Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 18:01   #61
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Pirates operating in Southern Ocean........

Says it all.

YouTube
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:26   #62

Skipmac, Your contention, which I do not disagree with as of yet, is based on the premise that "tourist-induced environmental damage" is confined to a localized area smaller in scope than you suggest. I'm not a hydrologist nor a research chemist (although I was a QA chemist in a former life) so I really don't know to what level, if any, deleterious effects of the tourist industry could be or how far ranging.

I am not trying to conjure the "butterfly effect" here, only that I mean to question if the south Bahamas really are that far, in geographic distance or in influence, from other locales in the Carib. While having been for a few brief trips in the Carib I am not that familiar with that area. Could it be aid, as example, that the C. Sea is closed by weather for a few month of each year and only "flushed" by seasonal fluctuations of certain currents?

I am not disagreeing, I am only asking questions.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:32   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Says it all.

YouTube
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 18:58   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Richard5, more water flows through the Yucatan Strait than all the major rivers in the world. It flows at the rate of approx. 4 knots for most of the 90 odd miles between Cuba and Mexico. Flow is probably slightly less when the trade winds are weak or non existent but the Caribbean is certainly not closed off. It has some of the nicest water I have ever seen.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 19:05   #65

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

Man , dont know were to start..

First , is inteligence the criteria wich we decide on wich animals to eat?
Second, hunting 1000 whales and calling it research is just stupid.

Im not against any whaling or any other hunting because of the inteligence or quteness of the hunted animal. When I see the sea sheperds crew sit and tak about eating a bloody beef as "first thing to do when docked", man , I dont know if I should laugh or cry..

on the other hand, if japan want to hunt whales for food, they should at least have the cohones to admit it and defend their decition at the international organisations.

I believe we should eat the meat we can produce with the absolute minimal possible strain on the animal. I do not know enough to draw conclusions here, but I insist that a proper life is even more important than a humane death.

I have to add one thing. I got much respect for Paul Watson as a mariner at heart. He was the only one who dared to go look after the Berzerk crew while there still was any hope.. (in that freak storm in the mcmurdo sound). Even the australian coast guard ran away. And I have no doubt that he would do the same for the japanese fishermen. dont think he would lift a finger to save their ship though , just the crew..

About the incident: I wont take sides. The japanese is doing something the sea sheperds and others says the international comunity forbids , and nobody acts.
The sea sheperds is terrorizing their legal "recearch", the japanese claims...
My big problem with animal protectionists is this: Ok , you have come to the conclusion that it is wrong to inflict pain in animals.. How the **ck do you defend doing exactly the same, wich you know is wrong, to not animals but people?

But you never ever do anything to compromize the seaworthyness of another vessel.. You just dont do it!! I guess both sides have conflicting views on whos done what, though.

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:31   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I lost all respect for Watson after watching him pretend to have been shot by a Japanese sniper aboard a whaling boat. Even whipped out a bullet he claimed was stuck to his bullet proof vest. What a transparent attempt to lie to the world. While in some ways I applaud the sentiment of what they are doing, I think he is an egomaniac who does this for many reasons other than the ones he states. And he risks the lives of idealistic young people while doing it.
Old 27-02-2013, 20:50   #67

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I lost all respect for Watson after watching him pretend to have been shot by a Japanese sniper aboard a whaling boat.
Even whipped out a bullet he claimed was stuck to his bullet proof vest.
The actual footage has loud bangs and he is hit something.
A crew member (Not Paul Watson) says "have you been shot ?"
A crew member (Not Paul Watson) then removed a bit of metal from the vest and says "you've been hit by a bullet?"(more of a question)

"Shot" does not necessarily mean with a gun fired by sniper
Bullet does not have to come from a gun, it is a projectile
(A bullet is a projectile propelled by a firearm, sling, or air gun.
Bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
At the end of the day it appears he was hit by a bit of metal from an explosive device.

You Americans are obviously used to guns and shooting things and getting shot at.
Paul Watson is Canadian, he more than likely isn't and as an Australian I'm not either.
If I was in a situation like that and had a loud bang go off near me and I felt a corresponding impact on my body I to would probably think I had been shot as well.

Quote:
What a transparent attempt to lie to the world.
Like taking whales for scientific purposes?
Old 27-02-2013, 21:30   #68

Boat: Mac 26X

Paul Watson is a narcissistic child. Sea Shepherd is an eco-terrorist org, no better than Al Qaeda.

The Japanese are liars, they are hunting whales because they want to and because their pride demands they not stop (ie NOT for research). ESPECIALLY when they can't even sell the meat.

The international "community" are cowards with no conviction of character. They are corrupted by power and money...and since neither the Japanese whaling nor the terrorist acts of SS have any impact on the economies of the major world powers, they will not act. If any of this caused a financial loss for the US, UK, other Europeans, Russia, etc...it would stop in a heart-beat.

We should all pee in their sinks!
Old 27-02-2013, 22:19   #69

They are taking whales out of limits. I think a sub would help them. sink the whalers.
Old 27-02-2013, 22:37   #70

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

I've never been quite sure why it's the Japanese that get singled out:

Google Translate
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 22:46   #71
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Paul Watson is a narcissistic child. Sea Shepherd is an eco-terrorist org, no better than Al Qaeda.

The Japanese are liars, they are hunting whales because they want to and because their pride demands they not stop (ie NOT for research). ESPECIALLY when they can't even sell the meat.

The international "community" are cowards with no conviction of character. They are corrupted by power and money...and since neither the Japanese whaling nor the terrorist acts of SS have any impact on the economies of the major world powers, they will not act. If any of this caused a financial loss for the US, UK, other Europeans, Russia, etc...it would stop in a heart-beat.

We should all pee in their sinks!

Too true! I think I may have peed in a few already, metaphorically speaking...
Old 27-02-2013, 22:49   #72
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
The actual footage has loud bangs and he is hit something.
A crew member (Not Paul Watson) says "have you been shot ?"
A crew member (Not Paul Watson) then removed a bit of metal from the vest and says "you've been hit by a bullet?"(more of a question)

"Shot" does not necessarily mean with a gun fired by sniper
Bullet does not have to come from a gun, it is a projectile
(A bullet is a projectile propelled by a firearm, sling, or air gun.
Bullet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
At the end of the day it appears he was hit by a bit of metal from an explosive device.

You Americans are obviously used to guns and shooting things and getting shot at.
Paul Watson is Canadian, he more than likely isn't and as an Australian I'm not either.
If I was in a situation like that and had a loud bang go off near me and I felt a corresponding impact on my body I to would probably think I had been shot as well.

Like taking whales for scientific purposes?

Watch the whole episode. He goes on and on for like five minutes about how hidden snipers aboard Japanese whaling boats are trying to assassinate him, which is why he must wear a bulletproof vest at all times. Drama queen!
Old 27-02-2013, 23:44   #73

Feeding the troll ...

Japanese whaling is not profitable, it is government funded, and is not done for scientific reasons. The underlying reasons are crime and political corruption in Japan, wrapped in manufactured nationalism. To find the real reasons, follow the money.

The way to stop the whaling is to break the cycle of political corruption in Japan, not risk the lives of hard working Japanese sailors.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 01:31   #74

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
80% of the posters here should do a little, tiny bit of research first.

Most of you - but not all! - are just as ignorant as those idiots throwing things at each other in the Southern Ocean.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 01:54   #75

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
80% of the posters here should do a little, tiny bit of research first.

Most of you - but not all! - are just as ignorant as those idiots throwing things at each other in the Southern Ocean.
Meanwhile 98% believe they are in the enlightened 20%........