Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 03:19   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Return of Commercial Sailing ?

Interesting read ....Age of sail boats inspires green solutions - CNN.com
Old 10-12-2010, 11:36   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Absolutely. Assuming the world doesn't sink into a bottomless abyss of resource wars, (Very likely) then perhaps the world can go back to this sort of transportation method. Lets face it, a Clipper with an auxiliary diesel is a pretty efficient way to get cargo from A to B. Critical shipments may still go by air but the days of flying plastic toys from China to the US are rapidly coming to an end as are the huge container ships. Oil will become more valued for its other uses than its ability to make cars, ships, and airplanes move. Things like chemicals, medicines, plastics. All require oil, so burning it so Mamma can take the brats out for dinner at Micky Ds to shut their yappy little faces is about to come to a screeching halt.

Personally, I look forward to seeing clippers (Or their modern equivalents) running around the world again.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 15:27   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
THere will be no return to sail, its simply not efficient enough, too much manpower, too fickle.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
THere will be no return to sail, its simply not efficient enough, too much manpower, too fickle.
Dave
There you go again, ruining a perfectly beautiful fantasy with reality . . . .
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:39   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving
Oil is going to continue to climb,

Interesting enough there is a wine company in italy i think that ships it wine only by sail these days,,,

Several large tankers have tried an additional sail to help with fuel cost, like a big lying kite but have had little success.

there is a current design along the lines of a hugh tanker powered by sail but it is still in the planning stage,,, interesting concept
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07   #6

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Here is a 2009 photo capturing part of one of three masts on a modern square-rigged sailing boat (100+ feet long?). Appears sails are internally furled and masts rotate and sails trimmed using motors. Here it is pictured at the cruise-ship pier in San Francisco. A week or so earlier I'd seen the boat in Sausalito from across the bay. The boat's available for charter.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Just curiosity.. no digs intended but how much are you guys paying for petrol and disiel these day's...
In the UK its gonna be around 1.28gbp a litre in January... or roughly $7.60/gallon and disiels upto 5p dearer/litre.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:14   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Like it or not, diesel powered ships are the most efficient way to transport goods that we've got. Container ships make trains look like 455 cu in muscle cars as far as fuel costs. As long as there is a demand for trade, diesel powered container ships will prevail.

There may be some niche markets for sail in bulk goods that aren't time critical for delivery. The big problem with sail is labor costs. If the sail handling can't be almost totally mechanized and done reliably, it simply won't be economically feasible. Another problem would be the danger of working sails up a 100' mast. Doubt that it would be viable to run a ship that lost a crewmember on every cruise in today's world. Can we think personal injury lawyers!!!

Fuel here in Kona is about $3.70 a gallon at Costco or $4.00 on the street. Diesel, strangely, is about $.50 a gallon more expensive than regular gas
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:15   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving
average about 3.10 regular i think or there about,,,
how much of you 7.60 go to other things that are included in the cost
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:21   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Here is a 2009 photo capturing part of one of three masts on a modern square-rigged sailing boat (100+ feet long?). Appears sails are internally furled and masts rotate and sails trimmed using motors. Here it is pictured at the cruise-ship pier in San Francisco. A week or so earlier I'd seen the boat in Sausalito from across the bay. The boat's available for charter.

Considering that that vessel, Tom Perkins' Maltese Falcon, cost "more than $150 million, but less than $300 million," I doubt such technology will be quickly adapted to a return of commercial sailing.

See: The Maltese Falcon (yacht) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TaoJones
Old 12-12-2010, 11:26   #11

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just curiosity.. no digs intended but how much are you guys paying for petrol and disiel these day's...
In the UK its gonna be around 1.28gbp a litre in January... or roughly $7.60/gallon and disiels upto 5p dearer/litre.
Current price for gasoline is $1.10-$1.12 Cdn. per litre with diesel a penny less but most of that is taxes,taxes and more taxes.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
average about 3.10 regular i think or there about,,,
how much of you 7.60 go to other things that are included in the cost
Over 80% is in taxes then the rest broken down the chain...
Portugals a tad cheaper the UK still...
I wonder if the extra rate's for deisel is to cover what they lose in mileage against the petrol engine... they've broken it down to thermal units instead of fluid ones...lol

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49   #13

Boat: Own designs
Send a message via Skype™ to Kanfish
Sail Assisted -- Offshore Tuna Troller, Ocean Cruiser, Mini Super Yacht

Hello,
I am sure there might be a few people that may be interested in a Sail Assisted 29 meter vessel that would fit into your Cruising world and a number of other aspects of the marine scene. I will be interested in the feed back that may follow this posting. New Member.
See; KANSAI HOME for the web site. Just online 23 rd October 2010

regards

Rodney eg; Kanfish
Kanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Sailing Merchants Ships would be a nice dream! But the money people will not allow it until it's economically worth it. But when it does happen there will hardly enough fuel to build the ships and the seas will probably be under full control or fuel wars not allowing sea travel.

I'd love to get a job on one of those vessels like my father did (born 1903) but I'll never see the day in my lifetime.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	merchant-pin.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	21898  
Old 12-12-2010, 12:21   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanfish View Post
Hello,
I am sure there might be a few people that may be interested in a Sail Assisted 29 meter vessel that would fit into your Cruising world and a number of other aspects of the marine scene. I will be interested in the feed back that may follow this posting. New Member.
See; KANSAI HOME for the web site. Just online 23 rd October 2010

regards

Rodney eg; Kanfish
Intriguing mast and rig set-up...