Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2019, 12:10   #76
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Rebel Heart's wife has her say

I refer to the news channels as entertainment channels with a low sitcom budget.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:59   #77

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I refer to the news channels as entertainment channels with a low sitcom budget.
One of the better descriptions I've read!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 13:38   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Low budget? Not necessarily .

Rachel Maddow, a liberal political commentator for MSNBC, and Charlie Rose, a political correspondent for CBS, both earn $2 million a year.
Joe Scarborough, a conservative political commentator for MSNBC, earns $3.5 million, while Chris Matthews, a liberal political commentator for MSNBC, earns $4.5 million.
Laura Ingraham, a conservative political commentator on XM Radio, earns $7 million a year.
Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, all conservative political commentators (Fox), earn $20 million or more a year.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:30   #79

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
HuffPost has been rated Left-Biased, due to story selection that favors the left, and factually High due to proper sourcing of information.
Whereas:
Fox News has been rated strongly Right-Biased due to wording and story selection that favors the right, and Mixed factually based on poor sourcing and the spreading of conspiracy theories that later must be retracted after being widely shared.

Whose "facts" are those? Yours? You're not posting any link. Why not?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:35   #80

This thread has been hijacked.

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss media bias.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:48   #81

Quote:
Low budget? Not necessarily .

Rachel Maddow, a liberal political commentator for MSNBC, and Charlie Rose, a political correspondent for CBS, both earn $2 million a year.
Joe Scarborough, a conservative political commentator for MSNBC, earns $3.5 million, while Chris Matthews, a liberal political commentator for MSNBC, earns $4.5 million.
Laura Ingraham, a conservative political commentator on XM Radio, earns $7 million a year.
Bill O’Reilly, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, all conservative political commentators (Fox), earn $20 million or more a year.
I think you missed the gist of sailorboy's comment, but whatever.
Old 04-06-2019, 14:50   #82

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
This thread has been hijacked.

Please start a new thread if you want to discuss media bias.
My fault. I simply pointed out that HuffPo has a history of incomplete reporting. Apparently members here have records of communications that would support that.

I’m pleased to read “the rest of the story”.

One lesson learned here is that in the middle of the ocean things can go bad real quick. IMHO It goes worse quicker for the unprepared, particularly for the arrogantly ignorant.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:56   #83

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
I'm sorry Ann but you're really speaking out of school. Diarrheal illness is a leading cause of death of small children worldwide while dehydration is otherwise a leading cause of admission to hospital in the developed world. You seem to over-estimate the utility of oral rehydration fluids in this age range while otherwise are maintaining an overly simplistic view of treating illness with random antibiotics over the phone. Frequently parents don't recognize that there's a dehydration problem until it's nearly impossible to get oral fluids in.

If the children are older, or, if the crew includes people with the knowledge and material to treat small children on boat, well this is another matter. But let's not pretend that infants and toddlers are just "little people" or commingle the merits of older children voyaging with the risks of taking really little ones on long passages at sea.
Hello, Singularity,

Thank you for the graph relative to diarrheal illness deaths worldwide. It is possible that I am a little cavalier about the risk to infants and toddlers. However, I was responding to what you wrote, that it was "idiotic" to take toddlers on long ocean passages. I have two opinions about that: one that it is a very hard row to hoe because of the watch keeping difficulties if the children are to be adequately supervised and it is only a mom, dad, and the wee ones. The second is that I disagree that it is idiotic, or reprehensible. I guess you and I will have to agree to disagree on that. I stand by what I have learned and observed.

Diarrheal illness clearly is a killer, and i wished your graph included regional indications of prevalence, because often it is the less wealthy, less developed countries that suffer worst from this kind of problem.

We are talking about a woman who grew up in the USA, where people are taught from their toilet training, to wash their hands afterwards, and to wash their hands before handling foods. We do not know what protocols Charlotte followed, except that the final washing of what had been dirty diapers was done in one of the sinks. We do not know if she soaked them in bleach water first, after washing them in the toilet to get rid of the greater portion of fecal matter. Nobody knows but Charlotte, and she has not been forthcoming about it.

I raised 3 kids using cloth diapers. People nowadays may not be aware that you do have to sterilize them, as well. There are still available products that do this. They are available in Mexico, as well, where Rebel Heart departed from. I would imagine she was using one of them. No one else on the boat had diarrhea, that we know of. i would also say this: on a sailboat on the passage from Mexico to the Marquesas, there would be times when it would be difficult to get the diapers dry. The squalls when you go through the ITCZ could lead to a back up of drying to do. It is just that people worked these problems out before, and can do so again, and it is not "idiotic", at least, not to me. The parents love the children and take them with them on their adventures.

I do believe the child had had a round of antibiotics, and what Gordon wrote about having left Mexico before they could determine that she was cured was a problem. Not everyone knows to ask for another test to make sure "it" is gone. Such tests are not routinely done. There are guidelines for doing them that doctors follow, and the standards vary among states (within the US) and nations. And you have to know to ask to be re-tested; and people don't know what they don't know.

Yes, there are some risks with taking very young children to sea, and some physicians have written powerfully here on CF relative to those risks. Unfortunately, they are not the same people as live a life at sea. The kids we've known that were either born on their parents' boat, or moved aboard shortly after birth, to my knowledge, did not have illness on passages.

Other than the above, I do think the Kaufmans were unprepared, possibly in terms of lack of experience at sea--how much experience is "enough?" is a question each of us answers for himself--, and in terms of inadequate repairs to the boat, of which I have no doubt whatsoever.

Ann
Old 04-06-2019, 15:30   #84

Boat: Rafiki 37

One of the reasons Fox News got pulled out of the UK was it was about to be fined for breaking the rules around unbiased and accurate reporting by the FCC, which leads me to believe that the channel isn't particularly interested in journalistic integrity

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...es-ofcom-finds

Going back to the main topic, 'how prepared is prepared enough' is an interesting topic, and one that doesn't really have a good answer.
Old 04-06-2019, 15:47   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
One of the reasons Fox News got pulled out of the UK was it was about to be fined for breaking the rules around unbiased and accurate reporting by the FCC, which leads me to believe that the channel isn't particularly interested in journalistic integrity

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...es-ofcom-finds
Funny, but it says to me that the UK is increasingly interested in censorship. But us Yanks are often a bit sensitive towards that sorta thing. It also says to me that citing an article from The Guardian to accuse Fox News of a lack of impartiality is itself rather suspect. I would refer you back to Gord's recent comment questioning whether some people even know the extent of their own bias. Finally, it's worth pointing out that, like Rachel Maddow, Joe Scarborough, and many others, both Hannity & Tucker are strictly opinion broadcasters, not fact journalists. But I would also forgive you since those used to be bright lines in journalism which no longer seem to exist.

P.S. The FCC is the governing regulatory agency in the US. Does the UK also have a regulatory body governing broadcasting with the same name/acronym?
Old 04-06-2019, 15:54   #86
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
... P.S. The FCC is the governing regulatory agency in the US. Does the UK also have a regulatory body governing broadcasting with the same name/acronym?
No.
Ofcom is the regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. It regulates the TV and radio sectors, fixed line telecoms, mobiles, postal services, plus the airwaves over which wireless devices operate.
Standards of advertising on TV, radio or the internet are regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/what-is-ofcom

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 15:57   #87

Quote:
No.
Ofcom is the regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries. It regulates the TV and radio sectors, fixed line telecoms, mobiles, postal services, plus the airwaves over which wireless devices operate.
Standards of advertising on TV, radio or the internet are regulated by the Advertising Standards Authority.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/what-is-ofcom
Thanks. The poster probably just meant to say the UK "equivalent" of the (US) FCC.
Old 04-06-2019, 16:05   #88

Oops - I have no idea how I managed to put the wrong name, especially as I even wrote to Ofcom myself about something when I was living in the UK!
Old 04-06-2019, 16:19   #89

Oh such a fun discussion…

I continue to stress that this article is not about the questionable preparations this couple did to go cruising. The issue this article addresses is the increasingly over-protective parenting we’re seeing in our societies, and the related impacts on parents and kids who buck this damaging trend. Whether you think these parents are bad, or fame-seeking, or whatever, is irrelevant to the broader point.

As for Fox being right wing, I’m rather amused to see people pushing back on that notion. Any unbiased viewing of the channel will reveal a clear right-of-centre bias. I do find their main news people to be pretty good journalists. Shepard Smith, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier all seem very good and pretty even-handed.

And for the record, I like to get my news from RT, Al Jazeera as well as the BBC, CBC, NYT, WSJ, Economist, National Post, and many others. I find a diverse group of sources is the best approach, especially on controversial stories.
Old 04-06-2019, 16:26   #90
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Rebel Heart's wife has her say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh such a fun discussion…

I continue to stress that this article is not about the questionable preparations this couple did to go cruising. The issue this article addresses is the increasingly over-protective parenting we’re seeing in our societies, and the related impacts on parents and kids who buck this damaging trend. Whether you think these parents are bad, or fame-seeking, or whatever, is irrelevant to the broader point.

As for Fox being right wing, I’m rather amused to see people pushing back on that notion. Any unbiased viewing of the channel will reveal a clear right-of-centre bias. I do find their main news people to be pretty good journalists. Shepard Smith, Chris Wallace, Bret Baier all seem very good and pretty even-handed.

And for the record, I like to get my news from RT, Al Jazeera as well as the BBC, CBC, NYT, WSJ, Economist, National Post, and many others. I find a diverse group of sources is the best approach, especially on controversial stories.
Exactimo..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote