Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 13:04   #76

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
The times they are a changing and not for the better. We are living in the end of an era. The new era will not be high tech and pristine clean. It will be nasty and dirty and life as you and I know it is going to get infinitely harder. Enjoy it while you can.
I never get the doom and gloom people. Heck, the Amish have been living low tech for decades and they have a higher happiness index than the rest of us.

But technology will change and adapt with the times and it's really hard to guess where it'll go. Take a look at 3d printing. It's an emergent technology that's about where personal computing was in the late 70's, technology wise. It could easily shatter and revolutionize how manufacturing happens in our world the same way personal computers have had an impact on business.

20 years ago when I wanted to read a book I'd drive to the mall and hit up Waldenbooks and browse through their small selection of sci-fi and fantasy. Today brick and mortar book stores are a dying breed and I buy and download books instantly onto my Kindle.

If shipping becomes expensive, it'll just be used less and less in our daily lives. You'll be buying more local foods because they're cheaper, consume digital media, and that replacement door handle you need for your boat? You'll lease the digital plotting blueprint from some kid in China and take it down the street to Kinko's 2.0 where it'll be printed out for you on site.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2010, 11:31   #77

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
This thread has really spun off into another region!

My take on the crude oil situation? Thanks, glad you asked......

North America has more oil in the ground than the rest of the world combined. The cheeky bastages who control it, have got the Middle East to sell theirs for a pittance, and have the Pacific Rim thoroughly "hooked" (think of the crack dealer who gives out "free" samples to young kids). Eventually the sandbox will come up dry, as will the North Sea, Venezuela, etc.....

Guess what? When North America has the ONLY oil, all the dollars will flow back 10x fold. The oil barrons will be rich beyond rich... modern royalty! The middle class, long gone, will just be so much cannon fodder.
One little problem with that scenario, ... By the time THEY run out of oil they will likely OWN us.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:35   #78

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
::cough::Coal::cough::

Doesn't make people glow. Can keep a schedule. Enough available to easily last for 200 years. Long history of use in merchant vessels..... wouldn't bet on sail dominating the merchant trade any time in my lifetime.
ad_astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 16:20   #79
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
::cough::Coal::cough::
Hurray , the return of the Stanley Steamer, I cant wait

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote