Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 12:56   #61
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navagear View Post
But while we're waiting to hear the full story, let's go ahead and speculate about things we don't know about and weren't there to see. That seems likes a productive use of our time and energy, hey what?
First time on the internet, eh? I remember that well

Welcome to CF - you've landed in one of the more civilised places
Old 22-02-2011, 13:01   #62

Boat: Gib sea 43

to make a quote

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

mr shaw.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:03   #63
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
Knowing what I do about the criminal mind, I suspect the pirates lurk in a bottle neck of some sort, where vessels are forced to sail thru a specific area.

I'm probably sailing in that direction next year. What is the safest route?
Yeah.... the bottle necks called the Indian Ocean... the pirates started small... first they captured foriegn fishing vessels.. big ones....
Now they are using these as Mother Ships based far out from the coast (upto 1000 miles)... so basically you take a chance... no one knows who or where they are till they hit... and when they do its no help as they do not return to 'Momma'... they head for Somalia with the trophy..
Good luck for next year... recommend Maldives/Chagos, Reunion, SA....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:07   #64

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
to make a quote

“Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.”

mr shaw.
Sure, the pirates are unreasonable, but I highly doubt all progress depends on them...
Old 22-02-2011, 13:10   #65

If you look at the icc statistics there were more attacks in the first 2 months of this years than the whole of 2005 and possibly 2006 as well. Just shows you how its escalating. Turn about, ship the boat or do SA or run the gauntlet and pray to whatever deity it is you believe in or get a really big gun
Old 22-02-2011, 13:12   #66

Progress can be both positive or negative...... but its still progress.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:16   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

This thread has been to stray some from waht is acceptable here on the forum. I realise that under the circumstances people do feel a need to express some frustration but it will be closed if you don't take a moment and think about what you're posting; keep it within the guidelines for posting at CF and the thread will be able to continue.

Thanks.

Old 22-02-2011, 13:30   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

Apologies folks... that censure is down to my undiplomatic print... whats new...
but, in an attempt to put the hysteria in perpective may I post this.... if out of order feel free to complain or delete.... there's more closer to home to worry about than pirates of Somalia
Man killed in cinema after popcorn complaint - Yahoo! News UK

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 22-02-2011, 13:51   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Apologies folks... that censure is down to my undiplomatic print... whats new...
but, in an attempt to put the hysteria in perpective may I post this.... if out of order feel free to complain or delete.... there's more closer to home to worry about than pirates of Somalia
Man killed in cinema after popcorn complaint - Yahoo! News UK

Argh! This must stop! Anyone coming within 40 yards of a movie theater carrying a bag of popcorn should be shot on sight. They have no excuse for interfering with our right to view a movie in silence. These loud crunchers can't be negotiated with. And I don't want to pay to give them 3 hot meals and a place to sleep. Just shoot em on sight and let the rest of us enjoy our movie in peace.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Old 22-02-2011, 13:54   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

For those throwing stones at the Navy for not taking action sooner; go below on your boat and look around and figure out how the navy could have gotten on the boat, gotten below, and taken out the pirates before they could have responded!
Old 22-02-2011, 14:02   #71
CLOD

Boat: none
Pirates Vow Revenge

In the below article:

4 American hostages killed by Somali pirates - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com

I have a real problem with the pirates "spokesman" talking about how he was wronged because he has lost $110,000 investment for weapons and money paid in salaries for the pirate crew.

To not go flaming off on some past veiuws about the pirate issue cause etc I am just going to leave it at the quotes in the article and you judge!
Old 22-02-2011, 14:15   #72

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Re: Pirates Vow Revenge

Ahhhgg, that's aweful news. Not good at all. Interesting, I didn't know the pirates were going as far as this, a quote from the article: "the mother ships allowing the pirates to strike as far away as the coast of India." That's quite a ways from Somalia.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:21   #73

Boat: looking

Very sorry to read about this. Also sorry to read that some wish to blame the men & women who risk their lives to help others - for really lousy wages - on an almost daily basis. The sailors on the "Quest" were warned that they could run into a situation like this & chose to ignore the warning(s). If there is a value to these forums to be found in this incident, perhaps it is this: when people suggest that a planned action may result in your demise, you should listen.
Mike
Old 22-02-2011, 14:21   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Pirates Vow Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
In the below article:

I have a real problem with the pirates "spokesman" talking about how he was wronged because he has lost $110,000 investment for weapons and money paid in salaries for the pirate crew.
just goes to show how little these people value human life,if you really want to hurt them,freeze their assets................
Old 22-02-2011, 14:26   #75

R.I.P., prayers sent to the family and friends.

However, why bother capturing the pirates, why not dispense of them right there, make them walk a plank or stick them back in their boat and make their hull look like swiss cheese, let them sink to the bottom slowly, miles from shore.

Maybe the old Trojan horse trick should be used for a while. Move in to those waters with slow moving shipping vessels and wait for pirates to approach the vessel...the cargo, 50 cals and rpg's.
Closed Thread