Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 21:33   #106

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Pirates operating in Southern Ocean........

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
What is relevant is he had an explosive device tossed at him and was hit in the chest by metal fragments.
PUUUULLLEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZ

That was as fake as a bad B movie! Swamp Thing was more convincing!

DOJ, like it or not, is right. They are not breaking a law! It SUCKS that they killing whales that don't need to be killed...and I'd be fine with any legal attempt to stop it.

Like a certain polarizing figure on TV says...you can't justify bad behavior with bad behavior!
Old 28-02-2013, 21:50   #107

APleanty time at work tonight so I'm looking at recent news re Watson...did anyone post this already? It seems he was forced to resign from SS.

Also...and this is FUNNY......the guy that owned that boat that was sunk is sueing him cause ... "Gil maintains that he had lent Watson and the Sea Shepherd the boat on the basis that they would take care of it.... The suit claims that Watson, being the marketer as he is, saw the collision as an opportunity to garner support for his cause and secretly ordered members of his crew to scuttle the boat “under the cover of darkness”, then blamed the whole thing on the Japanese.
Now Gil is pursuing more than $5 million in damages from Watson for failing to keep up with his end of the bargain....lol

http://gcaptain.com/sea-shepherds-pa...-real-ady-gil/ (no idea of accuracy)

I lent my boat to a terrorist org and they BROKE IT
Old 28-02-2013, 22:04   #108

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Well...I'll chime in here. Please keep in mind that this situation did not start out with all this ramming, acid and what not. It escalated over time. Every time the Japanese raise the anti, so did Watson. He won't back down and why should he? There is a world ban on whaling. The loop-hole that the Japanese use is specimens for research. We all know that is a crock of crap. There is another small town in Japan that herds dolphins into a small cove and slaughters them. Not exactly the kind of people I like to party with. I am grateful for this thread. It reminds me that I should donate to them in support. I had a really neat close encounter once with a whale off of Monterey. I was on my Tartan Blackwatch and a whale swam withing a few feet of my hull looking up at me. The encounter lasted a good 15 minutes. Why people want to kill these gentle giants is beyond me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 22:09   #109

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
APleanty time at work tonight so I'm looking at recent news re Watson...did anyone post this already? It seems he was forced to resign from SS.

Also...and this is FUNNY......the guy that owned that boat that was sunk is sueing him cause ... "Gil maintains that he had lent Watson and the Sea Shepherd the boat on the basis that they would take care of it.... The suit claims that Watson, being the marketer as he is, saw the collision as an opportunity to garner support for his cause and secretly ordered members of his crew to scuttle the boat “under the cover of darkness”, then blamed the whole thing on the Japanese.
Now Gil is pursuing more than $5 million in damages from Watson for failing to keep up with his end of the bargain....lol

Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson Sued by The Real Ady Gil | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News (no idea of accuracy)

Thanks Gordo for posting that.

At 00:17 you can clearly see the 'thrust' from the props as the engines are gunned in ahead.

That to me from when i first saw it showed a disregard for the prevention of collisions at sea, HE rammed the Japanese vessel. Nothing clearer!
Old 28-02-2013, 22:22   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The loop-hole that the Japanese use is specimens for research. We all know that is a crock of crap.
Totally agree.
Old 28-02-2013, 22:46   #111
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Irrelevant

What is relevant is he had an explosive device tossed at him and was hit in the chest by metal fragments.

What if he wasn't wearing a vest?
What if he was hit in the head?

Do you support the Japanese whalers throwing explosive devices at people?

So what you're saying is that they threw an explosive at him, and he was the only one struck by anything, although other people were standing next to him at the time. You think he and only he was hit by a single piece of shrapnel, with no other evidence of damage to the boat. Despite the fact that he claimed it was a bullet. Choose to believe a skipper who would scuttle his own boat and blame it on someone else if you like. I don't find it surprising he was kicked out of SS, just like Greenpeace kicked him out before. He's a liar.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 23:05   #112

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post

Sea Shepherd’s Paul Watson Sued by The Real Ady Gil | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News (no idea of accuracy)

From the original video I saw was taken from the Rob Barker (I think) by Greenpeace was from directly ahead of the Jap vessel that hit the Andy Gil.
It looked awfully like a setup but certainly that video from the Jap ship clearly shows what happened. To imagine a vessel as fast and relatively manoverable as the Andy Gill not be able to avoid the Whaler.

Absolutely appalling seamanship knowingly placing the crew/vessel in danger.
Small composite vessel vs large steel.

That video clearly confirms what happened. Confirmation.

Difficult to respect Greenpeace/Sea Sheperd using such tactics.

ElGatoGordo Thanks.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46   #113
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well...I'll chime in here. Please keep in mind that this situation did not start out with all this ramming, acid and what not. It escalated over time. Every time the Japanese raise the anti, so did Watson. He won't back down and why should he? There is a world ban on whaling. The loop-hole that the Japanese use is specimens for research. We all know that is a crock of crap. There is another small town in Japan that herds dolphins into a small cove and slaughters them. Not exactly the kind of people I like to party with. I am grateful for this thread. It reminds me that I should donate to them in support. I had a really neat close encounter once with a whale off of Monterey. I was on my Tartan Blackwatch and a whale swam withing a few feet of my hull looking up at me. The encounter lasted a good 15 minutes. Why people want to kill these gentle giants is beyond me.
The "world ban" on whaling has as much legal basis as the ban on Goat hunting in the Southern Ocean by The WGC* , therefore there is no "loop-hole".

*Goat Hunting was banned in the Southern Ocean by the World Goat Council in 2006 as part of establishing that area as a World Goat Sanctuary............ Since that time every country has adhered to the ban on a voluntary basis . Although The WGC are a little concerned about the North Koreans - but with Goat numbers in the Southern Ocean so low it is not expected that it will be a commercially viable activity for some time.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
The "world ban" on whaling has as much legal basis as the ban on Goat hunting in the Southern Ocean by The WGC* , therefore there is no "loop-hole".

*Goat Hunting was banned in the Southern Ocean by the World Goat Council in 2006 as part of establishing that area as a World Goat Sanctuary............ Since that time every country has adhered to the ban on a voluntary basis . Although The WGC are a little concerned about the North Koreans - but with Goat numbers in the Southern Ocean so low it is not expected that it will be a commercially viable activity for some time.......
That's funny right there!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:25   #115
CLOD

Boat: none

[QUOTE=Brogan007;1172182]The nay-sayers here make me smile. How long since any significant volume of people got off their fat asses to actually get their point across? The 60's?Here's these folks, standing up and being counted.
So... What are you doing about your personal crusade? Apart from bitchin' bout others who've actually got enough balls to walk the walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
So here is a group actually doing something to try to save the oceans and not just talking about it.
Well 1 thing I'm not doing is justifying terrorist acts because I "support" the cause. What other causes are you willing to support?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30   #116

True dat Don. This ain't the 60's and SS ain't the Beatles and the S. Ocean AIN'T Woodstock! Nobody's thowing peace sings down there!

Do you really have to pick a side? I'm pretty surprised at the number of people who think it's ok because the cause is "just".
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02   #117

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

Despite the disagreements on this thread, I think most of us are actually on the same page. We agree that protecting the whales and the oceans is a just cause, but we don't necessarily support every tactic used by Sea Shepherd and Paul Watson. But what's the alternative? Curtail Sea Shepherd's efforts and allow the killing of whales to continue?
I'm just as conflicted about the use of drones. Do I want dangerous terrorists stopped before they can kill innocent people? Sure. But do I think it's okay to execute them (along with anyone within 50 yards of them) with airborne robots, no arrest, no trial, no chance for appeal? Not so much. But what's the alternative? Allow their plans to move forward?
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:47   #118

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

[QUOTE=Don L;1172423]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
Well 1 thing I'm not doing is justifying terrorist acts because I "support" the cause. What other causes are you willing to support?
Banning right wing Hunter owners?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40   #119

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54   #120

We placed a ban on killing sharks bigger than 1.2 meters in length and now the number of encounters and human deaths have increases dramatically. We protected the Salt water Croc and now look at their numbers and the serious number of encounters with some disastrous outcomes for the humans. Let the Japs take their quotas the numbers are there counted from Stradbroke Island:

"Whale Watching Off Point Lookout - A Grim Past Heralds A Bright Future
In the winter of 2008, more than 10000 Southern Humpback whales were spotted off the headland at Point Lookout. Their numbers are slowly but steadily increasing with each season, and this is testament to our adjusted thinking and understanding regarding these magnificent creatures. Recent reports indicate that in the 2009 season their number had increased to around 12000, and the 2010 season promises to draw that number closer to 14000."
http://www.straddieonline.com.au/whales/whaleinfo.aspx

I have read somewhere the count for 2012 was 17000. Now I have sailed up and down the east coast for most of my life and can attest to the increase in numbers, so why not let the Japs fill their quotas and maybe the sailing encounters with the whales will remain exciting and not become more and more frighting.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote