Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 16:54   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Portion of the Mississippi River closed to Navigation

I just saw on my local TV news that the Mississippi River has been closed from Muscatine Iowa to Hannibal Missouri due to high water and debris. May be closed for up to two weeks. For those planning on doing the Great Loop keep an eye on the weather here in the midwest. So far it has been very wet and if it continues for a long length of time it could make this part of the trip difficult or impossible. Let us hope this does not turn into a repeat of the summer or 1993.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 19:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Personally, I would vote against the Mississippi as part of the great loop under all conditions. The TenTom canal can allow you to skip the whole river. The Mississippi above the Ohio River to Minneapolis is pretty nice and very scenic but below that its just one of those really big rivers with little to see and not much to do until you get to the end.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2008, 21:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am wondering how much the Illinois River has been affected. This is a critical link in the Loop. Some of the maps I have seen had parts of the river in the heavy rain and flood area. It is too far away to be part of the local news here so I have not seen much mention of it or any problems.

Patrick, age 9
Old 25-06-2008, 03:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am wondering how much the Illinois River has been affected. This is a critical link in the Loop.
The basin area of th Illinois River is not that large by comparisson, but I'm sure the river is up some but should have crested by now. How is the in MPLS Mississippi right now?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 15:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pblais
The river here in Minneapolis is up, but well within it's banks. Most of the heavy rain was south of us. The river has pretty high banks through most of the Twin Cities area so most of the problems happen south of the metro area. A few low lying areas in St Paul have a flooding potential but not this time.

Patrick, age 9
Old 25-06-2008, 17:32   #6

Boat: Lagoon 420
I was just touring these areas. Anyone on the Great Loop would have no problem because the Illinois River meets the Mississippi River just north of St Louis and just before the Missouri River joins the Mississippi. There is only one lock between the IL River and the Gulf of Mexico (#26). It is still operating.

Also, the MS River should crest at St. Louis in the very near future. All of the bottlenecks are north of where the IL River flows into the MS.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I live in St. Louis during the hurricane season.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 19:00   #7

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Personally, I would vote against the Mississippi as part of the great loop under all conditions. The TenTom canal can allow you to skip the whole river. The Mississippi above the Ohio River to Minneapolis is pretty nice and very scenic but below that its just one of those really big rivers with little to see and not much to do until you get to the end.
The Miss river from the IL river to the Ohio river is very scenic with great bluffs and beaches. The great loop should be Lake Michigan to the IL river to the Miss river to the Ohio river, down to LBL, to the AL river to Mobile Bay. If anyone is in the area where the IL enters the Miss river give me a call. Right now my boat is anchored out with the Miss river flowing 400+ KCFS, that's 400,000 cubic feet per second of water.
Old 25-06-2008, 19:04   #8

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
I was just touring these areas. Anyone on the Great Loop would have no problem because the Illinois River meets the Mississippi River just north of St Louis and just before the Missouri River joins the Mississippi. There is only one lock between the IL River and the Gulf of Mexico (#26). It is still operating.

Also, the MS River should crest at St. Louis in the very near future. All of the bottlenecks are north of where the IL River flows into the MS.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I live in St. Louis during the hurricane season.
The river is CLOSED! Go to RiverBills
Old 06-08-2008, 03:32   #9

Re: Portion of the Mississippi River closed to Navigation

Stabilization. Modern-day revetment. Close-up of completed revetment at Island 63 Bar (Miss. approximate river mile 638 AHP. Underwater revetment is of articulated concrete mattress; upper bank paving is rip rap stone. This type of revetment has proven most durable, and in the final analysis most economical.
----------------------------
Madhu

Treatment Progrrams in Mississippi-Jackson Addiction Recovery Resources | Treatment Centers
madhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mississippi, navigation