Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Polish sailor completes circumnavigation in a 22ft sailboat

Rognvald, you idiot, how could you forget the bidet? Very fun post and yes, it is amazing the creature comforts people feel they need on a journey. All of those systems need space, bring high cost of maintenance, troublesome repairs that gnaw at your psyche, and costs a ton of money.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58   #17

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
does not pass the stability requirements for Class A and it is not an offshore boat.

Remember this guy? Áron Méder.
Circumnavigated in an old, 19' Carina that was as KISS as one can get while still sitting on a boat and not just swim.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Rognvald, you idiot, how could you forget the bidet? Very fun post and yes, it is amazing the creature comforts people feel they need on a journey. All of those systems need space, bring high cost of maintenance, troublesome repairs that gnaw at your psyche, and costs a ton of money.
Alan,
Since the boat was not French, I omitted the bidet! And, no self respecting Pole would even consider one! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 09-03-2016, 13:05   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Great achievment he's done. BUT, I find all of these comments laughing at what makes an off shore boat, and 'next time' discussions about what you need quite silly.

I began following this chap when he set off though didn't know he'd finishes. As Pollux points out this was a purpose built 22 footer with exceptional safety features not found on any other 22 footer.

Suggesting that this story in anyway adds to discussions around casual cruising questions is like making the same comment about those who build row boats to cross the Pacific. 'Oh anyone can cross the pacific in a row boat'
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:09   #20

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

Remember this guy? Áron Méder.
Circumnavigated in an old, 19' Carina that was as KISS as one can get while still sitting on a boat and not just swim.
There is a guy that have made on on a beach cat, well, he destroyed the boat at the middle, been thrown to a beach while asleep, but completed it later from that place till the finish.

Bottom point, if someone is lucky and good enough it is possible to do that even on boats not suited for offshore sailing but with different safety margins.

That guy that you posted had done it on a lake boat and was very lucky. The Guy on the Maxus 22 has done it on a small boat specially prepared for it, a boat with a big stability due to the big ballast and form stability, a more seaworthy boat.

The Django 7.70, the other I posted, it is also a boat with a big stability, unsinkable and a much more seaworthy boat than that lake boat.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:14   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Alan,
Since the boat was not French, I omitted the bidet! And, no self respecting Pole would even consider one! Good luck and safe sailing.
I don't know why. Many French boats are made in Poland

The Polish have a great record in what regards solo sailing around the world and Women better than men. Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz was the first women to ever having accomplished a solo circumnavigation back in 1976.

After that more Polish girls circumnavigated solo, almost all in small boats and all built in Poland.
Old 09-03-2016, 14:36   #22

Boat: Liberty 458

Magnificent

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 16:27   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Bottom point, if someone is lucky and good enough it is possible to do that even on boats not suited for offshore sailing but with different safety margins.
The bottom line is no one ever talks or counts about the ones that fail, which I think is disrespectful. Let's take that solemn thought on the breath in, but still give this guy congrats on the exhale out.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 18:49   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
The bottom line is no one ever talks or counts about the ones that fail, which I think is disrespectful. Let's take that solemn thought on the breath in, but still give this guy congrats on the exhale out.
Maybe you would have not noticed if this guy had failed but normally this kind of stuff out of the ordinary is noticed on sail magazines. I followed all those navigations, the guy on the lake boat, the Polish on the Maxi 22 and the French on the Django 7.70. I am still following that one since he is crossing the Pacific after having sailed the Patagonia and made the Magalhães strait.

If any of them had failed or if they had problems I would certainly have known since it would have been noticed on the magazines that followed those circumnavigations.

You don't need to buy sail magazines since I followed some of those circumnavigations on the interesting sailboat thread and on my blog.
Old 09-03-2016, 18:51   #25

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Come on Monkey, this is CF the ones that 'fail' are always the subject of CF threads
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 00:14   #26

Send a message via Skype™ to Kreef

FUNTASTIC!!!!!!! I have lived since birth within the short distance of 30 km from The Cape of Storms Cape Point Lighthouse and can see it's flashes across False Bay from the little Glen Beach from where the mystical ghost ship The Flying Dutchman was reputed to have been seen sailing, forever the Captain van Der Dekken, who cursed God during a storm condemned to sail eternally.
A big congratulations to that young man.Isn't it amazing the tenacity of man .
I have been out there off Cape Point often and it gets really scary .Both on my 36 ft Dean Aero which I have no longer and on my brothers 26 ft Ski Boat fishing out in The Canyon as it is known about 40 miles out for tuna .
AWESOME !!!!!LUV IT !!!!
Old 10-03-2016, 00:23   #27

Boat: 1998 Moody 40

I especially liked "read the books: 225"!
SkipMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 04:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
FUNTASTIC!!!!!!! I have lived since birth within the short distance of 30 km from The Cape of Storms Cape Point Lighthouse and can see it's flashes across False Bay from the little Glen Beach from where the mystical ghost ship The Flying Dutchman was reputed to have been seen sailing, forever the Captain van Der Dekken, who cursed God during a storm condemned to sail eternally.
A big congratulations to that young man.Isn't it amazing the tenacity of man .
I have been out there off Cape Point often and it gets really scary .Both on my 36 ft Dean Aero which I have no longer and on my brothers 26 ft Ski Boat fishing out in The Canyon as it is known about 40 miles out for tuna .
AWESOME !!!!!LUV IT !!!!
I assume you are talking about cape of Good Hope? Did not know that the original (translated) name was still used.

The first Europeans that managed to pass that cape called it cape of Tormentas (big storms), for obviously reasons. Later the King found that was a bad name for a Cape and changed the name for Cape of Boa Esperança (Good Hope), good hope to reach India sailing around it. That was more than 500 years ago and it is amazing how the original name is still used.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
This cannot be true since an offshore boat must be at least 40 feet and have the following equipment:
1.) refrigeration
2.) watermaker
3.) radar
4.) wind generator/extensive solar panels
5.) SSB
6.) Manson or Rocna anchor with all chain rode
7.) all deck parts bedded in butyl tape
8.) double lifelines
9.) reliable diesel engine with spare parts
10.) water tanks
11.) head
12.) microwave/blender/inverter
13.) stove
14.) solid fiberglass hull
15.) and, of course, a big screen tv
Did I miss anything? This must surely be a fictitious story since a serious circumnavigation could only be successful in a well-found condo-palace of serious offshore design. Perhaps the OP would like to retract this post for something more truthful. We anxiously await your response. In disbelief, Rognvald
You omitted:
16. Large generator.
17. Comprehensive (and consequently very expensive) insurance.
And the perennial favorite:
18. AC.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:00   #30

Quote:
I don't know why. Many French boats are made in Poland

The Polish have a great record in what regards solo sailing around the world and Women better than men. Krystyna Chojnowska-Liskiewicz was the first women to ever having accomplished a solo circumnavigation back in 1976.

After that more Polish girls circumnavigated solo, almost all in small boats and all built in Poland.
It all goes back to a long time naval tradition of the Hanseatic League of the middle ages with Gdansk being the old port of Danzig and a major League port.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, sail, sailboat