shoulder fired rockets. I think it is great this group was able to defend themselves, I am a 3rd degree black belt but I know my limitations and I know it is more important to avoid a conflict they to try to fight your way out. I just would hate for anyone to head out thinking they could fight their way out. Just my 2 cents

Wayne Canning, AMS
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 16:02   #44

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
Okay, I've really got to ask the obvious here. If you go cruising personal enjoyment, exactly why would you really be in this area known for numerous attacks on yachts and ships?

I mean, it's bad enough heading up to the Red Sea, and yes, I understand the hazards and time requirements for a S. African Cape rounding but this is really hard for me to understand. At least, sailing in company seems wise here. Perhaps they really have friends and family in Tanzania but it sure doesn't seem to be a very good choice of destinations these days.

I imagine that folks going into this known area either don't think it can happen to them or figure they'll just take their chances. Personally, I'd rather take my chances around the Southern Capes, but then, that's just me...
i'm probably stepping in it... but i can't believe that folks (and latitude38) are so quick to question the Chandler's for going to sea. we're not talking about the straits of malacca or the straits of hormuz. we're talking about a 1/4 of a million square mile patch of the indian ocean. for someone who's spent some time on the open ocean... it doesn't strike me as crazy to think that a lone sailboat would be safe from pirates in a patch of water that large.
our prayers are with them.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009, 20:01   #45
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I think before anyone gets too much bravado going you need to read the whole story. It was 4 years ago there were 2 boats both steel. I think this would give much better protection from bullets than most fiberglass boats. I think this group was lucky the videos I have seen on the news shows the pirates are better armed with shoulder fired rockets. I think it is great this group was able to defend themselves, I am a 3rd degree black belt but I know my limitations and I know it is more important to avoid a conflict they to try to fight your way out. I just would hate for anyone to head out thinking they could fight their way out. Just my 2 cents
I agree. As I wrote: close range, continuous rate of fire and skilled marksmanship were the key in that incident. Steel hulls were not a factor because the pirates were suppressed by the continuous fire at close range. Also, they could not avoid the conflict, they were in the middle of it. Being kidnapped by pirates is not a trivial matter, but some seem to think it's better to let them take you and just hope your family can find some miracle to come up with the ransom. My family couldn't, so I better be good with the shotgun, it's that easy and that serious.

As it is becoming apparent, there is no easy way to avoid these criminals anymore for cruisers that want to circumnavigate. The only option is to sail those long legs in bad weather. It is beyond my comprehension why the worlds governments allow this to happen. These pirate groups should be dealt with, deadly and swiftly and decisive. It could be done in a week. History has proven that to be the only effective measure against pirates.

Now we have to hope and see if the ransom demands can be met... again.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epirb, piracy, Somalia