Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 14:04   #226

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Pirates operating in Southern Ocean........

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrom snoyl View Post
The killing of sharks all along the east coast of austraila is still going on ever day just for their fins even though people think its not happening
And you have observed this ?
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:13   #227

Boat: grampian 26

Disclaimer: No Whales or Pyrates were harmed while posting to this thread.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:18   #228

Arrr, I be a pirate then.

There are no reasons to hunt the number of whales that they do, every year. Where are the research papers and scientific studies then? Why do they go all the way to the Southern Ocean and not off the coast of Japan? Real researchers would tr to find a way to not kill the animals first, and wouldn't sell it off second.

I think the same thing is happening with over fishing too, but the blame is falling on the quotas instead of the actions of the fishermen in the hayday where they would catch as many as they could. Now that the fish populations have declined in many areas, it has become a big problem.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 20:50   #229

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
That's funny right there! Now only if there was one with the Japanese saying "Research?!?! HEHE YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...that's it...........RESEARCH!!!! "

It's culinary research.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 21:11   #230

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM

It's culinary research.
Hmmmmmm that's pretty good
Old 03-03-2013, 22:16   #231

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
And you have observed this ?
Anyone even suspected of that kind of fishing would be flogged in quick order, the only instances that i've heard of this is North in the Arafura and maybe NW West Australia, but never off East Coast, the reefs are patrolled etc.

Think it was a wild baseless posting?
Old 03-03-2013, 22:46   #232

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Cruising in the Sea of Cortez some years ago we noted beaches covered with shark carcasses minus the fins. Not too hard to figure where they came from.

In more recent years we've done many trips up and down the Qld coast. Have never seen anything like the above abomination... not even one such carcass. I'm not sure what this proves, but if there are finners at work, they are sure more careful with the remains. Of course, "flake", as shark meat is called in Aussie fish and chip shops, is quite popular, so maybe there is more complete usage of the sharks. If so, I'm not as outraged...

But, I must say that I too rather doubt the existence of such a trade here.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-03-2013, 22:49   #233

Boat: Joubert Koala 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I'm completely opposed to the whaling done by the Japanese. By I also completely disagree with the Sea Shepard's actions and agree it constitutes piracy. Their ship should be seized, sunk, and every one of them thrown in jail.
+1

I'm anti-whaling, AND anti sea-shepherd. Of course they're pirates... Regardless of their cause.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 22:52   #234

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

You blokes really crack me up!

When we are at sea and or at an isolated anchorage and I miss out on my CF dosage, we do our daily stuff and forget about the minor issues that worry the rest of the world. Bush, Obama, Julia, KRudd, carbon tax, price of oil/gold/coal/semen/whatever. Who really cares? What are we concerned about?... a clean pure life with snorkelling, fishing, sex, maintenance, decent exchange rate, food, company, etc.

But then... when the internet blasts a connection through to our humble abode and I can read the hilarious **** that comes up here again.... I sometimes really, seriously, do not know what to think...

It must be time to escape again! Chase those turtles, get some protein, run from the bureaucrats and evade the PC brigade!!!!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 23:50   #235

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
You blokes really crack me up!

When we are at sea and or at an isolated anchorage and I miss out on my CF dosage, we do our daily stuff and forget about the minor issues that worry the rest of the world. Bush, Obama, Julia, KRudd, carbon tax, price of oil/gold/coal/semen/whatever. Who really cares? What are we concerned about?... a clean pure life with snorkelling, fishing, sex, maintenance, decent exchange rate, food, company, etc.

But then... when the internet blasts a connection through to our humble abode and I can read the hilarious **** that comes up here again.... I sometimes really, seriously, do not know what to think...

It must be time to escape again! Chase those turtles, get some protein, run from the bureaucrats and evade the PC brigade!!!!
Way to go.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:04   #236
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Cruising in the Sea of Cortez some years ago we noted beaches covered with shark carcasses minus the fins. Not too hard to figure where they came from.

In more recent years we've done many trips up and down the Qld coast. Have never seen anything like the above abomination... not even one such carcass. I'm not sure what this proves, but if there are finners at work, they are sure more careful with the remains. Of course, "flake", as shark meat is called in Aussie fish and chip shops, is quite popular, so maybe there is more complete usage of the sharks. If so, I'm not as outraged...

But, I must say that I too rather doubt the existence of such a trade here.

Cheers,

Jim

Just to be clear, I am vehemently anti-whaling, anti-shark finning, and anti-unnecessarily killing things in general. But this guy crosses the line too easily without thinking about the repercussions to others. He's totally crazy to me. Check out this vid, made by people totally biased towards his cause. I think Costa Rica did the right thing in charging him with attempted murder. You can clearly see that lives are at risk when he rams the small wooden fishing boat full of poor third world fishermen trying to make a living with his massive steel ship. This problem needs to be addressed in other ways, preferably ways that don't punish poor hungry people with children.

YouTube
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31   #237

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Just to be clear, I am vehemently anti-whaling, anti-shark finning, and anti-unnecessarily killing things in general. But this guy crosses the line too easily without thinking about the repercussions to others. He's totally crazy to me. Check out this vid, made by people totally biased towards his cause. I think Costa Rica did the right thing in charging him with attempted murder. You can clearly see that lives are at risk when he rams the small wooden fishing boat full of poor third world fishermen trying to make a living with his massive steel ship. This problem needs to be addressed in other ways, preferably ways that don't punish poor hungry people with children.

YouTube
Couldn't agree with you more, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-03-2013, 01:54   #238

Boat: Lagoon 440

LMAO there back!

Tracker reveals whaling vessel turn-around - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23   #239

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
SunDevil: Why do they go all the way to the Southern Ocean and not off the coast of Japan?
Because the radioactivity off Japan is such that the catch is already cooked....no good for sushi, and scares the kiddies when you check on them at night and you're glowing like the Toxic Avenger.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Anyone even suspected of that kind of fishing would be flogged in quick order, the only instances that i've heard of this is North in the Arafura and maybe NW West Australia, but never off East Coast, the reefs are patrolled etc.

Think it was a wild baseless posting?

I love the way some people on this forum are able to judge weather or not something posted is true or not well if that [post i put up was baseless im afraid your wrong because i spent over a year on various surface and bottom longlines up and down the east of oz and saw it first hand, yes certain sharks were fully used for flake for the fish and chip shops but most of what i saw were thrown back in the water and not used